I liked it.

GM

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked Wilson.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Didn't understand everything about the film like why radar didn't know where the plane went down, how the plane went down and what the point of leaving on the raft was--where did he hope to wind up?

GunLvr

Anywhere but there, he was going insane talking to a fucking ball, he knew he would rather try than live and die on that shithole. He explained that he couldn't even hang himself because the rope would likely break.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The only think I liked about that 2-hour infomertial was helen hunt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It was alright. I liked the first scene when he's hashing it out in Moscow. I thought his fascination with ice after being rescued was a good touch. The scene when he's spotted by the freighter crew is expertly photographed.

"Let's get something straight, here."

<pregnant pause>

"We have a football team now, but it's in Nashville?"

Pretty funny line, I thought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it had problems getting around to the point, but I really appreciated that we had a movie try something different than the usual formula.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]

I really appreciated that we had a movie try something different than the usual formula.

Umm, Daniel Defoe wrote "Robinson Crusoe" in 1719, so the story isn't exactly original...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never watched the whole thing, I watched it in parts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Sucked, because there is no resolution, or ending.  Hanks made it suck less though, I guess.  Not many actors could pull off a movie where your co-star is a volleyball.

I like the ad though, where it turns out that the red-heads package contained a sattelite phone!  lol

Tied for suckyness with "Joe and the Volcano"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like the ad though, where it turns out that the red-heads package contained a sattelite phone!  lol

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is no "radar" out in the middle of the ocean.

How do they do air traffic control?  Does that mean if a plane goes down in the ocean they can't figure out where it is??

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#15]
poor
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you can appreciate what Tom Hanks character had to go through to survive,
then you could appreciate the movie.

I liked it.

GM

Ditto...Just try and light a fire like he did in the movie- it's a friggen bitch, even under ideal conditions.

I don't understand those who didn't like the ending. It's ambiguity is what life is. If you pay attention to the movie, it's really about seemingly insignificant events that add up to alter Hanks' destiny- for good and bad.

I've never been one for nice, tidy endings.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Boring and pathetic. I hate movies with sad endings...plus he drove away from the red head (lost his mind).
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
From the ending I concluded that the redhead would read the note he left on the package and call him up.  

Also interesting that he'll end up living someplace really land-locked in Texas.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm holding out for this one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Lots of scenes that involved a decision, i.e. crossroads.  The picture at the end was meant to convey the theme even if you had missed all the other crossroads.  Should I go on the flight?  Had to ditch plans with Helen to carry out obligations he felt to job.  When the plane crashed?  How hard should I try to survive?  When faced with a bleak chance of survival on the island he chose to make the best of it after failing on the Cross to kill himself.  Loneliness, invent a friend, i.e embrace the environmentally induced shizophrenia to survive. Putting another persona outside himself physically (Wilson) allowed him to avoid the idea that he was crazy.  He talked to the ball when he otherwise would have possibly just had internal wordless conversations that might have been more debilitating.   Live on the island forever or plot to escape?  Try once or give up after one failure?  Accept the changes that happened while you were away (Helen's new life) or try and get back the past?  Eventually he wonders if there is something fateful about his desire to deliver the package and there you find him at the end of the movie as the camera pulls up and away and you see him (once again) at the "crossroads" in the middle of somewhere.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Boring and pathetic. I hate movies with sad endings...plus he drove away from the red head (lost his mind).

I thought he turned around and drove back toward her.  Been a while since I saw it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought he turned around and drove back toward her.  Been a while since I saw it.

Close... after noticing the wings on the back of her truck, he walks out in the middle of the intersection and turns to look in each direction, pondering where to go next.  He ends up facing back in the direction of the redhead's house, looks, and smiles.

Sure, some hot, steamy sex would have made it a little more clear to some people, but I think it's safe to say he drove back to the house.

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Commercial for FedEx, I'd give it a C.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Long boring movie......
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Great movie...

On location in Russia and some island in BFE, a lot ot time and thought went into it.
Asking the natives permission to use the land, having to ship everything in,
long boat rides back and forth everyday, waited a year between filiming so Hanks could loose weight, etc.

Check out the extra CD if you can. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Loved it.......even felt bad for him when Wilson drifted away.....

I thought it was a decent enough movie. Probably a good date movie.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top