Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:57:12 AM EDT
Student Suspended for Smelling like Smoke

CONYERS, Ga. (AP) -- A 17-year-old girl is expected to begin in-school suspension today after an assistant principal at a high
school in Rockdale County accused her of smelling like smoke.

Carlton Bates says his 17-year-old daughter -- Amanda -- was put on suspension at Salem High School after she went to the office
last week and told an assistant principal she had an upset stomach.

He says the administrator grabbed her shirt, smelled it and her hair and accused her of smoking.

Bates says his daughter replied that she does NOT smoke. But he says officials put her on five days' suspension because she was accused of smelling like smoke.

Amanda said later that her father and sister smoke but that she does NOT.

Salem's principal Robert Cresswell said yesterday he is standing by the school's strict no-smoking policy. He says the student's in-school suspension was to have started Monday, but the girl has NOT been at school this week.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm. She could have walked into the bathroom at my school and smelled like smoke the rest of the day.
You don't have to be a smoker to smell like one.

Besides, He grabbed her shirt and smelled her hair?!
That's borderline if you ask me. I know if I did that at work it'd be called sexual harrassment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's borderline if you ask me. I know if I did that at work it'd be called sexual harrassment.

It's also called assault.  Unwanted touching of any sort constitutes assault if I remember right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Cripes, if they suspended people for smelling of smoke I'd have been suspended too... I don't even smoke but I had to walk through clouds of it to get to the doors of my high school.

Come to think of it, they would have had to suspend my entire school...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
She needs to go to school wearing deer scent......
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard about this on the radio yesterday, and the radio station had a bunch of listeners call in.  Some were outraged, some said she deserved it.  However, one lady who was a member of the school board said something like "parents now expect the school to take care of their children, and if the smoking problem is not fixed, the school could be liable for not taking action".  I was like WTF?  And then I realized: most people are as sheep as they come, and they want the school to take responsibility for their children, yet are outraged when they punish them, and so the schools come back with the ploy that they are just going to punish all or none...Stupid stupid stupid.  Its a vicious circle.  

My stance on this: she should not have been suspended unless she was caught actually smoking on campus.  Circumstantial evidence, last I checked, is still not good enough to convict in a court of law; it should be no different on school campuses.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
How many of your kids will be suspended in the future for smelling like gunpowder?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
never smoked a cigarette in my life, but smelled like it from kindergarten to my senior year, cause of my parents.  i'd break my foot in this guys *ss!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]

i'd break my foot in this guys *ss!

If he did that to my daughter, yes.  I'd stick it in and break it off.

Mother fucker would be facing criminal and civil charges.

And if he were man enough, he'd meet me in the parking lot to take his ass whipping like a man.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
5 days?  That's pretty harsh.  I got caught smoking in high school and only got 1 day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope they didn't mark off any paperwork about her with red pen... could hurt her self esteem.

+1 for some kind of charge from the touching.   I couldn't imagine knowing someone touched my daughter... gonna need some willpower to prevent an asskicking.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Lord knows what they would have done had she smelled like fish.  Maybe killed her.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
5 days?  That's pretty harsh.  I got caught smoking in high school and only got 1 day.

+1 Except I gotthree days. IT probably had something to do with when I got busted I told the teacher "Fuck it I am already busted I am going to finish my smoke first ."He told me to put it out now , and I told him "No" and finished it .

Than agin this is the same school that five kids where busted smokeing pot and they walked .
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
never smoked a cigarette in my life, but smelled like it from kindergarten to my senior year, cause of my parents.  i'd break my foot in this guys *ss!

Same here.  I used to get asked that all the time, and I've never smoked in my life.  It sucks ass.  Add another reason why I homeschool.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Except I gotthree days. IT probably had something to do with when I got busted I told the teacher "Fuck it I am already busted I am going to finish my smoke first ."He told me to put it out now , and I told him "No" and finished it .

Than agin this is the same school that five kids where busted smokeing pot and they walked .

[Battle Droid] Roger, roger! [/Battle Droid]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish it was my daughter……. I live to wage war with our school dept.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I was smoking in my high school's parking lot, and walked right by a cop. He just told me to put it out, and not to do it on school property. This was only 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Just yesterday, my friend got busted
She came home smellin' like smoke
It's such a shame, when you're not trusted
She only had one little toke
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#19]
There was a place outside of school ground

we affectionatly called "smokers corner"

the VP would roll up and tell us to get to class.

no suspensions or anyrhing.

+1 on stomping a mudhole and walking it dry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]
She should've told the administrator, "Hey I wasn't smoking, but everyone else in the bar was."
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
we had a designated smoking area at my high school. we could only use it before school
and at lunch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
under 18 and smoking in this town? go directly to jail, do not pass go
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd sue.  I was told once I smelled like smoke, I said of course I do, both of my parents are smokers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]
AP got it wrong.

According to the local news, the kid admitted to smoking, but then denied admitting to it later.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sammy Hagar--Fast Times at Ridgemont High Sountrack.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd show up for my suspension wearing a healthy dousing of RED FOX URINE.

Ain't nothing worse.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Dam how things have changed.  When I was in high school we actually had a smoking area where anyone was allowed to smoke before school, lunch, and in between classes.  That was twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Both of my parents smoked like chimenys when I was in school, and when I'd get a ride to school with the neighbor kids, the parent that was driving us also smoked a cigar.  After stepping out of a smoke-filled car, I bet we all smelled like tobacco!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's also called assault.  Unwanted touching of any sort constitutes assault if I remember right.

Battery.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Next they'll be suspending you for thinking about smelling like smoke.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sammy Hagar--Fast Times at Ridgemont High Sountrack.  

That was my skull! I'm so wasted!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
My issue isn't really with her smoking in school or suspension for it.
I got caught smoking in HS several times. Punishements got steeper as the number of incidents get higher. I didn't really care and never lied about it.
"Were you smoking in there?" teacher.
"You bet your ass I was. Why you want to bum one?"

Anyway, my concern was him touching her. That isn't right. I don't give a damn what he suspected her of.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]

It happened in Georgia... everyone knows the girls/women in GA dip Copenhagen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How many of your kids will be suspended in the future for smelling like gunpowder?

It won't be for smelling like it.  It will be when they swab their backpacks before going into the school - after they make them remove their shoes - and find trace residue from the last trip to the range.  

Schools have "zero-tolerance" policies to remove from the administrations the responsibility to THINK.  If they come up with a "zero-tolerance" policy, they do not have to use their brains for anything important.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Burden of proof is lies upon the principal to PROVE she was smoking. If he can't prove it, it is a BS suspension.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Salem's principal Robert Cresswell said yesterday he is standing by the school's strict no-smoking policy. He says the student's in-school suspension was to have started Monday, but the girl has NOT been at school this week.

"In-school" suspension = we're gonna get our federal money for this kid, whether we have to teach 'em or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top