User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 5:42:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
So it is going to be broadcast oin the 12th as was stated in the other thread?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the post.
That people can laugh at the idea that there are "good people" and "bad people" in the world is frightening.  But this does give a crystal clear insight into the mindset of the liberal.
These debates are a way for the NRA to discuss specifics about the positions of political candidates without running afoul of campaign finance reform laws.  As I understand it, there are a series of these debates to be held, some in this country as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So there aren't any really dangerous people in the world unless they have easy access to guns. Damn, do I FEEL stuuupid for not knowing this "fact"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
All that hype and it's already a done deal!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The anti-gunners are clueless...unfortunately, many of the sheeple are, too...we need to keep educating them, one at a time...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Some people are pretty much clueless of what actually goes on in the real world. Wayne really put this gal in her place.

I doubt that I need to outline Mr La Pierre's arguments here as most Freepers will be familiar with the NRA's position, but Ms Peters was unable adequately to answer a couple of questions put to her:

Mr La Pierre asked her who would protect an unarmed individual from an attacker if they aren't allowed to defend themselves with a gun ('Will you do it, Ms Peters? Are you trained in the martial arts?'). Ms Peters indicated that she didn't believe that people were being attacked in their homes or on the streets in any great numbers in civilised countries. She quoted statistics to show that only in countries where guns are easily obtainable is there a serious problem of crime and violence. This was countered by Mr La Pierre's statistics which proved the opposite...

The audience had an equal mix of supporters for both sides of the debate. Many of the British pro-gun audience members were sport shooters. One of them told her that he had a great deal of firearms experience, and no criminal record. He wanted to know why she was trying to take his gun and ruin his sport. Ms Peters was very arrogant and patronising at this point, and told him that there were plenty of other sports to choose from!

Mr La Pierre spoke eloquently about freedom, about the lessons of history, the rights of the individual and the supremacy of the US Constitution. He reminded us that the NRA donated guns to the British people during the 2nd World War, and that guns aren't evil tools, but necessary ones in a dangerous world. It was fascinating to see some of the students in the audience giggling uncontrollably at his American ideas, especially the idea that America was a haven of freedom, which they clearly disputed. They especially found ludicrous his idea that 'good people' and 'bad people' existed in the world. Ms Peters, an Australian, told him that good and bad people only exist in the movies and suggested that he had been watching too many of them! She commended him on his bravery at coming to such a dangerous country as the UK!

My thanks go out to Mr La Pierre for a fascinating evening. A British company was doing the filming, but I expect it will end up on US TV.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
"Mr La Pierre spoke eloquently... "

He musta done some practicing .

I generally worry about his debating skills.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Mr La Pierre spoke eloquently about freedom, about the lessons of history, the rights of the individual and the supremacy of the US Constitution. He reminded us that the NRA donated guns to the British people during the 2nd World War, and that guns aren't evil tools, but necessary ones in a dangerous world. It was fascinating to see some of the students in the audience giggling uncontrollably at his American ideas, especially the idea that America was a haven of freedom, which they clearly disputed. They especially found ludicrous his idea that 'good people' and 'bad people' existed in the world. Ms Peters, an Australian, told him that good and bad people only exist in the movies and suggested that he had been watching too many of them! She commended him on his bravery at coming to such a dangerous country as the UK!

God, I fear for future generations if this PC shit continues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top