Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:32:15 PM EDT
SO, I decide to sell a couple of Colt rifles I have to generate some cash to make another purchase and decide to sell 2 Colt Pre Ban rifles thinking a NY resident could use a bit of help.

Well, one rifle I have has a factory letter ensuring manufacture before the ban so that's no problem.

Before I bought the second rifle I called Colt Customer Service and was ensured it was a pre ban. Even the serial number list says it's preban (MH086020 and Below)

My serial number is MH0630XX.

Today before posting it for sale I call Colt Cust Service again to see if they can give me the date it was manufactured  so I can list it in my ad I find out the rifle wasn't built until 1998???
I was told it was a grey market rifle that was built for LEO and that Colt hadn't started marking their lowers with "for LEO Only" at that time.

Does this sound right to you?

To say I'm pissed is an understatement. Even though the ban is expired and the rifle is definitely legal to own now I'm still very pissed off.

Is it worth writing the Colt Historical Society ($25) to find out the truth at this point?

What if I had sold the rifle to a NY resident with the understanding the rifle was legal for them to own and found out later it wasn't?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
For what its worth.  I had a Colt 9mm carbine, LEO only that I bought in 95 or 96 and it was not marked "LEO only". Neither were the mags I waited 4 months to get.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought by law they were supposed to be marked LEO only?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes Colt sold many non marked LEonly rifles, the serial numbers from the AR15 pre/post ban website should be accurate though

I thought of all the serial number lists the Colt numbers were most reliable.

I can't beleive Colt still hadn't started marking their lowers by 1998.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Update???  

The Restricted/LEO marking ruling didn't come into effect until 1995 so there are some unmarked LE Colts around.  I really doubt that Colt wasn't marking them for a rifle produced in 1998 though.  Are you sure she looked up the correct serial number?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
wooooooooooooo. Had me going there for a split second
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top