Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/20/2004 11:05:06 AM EDT
So today, at 11:30 EST, the normal lunch conversations started at the office like every work day. The normal chuckwagon, go-out-for-lunch crew somehow or another decided that they all wanted to go and get SUSHI for lunch.

Sushi.

For lunch.

Sushi isn't a lunch. I mean... I am impartial to sushi. It's not necessarily at the TOP of my list, but I can do it every now and then.

But it's not for lunch. And, it most certainly isn't something that a bunch of self-respecting heterosexual guys decide "HEY LET'S GO GET SOME SUSHI FOR LUNCH". I can honestly say that in all of my 20 years of professional experience, I have never once thought to myself, "Hey... I gotta' go get sushi with the guys for lunch today."

Gay attorneys might go and get sushi for lunch.

Not me.

Sushi is something that a bunch of friends who have already been out drinking and partying decide to go and get for the ambience and entertainment value.

For lunch, I need something that is going to stick to my ribs.

So, I skipped the sushi. I went by myself to the chili parlor and had a couple of coney chili dogs with the rest of the manly men.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I love Sushi anytime.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet they went to look at drapes after lunch too....pussies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think some guys in my office are turning gay or something...  

I think I would change my screen name then if I were you....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It's sushi.. can you elaborate on how that is gay?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I love sushi. Anytime, anywhere. I'm not gay. Am I?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Sushi in and of itself isn't gay. Of course it isn't. And I happen to like it -- somewhat. But it's not something that I think to myself "HEY I GOTTA GO GET SUSHI FOR LUNCH TODAY."

If I WERE to ever have sushi for lunch, it would be because we decided to go to a Japanese restaurant that served it, and I happened to go ahead and have some yellowfin.

But not because we stood around in some circle jerk saying, "Yeah! Let's go for sushi!!"

That's what film students might say.

Not me.

It's the whole pretentiousness of the act of saying, "Hey, let's get sushi for lunch!!"

GAY! GAY GAY!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Sushi = Not Gay
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Now I'm hungry.

Sushi anyone?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Sushi for lunch is not gay.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Sushi is not gay.  It is one of my favorite lunch stops.  Good anytime.  Get the Unagi.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
You're missing my point.

No... sushi isn't GAY.

A bunch of guys standing around the office saying, "YEAH... LET'S GO GET SUSHI!!"

That's gay.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Now I'm hungry.

Sushi anyone?

<----ALWAYS up for sushi!

I almost always go during lunchtime, and almost always with a group of guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]
GAY  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]
You got issues.

So, if someone decided they wanted bacon, eggs and toast for dinner would you become similarly unglued?

Where, oh wise one, is it written that certain foods can only be eaten at certain times, and if those scriptures aren't adhered to it calls into question someone's sexuality?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#15]
It's just one of those things that you just 'know'. Like the right and wrong beacon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So today, at 11:30 EST, the normal lunch conversations started at the office like every work day. The normal chuckwagon, go-out-for-lunch crew somehow or another decided that they all wanted to go and get SUSHI for lunch.

Sushi.

For lunch.

Sushi isn't a lunch. I mean... I am impartial to sushi. It's not necessarily at the TOP of my list, but I can do it every now and then.

But it's not for lunch. And, it most certainly isn't something that a bunch of self-respecting heterosexual guys decide "HEY LET'S GO GET SOME SUSHI FOR LUNCH". I can honestly say that in all of my 20 years of professional experience, I have never once thought to myself, "Hey... I gotta' go get sushi with the guys for lunch today."

Gay attorneys might go and get sushi for lunch.

Not me.

Sushi is something that a bunch of friends who have already been out drinking and partying decide to go and get for the ambience and entertainment value.

For lunch, I need something that is going to stick to my ribs.

So, I skipped the sushi. I went by myself to the chili parlor and had a couple of coney chili dogs with the rest of the manly men.

Dude, get with the times  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Next you'll want me to watch Bravo network and cook up a nice plate of brie and bread crusts for my guests who visit me in my newly decorated lounge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Your grandfather probably said the same thing the first time he saw someone eating with a fork.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I like brie and bread.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#21]
This might be an issue of semanitcs.

Sushi for lunch with a bunch of guys = gay ghey?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Crap.

I like sushi.

I like brie.

I am single.

Maybe I am gay?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't eat bait
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I like brie and bread.

