Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:07:13 AM EDT
I read somewhere that a bayonet could not be mounted on a 16 inch carbine. Is this true and why wont it work?

Will a bayonet mount on one of the m4 uppers by bushmaster, I believe they have a 16 inch barrel also?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The bayonet mount is part of the castle that also houses the front sight. On most 16 inch barrels I've seen the castle is placed too far back for the bayonet's ring to fit around grooves in the flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess a boyonet lug is kind of a moot point then?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]

The bayonet mount is designed for either a 20" or 14.5 inch barrel. These have the same relation from front sight to flashhider. The bayo depends on the relation of two coordinates to mount properly. That is the relation of the front sight base (bayo lug) and the flash hider.

The hole in the hilt of the bayo is the same diameter as the flashhider.

Bottom line: If you put a bayo on a 16" barrel the bayo will rattle on the barrel instead of being secure on the flashhider. Plus you will look like a total dork.

-Z
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a little pricey but it works Bayonet for 16 inch Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just pull off the end of the Bayo, use an insert to obtain the correct length and use a longer bolt.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
14.5" M4 Brl with Perm Atttached Phantom gives you a legal 16" Bayonet compatable Brl.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
At one time, I bought on Ebay, a small metal device, which clamped around the barrel via two cap screws, and it had only the Bayo lug. I lined up my bayonet, and tightened the screws. It sits approximately 1 inch or so ahead of the front sight, on the barrel. Can't post pics, but these parts do exist.

Edit: I have a 16" Bushy, old post ban, and I have the old M7 bayonet. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
14.5" M4 Brl with Perm Atttached Phantom gives you a legal 16" Bayonet compatable Brl.

legal meaning no class3 required ??
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

legal meaning no class3 required ??

yes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have or get one of the ArmaLite M15 carbines or AR10 carbines with the mid-length handguards, the bayonet will work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Another way is to go with the Armalite carbine uppers. They have a midlength gas system that was introduced to increase reliability. It had the added bonus of making the distance between the end of the barrel and the front sight assembly the same as on the 20".

ETA: Damn, you beat me by a couple minutes
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
At one time, I bought on Ebay, a small metal device, which clamped around the barrel via two cap screws, and it had only the Bayo lug. I lined up my bayonet, and tightened the screws. It sits approximately 1 inch or so ahead of the front sight, on the barrel. Can't post pics, but these parts do exist.

Edit: I have a 16" Bushy, old post ban, and I have the old M7 bayonet. Works just fine.

You mean like the second item on this page
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top