Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:19:45 PM EDT
Here is a recent article from the Quad City Times:

www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1035169&l=1&t=Iowa+%2F+Illinois&c=24,1035169

Iowa won’t ban assault weapons
By Charlotte Eby

DES MOINES — Assault weapons became legal this week in Iowa and other states after a 10-year federal ban on the weapons expired, but Iowa’s legislative leaders say they have no intention of enacting a state ban.
While a few states currently outlaw semiautomatic weapons, House Speaker Christopher Rants, R-Sioux City, believes Iowa’s current gun laws are sufficient.
“I don’t think you will see this issue being debated in the Legislature,” Rants said. “Nobody has demonstrated that we have a problem here in Iowa.”
Senate Majority Leader Stewart Iverson, R-Dows, agrees a ban isn’t needed and thinks it’s a constitutional issue of allowing citizens to bear arms.
But backers of a state ban argue that restrictions on assault weapons are supported by many members of the law-enforcement community and the public.
Leah Woodward of Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence said most Iowans as well as most Americans are in favor of a ban on assault weapons.
She said one in five police officers killed in the line of duty are killed by one of these weapons, even though they make up just 1 to 2 percent of the firearms in circulation in this country.
“That shows that these guns are being used disproportionately in crimes,” Woodward said.
The group is still hoping Congress will decide this year to renew the federal ban enacted in 1994, but Woodward said federal lawmakers have been “gutless” in standing up to the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby.
“Although numerous polls have shown the vast majority of Americans support this ban and want it extended, they just haven’t reacted to that,” said Woodward, who believes any action at the federal level is unlikely until after the Nov. 2 election.
If Congress doesn’t take action to renew the ban, lawmakers in Iowa should put a state ban in place, she said.
Despite general support in the law enforcement community for restrictions on assault weapons, not all feel the effort is effective.
Retired Davenport police officer and Rep. Jim Van Fossen, R-Davenport, is opposed to banning assault weapons and believes criminals will find a way to get the weapons even if they are outlawed.
He said more officers are killed with handguns or during scuffles over their own service guns than by assault weapons. He said even when the ban was in place, people were still able to legally buy similar weapons.
“They’re still just as deadly,” Van Fossen said.
Van Fossen, a National Rifle Association member, said he wants to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners who want to use these types of guns for recreation and target practice.          
But Rep. Deborah Berry, D-Waterloo, said she’s concerned now that the federal ban is no longer in place and would support outlawing those firearms at the state level.
She’s not convinced a problem with assault weapons exists in Iowa, but believes it’s wrong to lift the ban at a time when the country is trying to combat terrorism.
“I think in a time of war, it’s better to be safe,” Berry said.
Charlotte Eby can be contacted at
(515) 243-0138 or [email protected].

I have already emailed the Iowans for Prevention of Gun Violence to find out their source for:
"She said one in five police officers killed in the line of duty are killed by one of these weapons, even though they make up just 1 to 2 percent of the firearms in circulation in this country."

I hope all the othe Iowa residents on the board do the same!!

FLSTC
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Done.

However, I need to leave this state. I'd like to get into NFA and it cannot happen here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I use my AK47/AR15 semi-atuomatic assault weapons to KILL TERRORISTS!

Somebody needs to get the gun lobby to argue this point home, that these TOOLS are needed more BECAUSE of the war on terrorism!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
wow, something intelligent coming from the Iowa legislature.  Fucking amazing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for freedom
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Somebody needs to get the gun lobby to argue this point home, that these TOOLS are needed more BECAUSE of the war on terrorism!

Works for you and me but the sheep won't buy it.  They've been told for YEARS that the only way they can be "safe" is if gooberment does it for you, that taking any action themselves is "bad" and you must trust someone in "Authority".

Do otherwise makes you just as bad as the Terrorists.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here is a recent article from the Quad City Times:

www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1035169&l=1&t=Iowa+%2F+Illinois&c=24,1035169

