Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 12:11:18 PM EDT
arowneragain's thread reminded me of a question that I have been meaning to ask.

I am planning on ordering a CMP M1, after I get my CCW next week (my hearing is Tuesday morning) and I have a couple questions for you guys that have been through the process:

1. Are the USGI or Greek service grade reliable USABLE rifles? I don't want a collector's piece, I want a gun for shootin'! I realize that these are surplus, used and beat to death rifles. I just want one that is still useful as a Homeland Security rifle.

2. Do you have to be a member of a local CMP affiliated organization, or can it be from anywhere? I can't find one locally that will just take my $25 bucks, send me a certificate and leave me alone. That is what I'm looking for. All the ones I have talked to want me to go shoot with them at a scheduled time at someplace that's too far to drive.

3. As you all know, the CMP offers both M1 Garand's and 1903 Springfield's. Can you order the arfcom way (buy both)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Join the Garand Collectors Association. They e-mail your membership to CMP, and you get a great quarterly newsletter. No pressure and the newsletter has some very useful info for shooters as well as collectors.

As for the rifles themselves, I ordered a Greek return 1954 production H%R service grade. It is not even close to "beat to death". It has some minor wear to the stock just from honest use, but the metal parts and barrel condition look almost new. Did I mintion that if I do my part, it shoots 1" groups?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they are reliable. Most common malfunctions are usually caused the clip latch spring, or the clip ejector spring. Both of which are easily replaced. Chances are favorable that what you get will be good, if not, then CMP is there to help. My '43 service grade was never issued
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Join the Garand Collectors Association. They e-mail your membership to CMP, and you get a great quarterly newsletter. No pressure and the newsletter has some very useful info for shooters as well as collectors.

How do you join?

As for the rifles themselves, I ordered a Greek return 1954 production H%R service grade. It is not even close to "beat to death". It has some minor wear to the stock just from honest use, but the metal parts and barrel condition look almost new. Did I mintion that if I do my part, it shoots 1" groups?

That's what I wanted to hear! I am actually thinking about a Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

And 'Service Grade' means just that - safe and ready for general use.

'Rack Grade' are the rifles that are shot out. Those you buy to rebarrel / rebuild in .308, or when trying to assemble a parts / manf-matching piece.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Garand Collectors Association

Edit: Guess I should have done a refresh, before posting ;)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot my 1917 Enfield in a J.C. Garand Match, and got a certificate declaring me eligible to purchase a Garand from the CMP.

Must.  Fight.  Urge.  

Have.  No.  Money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is something to get you all riled up, and encourage you to get the papers sent in...

SA Service grade M1 Garand.....

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I shot my 1917 Enfield in a J.C. Garand Match, and got a certificate declaring me eligible to purchase a Garand from the CMP.

Must.  Fight.  Urge.  

Have.  No.  Money.

Dude they're $450 for a Greek issue! You can't
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Isnt there a CMP store at Anniston? Is it open to the public like the one at Camp Perry. I dont live too awful far away and want to take a trip up there to get my next Garand.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must.  Fight.  Urge.  

Have.  No.  Money.

Dude they're $450 for a Greek issue! You can't

Or $295 for a Greek rack grade. From what I hear, the rackers are mostly fine after you clean the barrel and maybe change out the stock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
only difference between a rack and service grade is the TE and bore. Some racks look better than service. The service grade is just that, one that is up to mil-spec for issue to the service. You can't go wrong on any CMP purchase!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
arowneragain's thread reminded me of a question that I have been meaning to ask.

I am planning on ordering a CMP M1, after I get my CCW next week (my hearing is Tuesday morning) and I have a couple questions for you guys that have been through the process:

1. Are the USGI or Greek service grade reliable USABLE rifles? I don't want a collector's piece, I want a gun for shootin'! I realize that these are surplus, used and beat to death rifles. I just want one that is still useful as a Homeland Security rifle.

Yes. Rack grade means "good enough that we would issue it to a soldier if we were still issuing M1s." Service grade is one step above that.

Quoted:
2. Do you have to be a member of a local CMP affiliated organization, or can it be from anywhere? I can't find one locally that will just take my $25 bucks, send me a certificate and leave me alone. That is what I'm looking for. All the ones I have talked to want me to go shoot with them at a scheduled time at someplace that's too far to drive.

