Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 3:12:54 PM EDT
..If I were ever to be killed by one. We had this interesting discussion about how you see alot of these family members who get a pole up thier ass after a family member is killed by a gun and then they spend the rest of their natural lives protesting guns. You see this bullshit all the time. I made it very clear to my wife if this were ever to happen to me, I would hope she were better than them and wouldn't do that.  

I would also consider this my dying wish, my last opportunity from beyond the grave if you will. Has anyone else had this kind of conversation before? Or thought about it? She doesn't think that way, but sometimes you never know what a loss could do to a person after something like that, and I figure if I make it clear now just like anyone who makes a will or declaration, she would respect my wishes regardless of what she may feel later. Just some food for thought. Whether Im "here" or "there", Im going to do whatever I can to help the rest of us out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never considered it in the context of protesting guns, but I've always thought if I had ever been killed in combat, I would want my immediate family to consider it my dying wish that they wouldn't ever publicly criticize or second-guess the war I was fighting in. I shudder to think how many servicemen gave their ultimate, only to have their wives or other relatives trivialize their sacrifice by becoming unwitting propaganda tools for causes that run counter to their own beliefs. After all, let's face it: When I die, it's not about you or your needs – It's about me.

Getting back on topic, I'd want my family to feel the same way about me being killed by a gun – Basically, it all boils down to showing some respect for the way I lived my life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
the owner of another message board I frequent is very antigun because a friend or family member was shot
technically you can't even link to a store that sells ammo, but that rule isn't enforced all that much
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
there are always to reacrions to that type of situation.

1. everyone protests guns and demands that noone has any ever

2. they suddenly understand the need to be armed as well as the criminal or better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The biggest problem is when their loved one takes their own life with a gun. It adds ammunition to the lie about, "...a gun in the home is more likely to be used against you."  It is hard to argue with parents about guns when their child has just committed suicide.  I can't even begin to figure out how to approach that one, and it has happened too often to too many folks to let them all go anti.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I will put a line in my will saying if anyone goes anti gun they are cut out of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the owner of another message board I frequent is very antigun because a friend or family member was shot
technically you can't even link to a store that sells ammo, but that rule isn't enforced all that much

Firemission?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The biggest problem is when their loved one takes their own life with a gun. It adds ammunition to the lie about, "...a gun in the home is more likely to be used against you."  It is hard to argue with parents about guns when their child has just committed suicide.  I can't even begin to figure out how to approach that one, and it has happened too often to too many folks to let them all go anti.

Good point. I dont know what to say about suicide except that if anyone wants to kill themselves, they will use anything. I also pointed out to my wife if I were ever stupid enough to somehow shoot myself through negligence that would also be a signal to promote firearm safety education and not blame the gun for killing me. Im not going to die and become fodder for the other side. Not on my terms.

Skibane- Actually The point of the discussion originated from the incident today with the lady harassing the First Lady during her speech. What little I had skimmed from news was that her son was killed in Iraq and she was taking it out on the First Lady??? Yeah, that pissed me off and made me think about my dying wish if I had gone to war. Then of course it spilled over into gun related deaths and those who lash out against them afterwards. So your situation is equally relevant IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I expect my family to hunt down and execute with extreme prejudice my murderer, just as I would do for them. No quarter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The victims of violence involving guns are usually totally irrational, and usually throw the blame from the person to the weapon. Rather then push for the shitbag that hurt/killed their family member to get a heavier sentance, they go after the gun as if there isn't any good reason to have one. This is where it gets interesting though, they take a look at me. I'm pretty normal, and try to get them to see that guns are useful for protecting themselves. Somehow it seems like they hop into the car of reason for a millisecond, just before slamming head on into the emotion truck carrying a full load of nonsence (yes that phrase was stolen) and decide I'm paranoid or a murderer waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
there's a decent number of gunowners over there in its version of general discussion and we post as much gun stuff as we can.
firemission would probably just make things worse as they'd really start enforcing the antigun rules

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firemission?

Top Top