Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:07:32 PM EDT
Bodies of Two Border Agents Found in Texas

Associated Press

LOS INDIOS, Texas (AP) -- The bodies of two Border Patrol agents whose boat capsized in rough water in the Rio Grande were found early Tuesday, officials said.

The agents were on regular patrol near the Los Indios International Bridge when their boat overturned Sunday afternoon, assistant chief Cruz Rodriguez said.

Agents on a nearby boat heard a distress call and were able to rescue Capt. Javier Sandoval within minutes by throwing out some ropes. Sandoval was ``doing well'' at a Harlingen hospital and was expected to be released Tuesday, Rodriguez said.

The victims were identified as Senior Border Patrol Agents Travis W. Attaway, 31, and Jeremy Wilson, 29, of Ferndale, Wash.

Border Patrol agents routinely patrol the Rio Grande for illegal immigrants and drug smugglers, usually on shallow river boats like the 19-foot Predator that capsized Sunday. Rodriguez said the river was exceptionally high following several days of heavy rain.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
R.I.P.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When I saw the title thread I thought it might have been drug runners or mules bringing in illegals... part of me is glad it was an accident and not an act of violence on them.  Still tragic... prayers for their families.

Likewise.. their deaths are tragic, but better an accident than foul play.

RIP, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, those guys were younger than I am...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've worked with these guys before it was a tragedy we lost 2 excellent agents.  It is sad but they were not wearing there life preservers.

R.I.P.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top