Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 1:18:40 PM EDT
Maine: AWB Debate Tonight (09/15/04) on Ch. 6
Uncle Jaque

President of ME Gun Owners Assoc. Jeff WEINSTEIN will be discussing the "Assault Weapon Ban" with Portland Police Chief "mike" CHITWOOD tonight on Ch. 6 "207" Show at 1900 hrs. tonight.

Portland Democrat Ethan STRIMLING is promising to introduce a bill to ban "Assault Weapons" in ME as California has done some time ago. Unlike the Federal AWB, these State bans never "sunset".

In an earlier interview, STRIMLING could not tell the difference between an AR-15 and an M-16; but facts have never stopped liberals from banning what they don't like before, so we don't expect any ignorance-based inhibitions on the lpart of our liberal legislators this time either.

Chief CHITWOOD is a notorious anti-2nd Ammendment activist, and an outspoken ally of the "Million Moms" and other victim-disarmament groups.

Jeff W. is host of a popular Saturday Morning Talk show in the Portland area.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
man those guns, gentlemen.  Don't get lazy now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
So far the scorecard on this bullshit is:

MI
OR
and now ME.

Oh, and there's a group in AZ that's trying to get the Legislature to enact one.

Don't forget that Califorina banned .50BMG's the day the "AWB" expired.

Anyone that is complacent on this needs to have their head examined.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that ME already had an AW ban?? along with NY, NJ, CT, MA, HI, and CA. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So far the scorecard on this bullshit is:

MI
OR
and now ME.

Oh, and there's a group in AZ that's trying to get the Legislature to enact one.

Don't forget that Califorina banned .50BMG's the day the "AWB" expired.

Anyone that is complacent on this needs to have their head examined.

PA, also.

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/summaries/reader/0,2061,574624,00.html

" Pa. Legislature Considers Tougher Assault Weapons Ban
9/15/2004

With the non-renewal of the federal assault weapons ban, the Pennsylvania legislature is considering a bill that would ban semiautomatic rifles and pistols based on physical characteristics, the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal reported Sept. 14.

The Assault Weapons Ban bill, introduced by Rep. Dan Frankel (D-Pittsburgh), is stricter than the federal ban because the weapons would be banned based on physical characteristics instead of their names.

"My bill creates a generic definition of what an assault weapon is," said Frankel. "When the federal ban was passed, manufacturers just created a whole new family, or series, of guns that weren't named in the legislation."

Frankel and supporters of the measure acknowledge that it would be difficult to get the bill passed. "I am not naive; the gun lobby is very strong in Pennsylvania and has infiltrated both parties pretty well," Frankel said. "But I do think voters should know where their legislators stand on this issue."

Critics contend that the only way to ban military-style guns is to ban all semiautomatics, which includes many common hunting guns.

Frankel plans to attach the measure to any bill that involves judiciary and law-enforcement issues. The state legislature reconvenes in October."

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought that ME already had an AW ban?? along with NY, NJ, CT, MA, HI, and CA. Am I wrong?

Yep (you're wrong).

Both US Senators (both Republicans: Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe), voted yes for the AWB amendment  (but bothe voted against the "gun show loophole" amendment).

Maine is a strong pro-hunting state. My guess is that there's the "what'cha need one of them (AW's) fer"? "Ain't no good fer hunting" attitude among the gun folks up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top