Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:40:25 AM EDT
hi all,

i need some help with writing some information to a sql database through a webpage.  whats the best way to do it and do you have any links on info.  the info will be basically name and email addy.

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]

If you want to do everything using open source (Free Software), I would use mysql for the database, java and jsp for the web pages and tomcat as an application server.

tomcat
mysql
java
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to use some form of application server to create a connection to the database, execute SQL or invoke some stored procedure to retrieve data from the database, accept the data back from the database into your application, and format and display the data in a page.

There are a lot of ways to do this.

What kind of database are you using and what server technology do you have (operating system, et al)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
since sql was mention and not mysql then probably asp would be one way to go.

of course a ton of relevant information was left out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Since it's something simple, PHP & MySQL is my recommendation.  I've written a couple of books on PHP and one on MySQL, and reviewed about half a dozen more on PHP or SQL for A-W, so I can help if you have a specific question.z
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Zoom, my php class is kicking my ass (just html and flash experience here). Can I IM you some ?'s the next time I get stuck? :)

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You asked for "hay" programmers which I am, and now change it to a gay topic, SQL

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Microsoft .NET. There is no other substitution.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Since it's something simple, PHP & MySQL is my recommendation.  I've written a couple of books on PHP and one on MySQL, and reviewed about half a dozen more on PHP or SQL for A-W, so I can help if you have a specific question.z

+1

I'm running a family discussion board using PHP and MySQL and I'm learning the language so I can customize the board to my own preferences. PHP seems to be pretty powerful and easy to use and, since it is strictly server-side, it is not dependent on the client having specific software (Java, ActiveX) installed on their computer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top