Iowa won’t ban assault weapons
By Charlotte Eby

DES MOINES — Assault weapons became legal this week in Iowa and other states after a 10-year federal ban on the weapons expired, but Iowa’s legislative leaders say they have no intention of enacting a state ban.
While a few states currently outlaw semiautomatic weapons, House Speaker Christopher Rants, R-Sioux City, believes Iowa’s current gun laws are sufficient.
“I don’t think you will see this issue being debated in the Legislature,” Rants said. “Nobody has demonstrated that we have a problem here in Iowa.”
Senate Majority Leader Stewart Iverson, R-Dows, agrees a ban isn’t needed and thinks it’s a constitutional issue of allowing citizens to bear arms.
But backers of a state ban argue that restrictions on assault weapons are supported by many members of the law-enforcement community and the public.
Leah Woodward of Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence said most Iowans as well as most Americans are in favor of a ban on assault weapons.
She said one in five police officers killed in the line of duty are killed by one of these weapons, even though they make up just 1 to 2 percent of the firearms in circulation in this country.
“That shows that these guns are being used disproportionately in crimes,” Woodward said.
The group is still hoping Congress will decide this year to renew the federal ban enacted in 1994, but Woodward said federal lawmakers have been “gutless” in standing up to the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby.
“Although numerous polls have shown the vast majority of Americans support this ban and want it extended, they just haven’t reacted to that,” said Woodward, who believes any action at the federal level is unlikely until after the Nov. 2 election.
If Congress doesn’t take action to renew the ban, lawmakers in Iowa should put a state ban in place, she said.
Despite general support in the law enforcement community for restrictions on assault weapons, not all feel the effort is effective.
Retired Davenport police officer and Rep. Jim Van Fossen, R-Davenport, is opposed to banning assault weapons and believes criminals will find a way to get the weapons even if they are outlawed.
He said more officers are killed with handguns or during scuffles over their own service guns than by assault weapons. He said even when the ban was in place, people were still able to legally buy similar weapons.
“They’re still just as deadly,” Van Fossen said.
Van Fossen, a National Rifle Association member, said he wants to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners who want to use these types of guns for recreation and target practice.          
But Rep. Deborah Berry, D-Waterloo, said she’s concerned now that the federal ban is no longer in place and would support outlawing those firearms at the state level.
She’s not convinced a problem with assault weapons exists in Iowa, but believes it’s wrong to lift the ban at a time when the country is trying to combat terrorism.
“I think in a time of war, it’s better to be safe,” Berry said.
Charlotte Eby can be contacted at
(515) 243-0138 or [email protected].

I have already emailed the Iowans for Prevention of Gun Violence to find out their source for:
"She said one in five police officers killed in the line of duty are killed by one of these weapons, even though they make up just 1 to 2 percent of the firearms in circulation in this country."

I hope all the othe Iowa residents on the board do the same!!

FLSTC

Bullshit
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
What a dumbass bitch! In a time of war you don't disarm your people, you arm them! You didn't hear such a foolish argument during WWII did you? In fact, one of the major reasons the Japanese didn't attempt to invade the US was the fact they knew so many Americans were armed. The democrats who argue we need tougher gun laws because of international terrorists are so stupid and full of shit. The notion terrorists could somehow benefit from our freedom to own guns doesn't make any sense. In fact, the more guns we own the LESS the threat to us is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I was have trouble using the quote feature I was trying to say the 1 in 5 LEs being killed by AWs sounds like BS
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What a dumbass bitch! In a time of war you don't disarm your people, you arm them!  

HAHA, thats just silly.  Because if you give people guns it will make them criminals.. and they will do bad things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Done.

However, I need to leave this state. I'd like to get into NFA and it cannot happen here.

Sure it can,  Break out the paper and pen.   Right now we need to decide what our next state level battle should be.

Shall issue CCW or NFA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Senator Iverson has done a very good job of protecting the rights and looking after the interests of his constituants. Except for the pinkos.

He sort of ignores them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It's nice to see a thread with Iowa not being anti-gun...actually it's nice to see us not being anti-"anything"!  MadProfessor if you're going to stay in this state and want NFA toys you need to check out the Class 3 FFL/SOT route with a Corporation.  Go to the M-16/Full Auto forum and do a search on Corporations.  It is truly the only way to go in this state and I wished I would've got into it back in 1999 when I first got out of the Air Force...before I sold my NFA to move back here not knowing about Corporations or dual-state residency to a "free state".
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Shall Issue would be the smaller bite, but it would still be quite a battle. It would require more Republican seats, I think.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Exactly...remember, folks, it's not an "assault weapon"...it's a HOMELAND DEFENSE RIFLE!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The typical thinking in the Des Moines area is, "why do you need those things anyway?"

They are to interested in getting to the nearest Starbucks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wow, something intelligent coming from the Iowa legislature.  Fucking amazing.

Have to agree on that one!!!

One good thing about Iowa Republicans; they love their guns.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to agree, the Republicans do love their guns. But if it did make to the gov's desk, Vilsack-o-shit would vote for it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
But if it did make to the gov's desk, Vilsack-o-shit would vote for it in a heartbeat.

I love that name
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Me too

I hate that left wing turd!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top