Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 11:40:06 PM EDT
Has anyone seen this yet.

Link

Looks pretty awesome, but I'm wondering if they'll release with English dubbing on DVD. I've never watched a movie in the theaters that was completely subtitled, but I know it would piss me off because I always end up missing some great visuals because my dumb ass is such a slow reader and I concentrate so much on the subs through the whole movie it's like I'm not even watching one... it's more like reading a book.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw the previews, and it will rock.  If your itching for some gits see if you can download, rent or what ever ghost in the shell stand alone complex.  It was the series that came out a few years after the first movie.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I was never able to get into anime. I tried a few times but it just never sat with me. Ninja Scroll was ok and animamatrix was nice. but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a couple extra hours last week, and I saw it.    I saw the original when it first came out, and have nothing more than vague recollections of it at this point, but I remember liking it.    I'm not really an anime fan, but my understanding is that the attraction is that they are typically more "deep" and adult than a "normal" cartoon, and the original was "deeper" than most anime.

Well, the sequel totally went off the deep end in this regard.   Action, fun, etc. all took back seat to the philosophical sort of ideas the movie was trying to get across.   There was very little action, and I really had no idea what was going on most of the time - and no, not because of the subtitles (I can read, thanks).    A good 5% of the dialogue was probably quoting various philosophers.  

As far as the animation (I'm no connoisseur),  the characters, cars, etc. were animated on top of a rendered CG background - the difference was obvious, and just didn't look right to me.   I'd guess that anime purists would really like this either.

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually downloaded GitS: SAC a while back but never watched it through... I think the subs turned me off and i was kind of hoping when they made a US release for DVD... I don't know if they did or not. What I did watch of it seemed ok but I didn't like the blatantly noticable difference in the art/animation. Major Kusinagi (the chic from the first GitS) was drawn different.

I noticed the animation in Innocence did look like it had a lot of CGI, but it didn't look like it would be that distracting. I did, however, think it would be a lot of action. Now that I think of it, though, the first GitS had a lot of philosophical blah blah too, which seemed to drag it out a bit.

Anywho... I'll probably wait for the DVD then...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There are actually TV ads running for it here in Phoenix, so I guess we are one of the targeted markets.  But it is being released on <1000 screens nationwide.

If you find one near you go see it.  This is the film that SHOULD have one the Palm D'Ore at Cannes this year had not everyone decieded to make a political statement by sacreficing their votes on Michael Moron.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]

I think the subs turned me off and i was kind of hoping when they made a US release for DVD... I don't know if they did or not.

GitS:SAC is being released here in the USA now.  The first two discs are out so far.  They use the same voice actors for SAC as they did in the original movie.  So the Japanese language is done with the original Japanese VAs and the English is done with the same Dub VAs of the English version of the original.  It's nice that if you watch it in either language, you still hear the same voice that was in the original movie.  

I'd recommend watching SAC.  Good action, fast moving because it's stand alone episodes (hence the title), great anitmation and acting, and not too much philisophical BS.  Enough to keep it interesting and intelligent, but not too much to be boring.  It's a well balanced series that's well done.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top