Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:56:06 PM EDT
When shooting my Ruger 10/22T and KMK10 with Bull barrel I notice that the mkII has stovepipe jams when using CCI green tag ammo and only green tag. It never does this in my 10/22. If I use any other ammo it rarely jams, even with Remington subsonics. Any ideas? Only because I get real good accuracy with the green tags.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the face of the chamber of the mkII for a ping mark in the 12 o clock position (where firing pin hits). If there is it will slow down the extraction of the rounds. It can be fixed with whats called a chamber iron. If you need I can get you a link to one from brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8869
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless I was competing or hunting, I couldn't fathom paying CCI prices for .22 ammo.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]

This isn't an "Ammo problem", this is a "ruger makes crapy cheap jammomatic guns problem".

Ruger has always made cheap junk. And still do.

Sell that crap and buy some weapons which function properly.  You'll be much happier for it.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This isn't an "Ammo problem", this is a "ruger makes crapy cheap jammomatic guns problem".

Sell that crap and buy some weapons which function properly.  You'll be much happier for it.

Zen

While ruger makes some things I don't care for, including their entire bolt-rifle line and their entire centerfire semiauto line, I'll have to step in and say that the 10/22, MKII .22, and their single-action revolvers are hands-down the best values in their class, bar none.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
my 10/22T was a stovepiping machine. so i sold it and built my own 10/22. go to rimfirecentral.com the answers to all things 10/22 lies there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Sell that crap and buy some weapons which function properly. You'll be much happier for it.

Zen

You know not of what you speak.
At least when comes to 10/22 & Mk IIs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
deleted dupe
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Which .22 rifle that accepts high capacity mags do you recomend?
Which .22 semi-automatic pistol do you recomend?

Quoted:
Zen

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a MkII that regularly fails to extract with all brands of ammo. I was think about sending it back to Ruger for repair......
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a MkII that regularly fails to extract with all brands of ammo. I was think about sending it back to Ruger for repair......

Is that something ou actually have to think about?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
They are Rugers. Get used to it.

The only Ruger I have that is any good is a 30 year old 77R MkI in 270 Win. That gun is a great shooter. Wonder how it left the factory like that?

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My three 10/22's, MKI and MKII all digest just about any ammo on the market.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My Ruger 10/22s and 22/45 were made very reliable using Volquartsen Exact Edge extractors and Winchester Dyna-Point ammo (copper coated)  NEVER had a jam after changing to this extractor and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I had the same problem with mine.

What I found:

1. Use a Bore Snake every 100 or so rounds to keep the gritty substances found in cheaper .22 ammo from gumming up the chamber.

2. Keep bolt, recoil spring and guide rod lubrication to an absolute minimum.  It appears that any excess oil in that area will mix with the aforementioned grit and form a slurry of grit and gunk.  This stuff then collects in the chamber and on the bolt face/extractor hook and causes malfunctions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure if the terminology is right but I went shooting again today and put about 500 rounds thru the mkII and 10/22 and noticed the jams on the mkII seemed to be related to build up of lead and wax? on the face of the barrel in the chamber from the Green Tags. I noticed that when after firing 30 rounds I went in with a scraper and removed some wax and lead buildup the jams stopped. Time to find another ammo or clean every 30 rounds. I was getting some serious grouping at 75 yards with both guns today though.
The owner of the range was pretty impressed. I didn't even notice that he was about 25 feet behind me with a spotting scope watching me shoot. He shot it and loves the gun.
Only mods are Volquartsen XV2500 stock and exact edge extractor.
Ruger spiral forged Target Bull Barrel and 10/22T action.
Also put 300 rounds through the Bushy today, man that barrel gets hot with the Hogue tube on it
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top