Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 3:02:01 PM EDT
I understand that what happened to Laci Peterson and her child was a travesty, but the case has been broadcast and discussed for over 55 days now. Every night MSNBC dedicates a half hour or an hour to reviewing what Scott Peterson did say or what he didn't say. There are much more pertinent and important news stories going on than this same old BS. People are murdered everyday, this is no different.  American soldiers are dying everyday in Iraq and elsewhere and the media doesn't focus on each of those soldier's lives. Today in Fallujah, two more soldiers were killed battling al-Sadrs militia. Those men are dying only because we won't take off the fucking gloves and get down to business. We could wax those assholes so fast they wouldn't know even know what hit them.

I don't give a damn about which celebrity got knocked up someone else. I don't care that Brittany Spears got married again. I care about the welfare of my country and not hearing about how rich other people are. Message to the media: Get your fucking priorities straight. Okay, enough preaching...

-----

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
More people get killed in NYC and LA every day then in Iraq.

Whats your point?

Change the channel next time.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The only news network I watch is FOX.  I get about 10% from them and the rest of current events I get from the internet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
"...over 55 days now..."?!?

It's been prominent in the news every day since last Christmas.

She's still dead.  So is the unfortunate child.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
In response to sgtar15:

Is there not something more honorable about knowing that your chance of dying is higher than that of  the normal citizen and then still doing your duty? Besides, there are more people in New York than there are American soldiers in Iraq. There are some 4.5 million individuals moving in and out of just the borough of Manhatten everyday, there are maybe 1 million soldiers Iraq. And no, I would say that the members of the iterim government (Indegenous National Gaurd, Police men, etc.) and the American forces incur more casualties on a day to day basis than in New York. 24 Iraqi National Gaurd applicants and 47 more were wounded in a car bomb on a convoy.. doesn't sound like a typical day in NY to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, there were over 700 deaths by homicide in NY city in 2000 (last year for statistics).  About 8 million lived there then.

A bit dangerous, it seems.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
amen

they should just hang the bastard
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It's bizarre how the "media" adopts a story and then milks it for all it's worth. IIRC there are about 15000 murders per year in this country. What makes this one any more important/special then all the others...?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In response to sgtar15:

Is there not something more honorable about knowing that your chance of dying is higher than that of  the normal citizen and then still doing your duty? Besides, there are more people in New York than there are American soldiers in Iraq. There are some 4.5 million individuals moving in and out of just the borough of Manhatten everyday, there are maybe 1 million soldiers Iraq. And no, I would say that the members of the iterim government (Indegenous National Gaurd, Police men, etc.) and the American forces incur more casualties on a day to day basis than in New York. 24 Iraqi National Gaurd applicants and 47 more were wounded in a car bomb on a convoy.. doesn't sound like a typical day in NY to me.

The soldiers in Iraq are VERY honorable.

SO lets remember them by what they accomlished, not by their deaths.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's bizarre how the "media" adopts a story and then milks it for all it's worth. IIRC there are about 15000 murders per year in this country. What makes this one any more important/special then all the others...?

Sort of cute white girl, pregnant. Very photographic couple.  Husband was very vocal/cooperative with press at the beginning.  Lots of pictures and video of Laci.  All ingredients for what the media wants, not just a case, but something to show the home viewers on TV.   You get a lower class black girl, with no pictures and videos...nothing to gawk at, and see how interested the public is about her.  The media is downright slimey when you really think about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yeah really, There was a girl that lived in my area and my brother actually dated that was murdered in NC IIRC and cut up into pieces and put in a 55 gal drum.  How much media did she get, 1 night on the local news and thats it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of cute white girl, pregnant. Very photographic couple.  Husband was very vocal/cooperative with press at the beginning.  Lots of pictures and video of Laci.  All ingredients for what the media wants, not just a case, but something to show the home viewers on TV.   You get a lower class black girl, with no pictures and videos...nothing to gawk at, and see how interested the public is about her.  The media is downright slimey when you really think about it.

Hence the well-known maxim of the "news" biz:  "If it bleeds, it leads!"

Although to be honest, they wouldn't put that stuff out there if there wasn't a ready audience for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Disgusts me just as much, if not more...

I hate to say it though, but we're all preaching to the choir here....

Start writing these pissed off letters to the companies that PAY for the shit-assed news we have to hear every damn day.  They're the ones who support the talking head assholes' stations....

Start telling them how you're not going to buy any of their products anymore, and how you'll recommend to everyone else you know, not to buy as well, because of the crap on the news that THEY are supporting...

Hitting them in the pocket is the only thing really that gets attention, short of more crap like the Rather incident.....  

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough garbage like that being heard about, so the sheeple are silent with ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sick as hell of the Lacy Petterson story myself. It comes on I turn the TV off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Im tired of hearing about it, while they ignore other murders some ther probaly could use some attention.

Does this seem somewhat like what would be on one of those 1 hours TV shows.  I think that becuase it has an apperance like something people see on shows they follow it, while a random murder that doesnt have all kinds "background" rather true of not doesnt grab peoples interest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
He did it. He's going to walk. Later he will hook up with OJ and look for the real killers. In a related story, Kobe and Greg Haidl dig up and sodomize Lacies corpse.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#16]
With Fox being my primary TV news source, and their hourly reporting on the fucking case, I rarely watch news at all now.  It absolutely annoys the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep.  There are thousands of murders annually.  Why the prolonged national coverage of this one?

I think they may not be able to let go of it.  They've all been covering it for so long that they've transformed many of their viewers into voyeurs who have been convinced that this is something significant.  Well, it is significant to a small circle, the family, but national coverage?  The networks are probably afraid they'll lose viewers to rivals if they drop the story.  They are stuck in a tar baby that they created.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top