Me too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Several months ago as I was starting a new project at work, we had techs and engineers gathered from around the country in Atlanta. A handful of the more senior folks were going to dinner on an expense account, as the discussion started about where to eat, I said I was pretty hungry so anything would do (I had steakhouses and BBQ places in mind) and they decided to get Sushi, I decided on the spot that I was dealing with a bunch of limp wristed pansies, and there is nothing that is going to cahnge my mind. I like Sushi just fine, but it is not what I have in mind when I am with a group of men who can go any place they choose.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!

What kind of wussies not only decide, but then giggle gleefully over "GO FOR SUSHI!!!"

It even sounds gay to say in an excited tone with a bunch of guys. If there was at least ONE woman, then it might have been a little different.

No.

GAY GAY GAY
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Totally. Lightning_P38 gets it.

You're MEN.

YOU EAT SHIT LIKE WHITE CASTLE OR TEXAS ROADHOUSE.

Not some flowery looking prettiness with a bunch of fellow dickswingers ogling over the subtle nuances of the presentation....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#29]
What is it with all the "if you like or do X, you're gay" crap today?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife is hot as fuck. I am well within my weight range and physique... not obsessively so like a gay dude who wants to go get sushi with the 'boys' for lunch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I, onemangang, am guilty of being a lunch sushi lover.
Call me gay and I'll hit you over the head with a piece of eel!
I'm as country as peas and cornbread. Sushi is equal to soul food to me! I did not start eating it until about 10 years ago but I have to admit that I will eat it whenever I get half a chance.
There is a place in "Chambodia" (Atlanta folks will know where I'm talking about!) on Buford Highway called Toyotaya that has a great sushi buffet. Nothing out of the ordinary but for $7 you can fill your wagon!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am well within my weight range and physique... not obsessively so like a gay dude....

You sure seem to know a lot about gay dudes....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess some people just don't have the BALLS to stand up for their choices.

I could give a flying fuck if I'm amongst a bunch of "hardhat types" if I decided to have sushi for lunch, which BTW, I've done more times than I can count.

Same goes for my opinion of men(?) who have their ears pierced. I give my opinion (if you have pierced ears you likely won't enjoy it) even if it means I get my ass stomped. But at least I have the balls to stand up for my convictions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Bendover, you're pretty good at this whole devil's advocate thing.......

next you'll be starting a threead on why kerry is a good choice for POTUS......
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Okay... EATING SUSHI IS NOT IN AND OF ITSELF GAY.

I LIKE SUSHI.

Middle aged men bouncing around the office like a bunch of giggly school girls saying, "Let's go for sushi!!' "YEAH!!!"  "OH YES, WE MUST... LET'S!!"

That is whey ghey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]
sushi (noun)
su*shi
sustenance for yuppie pussies trying to be "in vogue"

see also: closet case, pillow biter, metrosexual
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You're MEN.

Not some flowery looking prettiness with a bunch of fellow dickswingers ogling over the subtle nuances of the presentation....

Acceptable worktime lunches:

Anything with meat in it that does not cost more than $2.  This includes almost any fast food out there (exceptions listed below). Almost nothing out there costs more than $2 in time and materials to make.
Peanut butter & jelly.
Cheesecake.

Some unacceptable worktime lunches:

Any "salad" that is not at least %90 meat of some kind. Tuna salad is acceptable. A chicken chef's salad is not.
Sushi, if you suggest it. (Others suggesting it is quasi-ok. It sets off the gaydar, but it doesn't scream BATTLESHIP AHEAD.)
Same applies to Thai, Mongolian, or any other "exotic" type of food (unless it's served in a fast-food buffet setting. Buffet mall Chinese food = good. Botique "Braised Rare Panda Penis" Chinese resturants = gay for lunch.)
Ordering Chicken Cordon Bleu when you could have a Liverwurst sub, IMO, is gay.  Ordering a french pansy food when you could have a manly wurst just screams out "I tried out for a position on Queer Eye".

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#38]
ummmm....er....  me and a guy I worked with used to go eat the hell out of sushi for lunch.  He's a retired Army infantry LtCol and just fathered a baby at the age of 52.  

Ya might want to recalibrate your gaydar, 'cuz if I set it off something is definitely wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My wife is hot as fuck. I am well within my weight range and physique... not obsessively so like a gay dude who wants to go get sushi with the 'boys' for lunch.

