Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 4:45:59 AM EDT
Hi guys.  I been thingking heavily about moving out to Colorado for a while now.  As usual family holds me back most of the times I think about.  I was born on Long Island and lived there till 95'.  Moved to Florida untll 2000 when I moved back to Long Island.  In June I moved back down to Florida, but this place is soooooo over crowded and changing os much everyday that I'm having my second thoughts again.  I have a time share in Winter Park, Colo.  I usually go there 2 weeks a year to ski, and absolutly love the outdoors.  Where would you reccomend living.  I'm looking to set up a motorcycle business, so my residence would likely have to be near a populated area?

John
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Its expensive but from the sounds of your vacation agendas, you can afford it.

Colorado is a beautiful place and a fun state to live in.  There are many things to do there and it is geographically convenient if you want to travel to even nicer places.

The firearms laws won't be as lenient as Fla, but the scenery is awesome.

If their politics and prices were more lax, I'd be living there as we speak.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Colorado, but it is expensive to live here. If your thinking about a bike shop I would look at the north end of town, there's alot of growth going on up past Interstate 36. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like Colorado, but it is expensive to live here. If your thinking about a bike shop I would look at the north end of town, there's alot of growth going on up past Interstate 36. Good luck!

Living in NY and FL, this seems to be the trend just about anywhere you live.  I'm pretty much sensitized to it.  I just love the mountains, skiing, riding, geography.  I'll be looking around when I go out in November.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
slightly more expensive to live there than some midwest town, but youre paying for the scenery...

arizona was the same way...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
What firearms laws are you referring to?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm goping to be out there in November.  I'll have about a week to drive around and look at some towns/cities.  What would be the most important cities to look at while I'm there?  THanks for the info.

John
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Colorado is wonderful, but getting crowded. Only tell your conservative friends to move here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
One critical item to look into in any area of interest is WATER.  There are some problems in many areas of CO, ranging from the division of water rights to the treatment.  There are sundivisions/developments/communities which have their own treatment plants which are not functioning properly and risk being shut down.  This is not only critical to your use, but can affect value, as well.  If your water stops, who would buy in your potential area?  Therefore, the value can be minimized.

I don't want to make a big scare item about it or go overboard, but do your homework.  ASk the questions and, if you get serious, get the answers in writing.  In an area with which you are not familiar get a lawyer when you start to do something.  One specializing in real estate and familiar with the particular community involved.  The initial consultation probably will be $250. - $300.  It will be the cheapest and most effective mon ey you'll spend.

Colorado is beautiful and if I didn't want to avoid the cold I'd be searching there myself.  ANywhere from the Durango area to some areas around Ft. Collins.  I would try to avoid the very large cities, as anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
West?! Colorado is West?! Most of it is on the other side of the continental divide! We call it the middle east. Almost west. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, Colorado be back east...!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm goping to be out there in November.  I'll have about a week to drive around and look at some towns/cities.  What would be the most important cities to look at while I'm there?  THanks for the info.

John

Well a lot of the growth I speak of is around Broomfield, Westminster, Northglenn. The northern burbs are booming with housing and industrial park areas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Born in GA, raised in GA, live in GA now. However, somewhere in the middle there I managed to get 3 years in CO and have been dreaming and scheming about getting back. Most beautiful place I have ever seen. I loved it and want to go back. I would shovel snow from a junk yard if it meant getting back. Little left wing, but I would work on that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
West?! Colorado is West?! Most of it is on the other side of the continental divide! We call it the middle east. Almost west. Planerench out.

Hey, easy there.  Growing up in NY and living in Florida, Coloroado is damn hear on the other side of the planet.  It almost seems like in my case, when you can't see the ocean anymore, your out west
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Go have a look at the Ridgeway region; the river valley west, along H. 82 is spectacular.  Montrose is close enough if you want to live in a more populated town.   Lots of motorcycle activity in this region - touring bikes and off road bikes are common.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go have a look at the Ridgeway region; the river valley west, along H. 82 is spectacular.  Montrose is close enough if you want to live in a more populated town.   Lots of motorcycle activity in this region - touring bikes and off road bikes are common.

Are you familiar with Durango?  Seems like a larger city, that is stil close to Cortez.  I'm looking into a small business down there.  Thanks

John
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've only passed through Durango and looked around the downtown area a little.  Durango appears to be booming, at least during the tourist season; there a good variety of businesses clustered in the downtown area.  I think the key to making a living in Colorado is surviving the winter months if you are dependent on the tourist trade, or setting up a business that services everyone, including the locals.  There is a huge sin tax on property and businesses in Colorado; i.e., you pay a premium for the privelege of living there, the prices of marginal businesses is high.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I defected from the Poeple's Republik of NJ in 1994.  Did my last tour of dutyat Ft Carson.  I have a 1900 sq/f house in Colorado Springs and my g/f has a nice log home up in Florissant.  I spend most of my time up here.  We got bear. deer, elk and no gang-bangers....lol  It takes me about 50 minutes to get home.  Property taxes are about half that in town, but water is a big issue up here.  The homes in g/fs subdivision mostly have domestic use only wells.  Can't even use your hose to wash your car.  Don't think the water nazis enforce it much though,  Just don't plant KY blue grass and expect to water it daily.  I'm hoping to pour a slab in the Spring to bring my milling machine up here so I can work in peace.

If you are coming through the Springs, drop me a line, I can show you around some.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I defected from the Poeple's Republik of NJ in 1994.  Did my last tour of dutyat Ft Carson.  I have a 1900 sq/f house in Colorado Springs and my g/f has a nice log home up in Florissant.  I spend most of my time up here.  We got bear. deer, elk and no gang-bangers....lol  It takes me about 50 minutes to get home.  Property taxes are about half that in town, but water is a big issue up here.  The homes in g/fs subdivision mostly have domestic use only wells.  Can't even use your hose to wash your car.  Don't think the water nazis enforce it much though,  Just don't plant KY blue grass and expect to water it daily.  I'm hoping to pour a slab in the Spring to bring my milling machine up here so I can work in peace.

If you are coming through the Springs, drop me a line, I can show you around some.

Great.  I might have to take you up on that.  I'll be there in about a month and then again in January.  What are the optionsregarding water?  Thanks

John
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Highway 82 is from Glenwood Springs to Asspain.

Highway 50 goes from Grand Junction to Montrose. Montrose south to Durango and beyond is Highway 550.

I visit the Montrose/Ridgeway/Ouray area quite a bit but spend most of my time in Ouray. I really like the Montrose area. Never been down to Durango.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top