Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:21:20 AM EDT
My (massive) company is implementing a new database system based in Oracle this Monday to replace our purchase ordering, financial, employee info, etc. systems.  

I'm in a training class for it right now (and bored off my a$$)

Does anyone else have this particular ERP, or another?  What's your take?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been using Oracle for some time now.  Since the mid 90's.  Worked on one data warehouse, and untold no of apps.  I like it, it has its quirks but it works very well. The best thing in comparing to SQL server is the platform.  On Unix, you turn it on and let it run.  If you run Oracle on a Microsoft box, go ahead and just pull your pistol out and shoot yourslef in the foot now and get it over with.

The one thing that sucks is Oracle does not come with a query tool like SQL server  Enterprise manager.  You either use SQL + (no gui) or buy something.  We all use Toad where I work.  I like it. The other big one is SQL Navigator, it is ok.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, all of our functions here within Oracle have a query function within each function.

The main benefit I think that will come of this will be LESS PAPERWORK - woohoo!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I am Oracle certified OCP. It's a fantastic, but complex database system.

Oracle's development tools suck.

We use .NET for our development environment

ETA... we use Rational for architecture.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been using Oracle for some time now.  Since the mid 90's.  Worked on one data warehouse, and untold no of apps.  I like it, it has its quirks but it works very well. The best thing in comparing to SQL server is the platform.  On Unix, you turn it on and let it run.  If you run Oracle on a Microsoft box, go ahead and just pull your pistol out and shoot yourslef in the foot now and get it over with.

The one thing that sucks is Oracle does not come with a query tool like SQL server  Enterprise manager.  You either use SQL + (no gui) or buy something.  We all use Toad where I work.  I like it. The other big one is SQL Navigator, it is ok.

Yes we also use Toad and it does do a wonderful job....we had been dragging along with scripts in SQL Talk and SQL+ and then someone saw Toad.

What a life saver....

Hey now...  I'm taking offense to the MS comment.  If you confiqure and tune the database properly it will run on Windows flawlessly.  I haven't had to reboot our 2000 Advanced box in 12 months, other than updates.  If you guys are using Toad, you may want to take a look at PL/SQL Developer.  I used to use Toad, until I found Developer.  It's made by Allround Automations.

Check it out.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
yea, but if you have the amount of data we do you have to start mucking with indexes on one drive and data on a diff drive, blah blah.  

For our data footprint, Unix is the only way.

Not nocking Microsoft at all.  I write a lot of app against SQL server and I have to say I enjoy working with SQL server more.  

Yea, we use .Net, VB6, and one shmuck using Power Blunder.

We have a big buy in Cognos too.  It is ok but it was bought because someone told mgt that noone would ever have to put their head down and write a report again.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
We use both stand-alone custom Oracle databases and apps as well as their Ebiz suite 11i.  We use the 11i stuff for our PO's, Acct. Payables, General Ledger, Fixed assests, HR and Payroll.  We are still implementing Payroll right now. It'll be pretty sweet when we are done though.  All the health care and benifits stuff on line, online time sheets (where needed), etc. We don't do CRM stuff or manufacturing (school system) I've always been very happy with the Oracle software, though dealing with Oracle support can be difficult (unless you know hindi :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yea, but if you have the amount of data we do you have to start mucking with indexes on one drive and data on a diff drive, blah blah.  

For our data footprint, Unix is the only way.

Not nocking Microsoft at all.  I write a lot of app against SQL server and I have to say I enjoy working with SQL server more.  

Yea, we use .Net, VB6, and one shmuck using Power Blunder.

We have a big buy in Cognos too.  It is ok but it was bought because someone told mgt that noone would ever have to put their head down and write a report again.  

Oh Oh.  I have 6 seperate RAID arrays for data files and indexes that are split.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Use it every day.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I am Microsoft's biggest banner waving fanatic.

Oracle on MS sucks ass. Period.

About a year ago, I moved our entire data warehouse to RH Linux and haven't looked back. Performance and reliability has gone way up across the board.

That being said, I won't remotely considering developing any new app in anything but .NET.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top