With that screen name and that avatar, you expect us to believe that?

Reminds me of when I was stationed in Yokohama, once a week we'ld go out to one of the local sushi  bars.  The gauge of being a "real man" was how far along the  Chief of Staff's  Swim, Slither, Squirm and Slime scale you got.  Although in his case the "Spring Water" (Ice cold saki on a hot humid day) helped move him quickly along the scale.  I stay pretty much up in the Swim and  Slither categories thank you.

You do realize that Ernest Hemingway (the real man's real man) in his key West days was quite an afficianado of sushi? called it by another name though when they took it when they were fishing.
Yeah they called it "chum"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#41]
No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cylone ranger Everyone
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're MEN.

Acceptable worktime lunches:

Anything with meat in it that does not cost more than $2.  This includes almost any fast food out there (exceptions listed below). Almost nothing out there costs more than $2 in time and materials to make.
Peanut butter & jelly.
Cheesecake.

Some unacceptable worktime lunches:

Any "salad" that is not at least %90 meat of some kind. Tuna salad is acceptable. A chicken chef's salad is not.
Sushi, if you suggest it. (Others suggesting it is quasi-ok. It sets off the gaydar, but it doesn't scream BATTLESHIP AHEAD.)
Same applies to Thai, Mongolian, or any other "exotic" type of food (unless it's served in a fast-food buffet setting. Buffet mall Chinese food = good. Botique "Braised Rare Panda Penis" Chinese resturants = gay for lunch.)
Ordering Chicken Cordon Bleu when you could have a Liverwurst sub, IMO, is gay.  Ordering a french pansy food when you could have a manly wurst just screams out "I tried out for a position on Queer Eye".

Just my opinion.

Dude... you can tag along on my chuck wagon for lunch anytime.

Definately NOT gay.

(and one funny mutha...)

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GAY  

Lissen pal, after we have sushi for lunch we  stop off at the Roach Coach for a quick cup of coffee (black, no sugar) The we might stop at the van of the guy selling work gloves, then it's pick up the hard hats and back up on the high iron. Wanna arm wrestle?....

One might say that ANYONE that works in an "office" where such swishy, breathless types flourish is NEARLY gay...

Oh you have to show me how you sewed those window treatments.... tho thooper!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
There is a place in "Chambodia" (Atlanta folks will know where I'm talking about!) on Buford Highway called Toyotaya that has a great sushi buffet. Nothing out of the ordinary but for $7 you can fill your wagon!

$7 for all-you-can-eat sushi?!  I can eat $50 worth easily.  Do they have that on the weekends too?  I'd make an excuse to drive up there on a Saturday.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't south of Atlanta.  Most of the good stuff is on the north side.  But at least it's not one big traffic jam here.  Good with the bad, I guess.  I need to find a good sushi buffet on the south side!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#45]
where is that richard simmons pic.....

I'm with BenTheSushiPhobe on this one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#47]
I under stand what your trying to say.  Sushis kinda like mikes hard lemonade, sure it kinda tastes good and I'll drink it from time to time, but if I'm chilling with a bunch of guys I won't drink it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Ordering a french pansy food when you could have a manly wurst just screams out "I tried out for a position on Queer Eye".

Just my opinion.

Dude... you can tag along on my chuck wagon for lunch anytime.

Definately NOT gay.

(and one funny mutha...)

Okay, so the guy gobbling <ahem> "manly wurst" isn't  a latent?

Please tell me you iron workers don't bring California rolls to work in those hard, clamshell, black lunchboxes.

Please tell me you aren't swinging your legs back in forth in glee while sitting on an I-beam, 15 stories up, chewing away on some squid with chopsticks out of those kick-ass manly construction worker lunch boxes.

You're ruining my day.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Okay, so the guy gobbling <ahem> "manly wurst" isn't  a latent?

It was more of a "why would you eat this fucked up horrible smelly dish when you could have liverwurst? Or bratwurst? Or weiswurst?"

Then again I guess I have a different concept of horrible smelly dishes
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I under stand what your trying to say.  Sushis kinda like mikes hard lemonade, sure it kinda tastes good and I'll drink it from time to time, but if I'm chilling with a bunch of guys I won't drink it.

BINGO!!

When was the last time you went to a sports bar with a bunch of dudes and ordered an amaretto sour?

ETA: With a nicely sliced orange rose with an umbrella for a garnish???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top