Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:32 AM EDT
I am going to give away an old computer of mine that I have been using for work and personal stuff but want to make sure that nothing is left on  harddrive.  I have read a post here about  this topic before but cannot find it using searrch.   any help would be appreciated.  thanks s-maxx
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Norton's Utilities has a wiping function in their defrag program.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
PGP has a utility to write over the empty ares with random bits
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
the drive manufacturer should have a free download to low-level format the drive... select write 1s to fill the drive, without actually using some forensic tools, the data is gone. You can get "hashing" programs that will overwrite the drive several times to make sure it is gone for good.

I wonder if a driver full of 1s weighs more that a drive full of 0s?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to erase all traces of old data then look for utils that also erase "slack space" in disk clusters. Here is one program that does it: Clean Disk
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the drive manufacturer should have a free download to low-level format the drive... select write 1s to fill the drive, without actually using some forensic tools, the data is gone. You can get "hashing" programs that will overwrite the drive several times to make sure it is gone for good.

why would it weigh different? the particles are the same, just arranged differently.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why would it weigh different? the particles are the same, just arranged differently.

Well... it was just a joke, but if you want to discuss it literally, I suppose that one could argue from a relativistic point, using the concept of Brownian motion, that the arrangement of "particles" could in fact have an effect of the measured weight of an object? Granted, at such a small level that it would not stand reason, but still an interesting argument.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the freeware I am thinking of is "wipedisk" which you download and it makes itself a bootable floppy.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Is BCWipe any good?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#11]
FDISK... delete the boot sector and reformat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Try DBAN, it rocks.  

You boot with the cd and walk away, it does the rest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#13]
By USAF  "Intructions" (Regs - another McPeak legacy), we have to use a program that wipe the hard drive and it must at least use a minimum of 3 passes.  My Command uses Wipedrive and it works nicely.

All harddrives are wiped but if it was classified drive it will involve one more step.  We pummel them with one of these, a 8 lb Sledgehammer.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top