Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 3:42:43 PM EDT
Got called for possible grand jury duty here in upstate NY.  Have to report on Oct 12th.  Sounds interesting and I've heard that grand jury duty can be quite interesting depending on how you approach it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Show up in an executioners mask and say you believe criminals of any type deserve harsher punishments.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
A grand jury can indict or not, as it chooses, regardless of what the prosecutor or judge tells you. The GJ is supposed to be the wisdom & conscience of the community.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Hang 'Em High!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]

I spent four months on a Grand Jury.

80-85 %  of the cases you get will be true bills, no problem.
The rest are either hoping they have a rubber stamp brain dead GJ or the Prosecutor is under pressure to do something and getting it  No-Billed will get him off of the hook.

This is the only place in the system where the*people* actually have any real power. By all means, serve.

IM me if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Really enjoyed my 6 month stint on the GJ.  Every other Friday for 6 months !    You will be presented with only the prosecutions side of the story and must decide if it's more likely or not that the person committed the crime.  If more likely, then you indict.   You can review evidence and ask questions of witnesses who appear before the GJ to give testimony.   It's great reading in the papers, months later- sometimes years, that the accused is convicted and is getting put away.   A lot of satisfaction in knowing you played a part in that.   You got to keep secret all that goes on in there.   Try to not make your GJ a "rubber stamp" for the DA.   Ask questions and make them work a little.   Only down side was seeing the criminal activities of some sick f$%k's who are living in YOUR neighborhood.   Really opens your eyes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Waldo and intruder, thanks.

I'm definately not into being a "rubber stamp" for a DA.  Sounds like this will be interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
14 years and no jury duty for me.  Let the good times roll.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Waldo and intruder, thanks.

I'm definately not into being a "rubber stamp" for a DA.  Sounds like this will be interesting.  

Here's how it goes:

The first few cases you get as a new Grand Jury will *always* be "slam dunks". He'll make sure of that so you can get your collective feet wet.
Then he will start feeding in more complex cases.  He'll probably save some real stinkers for the end. It's well scripted.

Don't get me wrong, you'll see some terrible, terrible things and true bill most of the cases. It really does suck to see what kind of shit heads live in your area.

But then again, you'll also see a few *very* lame cases.

It's a very good learning experiance and well worth your time.

Forgot to add that you don't *always* get just the Prosecutors side.

The person in question can choose to testify in front of the Grand Jury ( sometimes this can actually be helpfull)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top