Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 11:20:41 AM EDT
Gee Arnie, since you and the legislature have managed to solve all the other problems facing the state, it's nice to see that our lawmakers have enough time to deal with such pressing and critical issues such as this.

ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBX04DEQZD.html

Gov. Schwarzenegger Signs Bill to Ban Force Feeding of Birds

By Jim Wasserman Associated Press Writer
Published: Sep 30, 2004

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California will end the force feeding of ducks, geese and other birds to produce the gourmet liver product foie gras by 2012 under legislation signed Wednesday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzengger.

The bill will also ban the sale of foie gras in California starting that same year if it's obtained by force feeding birds.

Schwarzenegger, who received pleas from several celebrities, including former Beatle Paul McCartney, to sign the bill, said it gives producers more than seven years to "evolve and perfect a humane way for a duck to consume grain to increase the size of its liver through natural processes."

"If agricultural producers are successful in this endeavor, the ban on foie gras sales and production in California will not occur," he said in a statement.

Animal rights advocates called the governor's action "a major victory for the ducks and geese."

The state's lone farm engaged in the practice, Sonoma Foie Gras, also hailed it as a victory.

The company's president, Guillermo Gonzales, said his farm would use the time before the ban is implemented "to demonstrate that foie gras production is safe and proper."

Advocates for the bill said the restrictions are needed to stop an agricultural process in which birds are fed huge amounts of food three times a day through a tube inserted into their throats. The practice enlarges the birds' livers up to 10 times their normal size before they are slaughtered.

Foie gras - French for "fat liver" - is served in about 300 restaurants in California, according to the California Restaurant Association, which opposed the bill along with several major farm groups.

The bill's author, Senate President Pro Tem John Burton, D-San Francisco, said several countries have already banned the force feeding practice and the European Union is phasing it out.

Among other celebrities who supported the bill were actors Martin Sheen, Kim Basinger, Alicia Silverstone and Mary Tyler Moore.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#1]
He certainly has been on top of things since he took office.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm......I can't force feed my duck, I can't have sex with my dead X and if I'm a kid I need a note to toast myself...................................................Oh sh*t I must be in California..................
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you still give ducks booze and enlarge thier liver that way ?

GM
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Were they forcing the birds to eat with Barretts? Maybe that's why they banned .50BMG rifles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy,.. he sure is wearing out alot of pens going on his bill signing frenzy!! What's next?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
so what does he sound like when he says "foie gras"?

that's got to be a laugh and a half
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Maria and hollywierd forced him to do the PETA thing.
He will mandate mandatory excersise and balanced diets as the law, failure to comply is verboten!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Great...pre-ban foie gras  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
too funny
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you knuckleheads also notice that he vetoed the bill that would have forced major $$$ for users and facilities at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.  These measures if enacted would have sent most of the port traffic to northern California and or Seattle/Tacoma and a lot of the other businesses out to.He's tossing bones to the left for the most part and coming through on the areas where we need help with the economy.  With the notable exception of the 50s he's been pretty much where he needs to be and has screwed the left many times.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, let's all follow what the European Union does. NOT!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
FUCK CALIFORNIA ! ! !
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
There was this duck standing on the sidewalk near where I was, so I went into a Subway next door.

I wanted a bun, but they would not sell me just the bun.  Apparently the two halves aren't supposed to touch!  So I said to put a lettuce leaf in there.  The guy told me it was $3.  I said, "It is for a duck."  "Oh, then its free".

You see, I did not know that.  Ducks eat for free at Subway.

I would have ordered a bigger sandwich.  "Yes, I'll have the steak and cheese sub.  But don't bother ringing it up, it's for a duck!".  "There are six ducks out there."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There was this duck standing on the sidewalk near where I was, so I went into a Subway next door.

I wanted a bun, but they would not sell me just the bun.  Apparently the two halves aren't supposed to touch!  So I said to put a lettuce leaf in there.  The guy told me it was $3.  I said, "It is for a duck."  "Oh, then its free".

You see, I did not know that.  Ducks eat for free at Subway.

I would have ordered a bigger sandwich.  "Yes, I'll have the steak and cheese sub.  But don't bother ringing it up, it's for a duck!".  "There are six ducks out there."

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Of all of the problems Kalifornistan is facing, this is what he chooses to spend his time on?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#17]
"Foie gras is a French term meaning "fatty liver" '

Good going Arnie, ban anything french.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I heard the other day that he's taking a leave from the office in 2005 to film Terminator 4.

I find that really offensive, if you choose to run for the State Office, you're supossed to quit your filming career for the time being...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Arnie is the best Moderate Democrate we have elected in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
do it for the birds!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
is it just me, or have then been an excessive amount of bans been passed in the PRK recently?

I think of no kids in tanning salons, no pulling weeds with hands, now this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank God, someone posted this topic! I was really worried!

Them Californians think of everything!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hmmm......I can't force feed my duck, I can't have sex with my dead X and if I'm a kid I need a note to toast myself...................................................Oh sh*t I must be in California..................

Can't pick weeds either!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top