Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 7:51:30 AM EDT
I want to get a .17 HMR rifle.   I want it to shoot at least 1 inch groups at 50 yards.  I want to put a nice variable power scope (probably a 3 x 9 leupold) on it.   I want to be able to hunt with it , ( which means no Semi-autos in PA han
What do you guys think I should get?  

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Any of them will shoot a 2 MOA group from what I have heard.  Take your pick.

You can't hunt varmints with a semi-auto in PA!?  This isn't a centerfire rifle we are talking about here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Any of the common bolt action .22 mag rifles should be available in .17hmr.  

I have a CZ452 and while I'm very happy with the rifle itself and the groupings the finish on it is horrible and very prone to rust.  I have to keep it in a silicone impregnated wool sock to keep it from rusting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a Marlin for about $250 or less with bull barrel, blued. That's the one that I've got and I love it. I put a 2.5x32 scope on it for squirrel  hunting, didn't need all that power. But there are some scopes being made with a BDC for the .17HMR.  I'd stick with something on the order of a 2-7x32 or so, or if you want a powerful scope then go with a 4-12x50, something on that order. I can't stand 3-9x's, I'd rather go bigger or smaller rather then use a 3-9x. Can't really say why I don't like them, I just don't .  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Walmart sells the Marlin 17 blued with heavy barrel for $186
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I gots a Savage .17 HMR wiff a bull barrel. I likes it jus fine. It's stainles so it don't stain. It got's a plastic stock so's I don't gots ta worry bout scratci'n it up hunt'n. It shoots real tight groups too.

I likes it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Straight from PA Game Commission

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.-- Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(3) Reserved.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.

(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

No semiautos.  If you CCW with a 1911 and carry it with you hunting, you can be in big trouble.  Hunting in PA = bolt/lever/pump type rifle and revolver.  Shotguns as stated above can be semi auto  as long as they are plugged.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]

(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

Wouldn't any rifle be in this catagory?  I am just glad I live in Nebraska where they are a lot less stringent about what you use to hunt with. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#8]
All you want to know about .17 HMR's can be found here.

Rimfire Central
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
CZ all the way.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wouldn't any rifle be in this catagory?  I am just glad I live in Nebraska where they are a lot less stringent about what you use to hunt with. Thanks Arvin

They're going after BB and pellet guns with that line.  PA has pretty relaxed gun laws compared to our neighbors (WV and OH aside).  Hunting isn't just a sport or hobby in this state, its a way of life.  Because of this the PA Game Commission can do pretty much whatever it wants because it knows that next year there will be 2 or 3 million more people coming back to hunt in our woods.  

This is also why the bolt gun crowd in PA is so loud; you can't use a bullet hose to hunt anything so why have it?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I look forward to putting a .17 MachII barrel on my 25 year old 10/22.  I'll use the opportunity to refurb the old girl and give her a new career.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top