Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:14:16 AM EDT
I was just curious.  I have been trying to get my wife to learn the basics about safe gun handling for a long time just in case of a home invasion (while I'm not home).  No luck.  Poll on the way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Only one of my wives/girlfriends carry.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been trying the same with no luck. I know that if she isnt dedicated to the idea, a weapon in her hand is more of a danger to her than not. She is one of those non-confrontational people that doesnt do well with conflict. I cant imagine she would be able to kill another person...and until a day comes when she can handle that, she is probably better off unarmed.

I think a lot of guys get their wives a handgun thinking they are helping them...but in order for that to be the case, the wife needs to be willing to use it. Putting a gun in someones hands that will simpy panic is a liability. I have taken her shooting, and she enjoyed it....but the range is a lot different than deploying a weapon in a tactical situation. I am planning to take another class in CQB / defensive techniques with a CCW...I may drag her along to expose her to the theory...hopefully that will provide a springboard.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife sounds a lot like macro's.  I usually try to get her to go to the range after something shows up on the news that scares her.  I've come close to getting her out there a couple of times.  I basically just tell her to give the key to my cabinet to my 13 year old (who is well versed in all the weapons in the house).  I have a 5 year old so the guns have to stay locked up.  I would feel a lot better if I thought she could at least use on of my shotguns.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife won't let my girlfriend carry...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My girlfriend is afraid of commitment when it comes to carrying.  She switches between her 32, 9mm, and 357 without so much as a thought to where she's going or what she's wearing.  Now she has a 40 that she might add into that mix.  The 40 is a Sig that she had to have because the slide was a metallic purple that matched her Kershaw knife.

The other day I told her I needed a blued Encore frame because I have a blued barrel on my stainless frame.  She actually agreed that it made perfect sense that I needed the frame because they didn't match.  That's when I realized that she had a problem.  She doesn't just share my interest.  Her interest has a life of its own, but not a checkbook of its own.

She doesn't even like AR's.  I show her how easy they are to change configurations, how accurate and controllable they are, but she just says "yeah, whatever, where's the FAL?"  I let her use my FAL as much as she wants, but she still complains that it's not HERS.  It can never be hers, so she needs to get a nice $1k FAL.

You guys who want to get their girlfriends and wives involved, turn back before it's too late.  You've seen how women spend on stuff they don't need.  You know how expensive guns are.  It's too late for me, but save yourselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
my wifes girlfriend carries
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad things only happen to other people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, my wife's got a better carry piece than I do!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
mine carries a colt .380 mustang.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
about 150 lb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
She can't carry at work, because she teaches......

Good thing too.....she would probably kill at least one kid a day.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife carries a G-26 24/7, in a Coronado Leather custom CCW purse. She had never fired a weapon til she met me...her ex hubby was an anti. She loves it now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for qwijimbo--I met my wife when she was managing a gun shop.  Yes, she carries.  Yes, she is ALWAYS armed.  Yes, it is expensive to share this hobby, especially now that she is a stay at home mom!

I just found out I have another 'problem'.  My 5 y/o daughter wants her own rifle...with flowers on it.  She was helping me clean up brass from the back porch an hour ago and said my wife's AR would be prettier if it was pink and with flowers.  Do you think she'd notice if it was a .22 Cricket painted pink?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't vote because there wasn't a choise for us who don't have a wife/girlfriend.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Only one of my wives/girlfriends carry.  

What are you Mormon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#17]
 I can't get my wife to really carry. She keeps a Smith model 60 locked in a lock box in her vehicle. It is in a carry pouch type holster. She can get it out if she has car trouble and put it on until help comes and the kids can't get it the rest of the time. She will carry that gun in her purse if she has to go somewhere marginal at night like a bank machine or carry it in the pouch when ever she feels like she is going somewhere with a threat level. She has her own 18" barreled Remington 870 20 gauge at home.
 For what it's worth, I have never had a GF or even known more than about 3 girls period who would really wear a gun in a holster with a reload and demonstrated healthy disregard for the lives of aggressors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Long story as to why, but yes my wife does carry, usually her Kimber Ultra CDP sts, 24/7.  

When we goto the range, (at least once a week), It's funny to watch other's reactions when they can't hit the target with thier 9mm hi-point, and this woman, 4'10" and all of 110 pounds (after three kids), makes one ragged hole with eight rounds.

Redbaron  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife carries a sig 239 .40 in winter. A colt Gvmnt. 380 in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Only thing my wife is carrying is about 60 extra pounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife does carry, got her CCW about a year ago, then picked a .40 Kahr.
Her favorite is here in AZ, if you use your CCW permit to buy a weapon, there is no background check.
CASH AND CARRY BAYBEEEE!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
My cousin used to be an anti.I gave her husband a pistol safety course so he could get his permit.She didn't even want guns in the house."He can keep them locked in the garage or basement,I don't want to touch them or see them."After a year or so he somehow talked her into going to the range and she would shoot a .22 now and then and hang out with us while we shot . What really turned her around was when we got her involved with plate shoots.At first she just liked the chalange of the competition but as soon as she became
comfortable with the gun handleing and saftey issues became second nature I was giving her the course for her permit. She shoots a snub revolver well and also really likes the mid and full size Glocks in 9mm.She has some health issues which effect her hand strength and finds the glock about the best for her to cock but
more times than not will carry the k frame S&W snuby.
     Both my cousin and I work for the same small co with about 7 employes and two owners/partners.She is the Office manager and the only female.Last year one partner was caught stealing and booted out.Not long after the SHTF one of the guys wondered out loud if "FRANK"(the crook)would do anything or freak out on us.(serious charges pending and mucho trouble with IRS and State tax guys)Someone else said"some of you guys with guns should think of bringing them to work in case something happens"All of us present  (5 including my cousin)pulled up shirts and such and showed our stuff!!!! Guy about shit himself.We joke that we have a firearms policy at our workplace-Show and tell is required!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I about to buy my girlfriend a Glock 23 for carry. She wants a Kimber, "But not until we're married," she says.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I have converted the wife about 75 percent.  She can't be bothered carrying yet, but she could and would kill any intruder to protect our kids.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
my wife has her on G26......

I work nights and she had to clear the house the other night when she got out of the shower....

..when she called to tell me about it I said...

"Having a gun is comfortable right"

and after a long pause she said

".....................VERY!!!!.........."

she'll be getting her license soon after she gets some classes in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#26]

How many of your wives/girlfriends carry?

All of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife carries Sig P230, SW3913, or 5906 depending on dress, duties, threat assesment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife got her permit but since she can't carry at work and I always am she hasn't carried so far.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife carries a .38 Airweight.  

I would also recommend you send her to a professionally given gun handling course.  Best way to go.  (BTW, I was very impressed with her targets).  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Guess I'll have to give it another go.  She's not an anti or anything.  She is simply scared of what a gun can do.  She has no problem with me having them or teaching my sons how to use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top