Join the Garand Collectors Association. They will send your membership information to CMP electronically as soon as your check clears; it generally takes about two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I received my CMP "SERVICE GRADE" SA yesterday. The receiver and barrel look new. I requested a high serial #  and they complied (5,899,XXX). Its a 1955 receiver and barrel. The wood is banged up a bit but I am happy.

Oh BTW, Time I sent in the APP to the time I got it was less than a week.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#16]
bump
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes you can buy both, but you have to pay the regular price!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So $450 for the Greek Garand and $400 for the 1903 Springfield, plus $41 dollars for shipping?

I'll take it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So $450 for the Greek Garand and $400 for the 1903 Springfield, plus $41 dollars for shipping?

I'll take it!

OK, so here are some pics of my CMP 1903A3......

BUT BE WARNED, THIS IS HOW THEY LOOK WHEN YOU GET THEM......

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been looking into getting an M1 for sometime now. If you join the GCA, you then qualify to purchase from the CMP? There really isn't much around my hometown area for CMP involved clubs so if I could do it this way it would be easier.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Isnt there a CMP store at Anniston? Is it open to the public like the one at Camp Perry. I dont live too awful far away and want to take a trip up there to get my next Garand.

Is Camp PErry open to public for walk in purchases?

If so, I may have to make a trip to MI come tax refund time...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take it!

fototime.com/68DC1CFD5FF28B1/standard.jpg

fototime.com/9856B66EF19E61C/standard.jpg

fototime.com/7A5616A85DE8D13/standard.jpg

fototime.com/65422D9B17E146B/standard.jpg

Damn 1shott that cleaned up nicely. I am jealous.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Steve, I am going there in a couple of weeks. I can show you firsthand on what to look for. Save the $$ and get a rack grade that gages low....believe me they are there. You are more than welcome to join me. I live in Livonia and can get there in 45-55 minutes.

I am warning you though, you will get hooked on these Garands.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No, there is not a CMP store at CMP south. you can go volunteer for the day and pick out your rifle afterwards, Thats What I did, but you do have to work all day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio, not MI and it's open to the public but if you plan to buy make sure all paperwork is done. If I remember right they are closed sunday and monday. Two of the CMP North workers are related to my wife but they will not give me "family discounts". LOL
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The DCM/CMP guns are the best gun deals in the world. Just stop by your local gunshow and check out the Garands & Carbines they're selling, probably twice the price for half the gun. Can't go wrong with any of the WWII-era guns.

Also thank the anti-gunners(Sens Chuck Shumer, Ted Kennedy) for forcing the US Army-run DCM into today's privatized-CMP. In the DCM days, it would take them 1 year to get a M1 Garand to your doorstep after your paperwork was submitted, whereas today that time is measured in weeks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take it!

fototime.com/68DC1CFD5FF28B1/standard.jpg

fototime.com/9856B66EF19E61C/standard.jpg

fototime.com/7A5616A85DE8D13/standard.jpg

fototime.com/65422D9B17E146B/standard.jpg

Damn 1shott that cleaned up nicely. I am jealous.  

Thanks, I am single, with no life, nothing else to do......
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone verify my question I posted earlier about if you join the GCA, you then can purchase from the CMP?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone verify my question I posted earlier about if you join the GCA, you then can purchase from the CMP?

YES. Joining the GCA will fullfill ONE OF THE REQUIRMENTS to order a M1 from the CMP..
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure that if you plan to go to the CMP store at Perry that you have proof of US citizenship, i.e. Birth Certificate or US Passport. No Drivers License or Voter Registration (as in years past).

I got a very nice Service Grade H&R and a Springfield in the past year. Each of them shoot great and except for some dings in the stock, each look great. Good muzzle and throat. I picked the Springfield up at Perry during the Nat'l Mathces; walked in and 20 minutes later I had a new rifle. The H&R took two weeks to deliver from Anniston.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio, not MI and it's open to the public but if you plan to buy make sure all paperwork is done. If I remember right they are closed sunday and monday. Two of the CMP North workers are related to my wife but they will not give me "family discounts". LOL

OHIO Doh.... brain fart. Thanks for the reminder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top