Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:11:46 PM EDT
There are reports of hundreds of small earthquakes just today on the mountain and they have issued a warning that the mountain is showing signs that it could blow up soon

BTW, this is the most activity since '86

Whats your prediction?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope it doesnt blow up...that would cause all kinds of problems, and with all of the hurricanes america doesnt need any more natural disasters.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think so. There was another eruption quietly predicted in 2000 or so that didn't pan out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched the first one.  

I've climbed (hiked) up it a few times, and each time the dome in the crater seemed bigger.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Over a year, but it'll blow eventually

Probably not in my lifetime though, and I'm a youngun compared to some of ya'll
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i remember when i was 3 and my yard was covered in about 1/2 inch of ash last time it blew.  one of my first memories.  btw  i lived in montana then too.

mt st. helens doesn't worry me too much, it's the weird activity in yellowstone that i'm watching.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i remember when i was 3 and my yard was covered in about 1/2 inch of ash last time it blew.  one of my first memories.  btw  i lived in montana then too.

mt st. helens doesn't worry me too much, it's the weird activity in yellowstone that i'm watching.

Yellowstone blows every 500k or so, and takes most of the west coast with it. Its the worst.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man, I went through that crap the last time

I was 16 and working at the Burgerville on Market ST in Salem back when she blew her top.  We'd all been waiting for weeks for the "big one" to hit and about half-way through my shift someone came in and said "Hey, check out what's happening outside!"

We closed the restaurant and the entire crew climbed up the ventilation ladder and onto the roof to kick back and watch ST Helens blow her brains out.

At 16 it was kinda "Cool" and "Fun" because the shitbox I was drivin' looked BETTER with all that ash on it  NOW?.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yellowstone blows every 500k or so, and takes most of the west coast with it. Its the worst.

Yup.  And it's been what - 600,000 years since it last blew?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I ought to post a pic of my view of Rainier. A realtor told me our house has the best view of any property in the county. We're on high ground though, but the lahars would pass inside of a mile from my house.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Real problem would be if Ranier went. What a goat fuck that would be. I climbed St Helens Right before I moved away from Vancouver WA back in 2002. Pretty area. Not a whole lot left of the mountain to blow. If anything, that lava dome will probably just break and leak into the crater.

Aviator

How about all the subdivisions built in the Lahar (mud/debris) flow areas all around that mountain.  If it goes in grand style, the death toll will be thru the roof.  Nothing like a wall of mud and debris 50 feet high moving at highway speeds.

Mt. Hood in Oregon is another sleeping tinderbox that could blow, I know on side of the mountain is slowly starting to bulge.  Portland isn't too far away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm taking wagers that it'll never blow.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Any of you local guys remember Harry Truman?

What a Hard-Case THAT old guy was!  80 somethin' years old and wouldn't leave his cabin for sh*t with the volcano giving ALL sorts of signs she was gonna blow.  The last interview I saw with him he said that he had "....enough Bourbon to see me through anything" lol

He's still there somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  And it's been what - 600,000 years since it last blew?  

Yeah, I understand the lake near that underground bomb is shifting due to pressure & underground magma build-up causing th ground to rise up. It's the end of the world (in our corner) as we know it...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no idea if it's going to go or not, but every relative in the family is calling to find out what my plan is when it does.

I live in Saint Helens; A small town in Oregon about 50 miles from the mountain.

Hope I have the day off if it does though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations to the 3 people who voted that it was gonna blow in a week! You predicted it!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top