Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 3:46:49 PM EDT
A day? 3 days? Week?
What do you consider a "long time" to ban an 8 year old.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
till he's 18
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A day? 3 days? Week?
What do you consider a "long time" to ban an 8 year old.

Depends entirely on the magnitude of the offense.

Details, please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
till he's 18

HAHA! That thought has crossed my mind alot...
And she technically. She's fucking hell on wheels man.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what he did. I remember being 6 and being grounded for a week (real long) When I was 8 I think 2 weeks was the longest I was grounded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
2 weeks max. Would have to be pretty bad. Of course it depends on the restriction you are imposing.

The punishment should fit the crime. I used to ask my kids what they thought was a fitting punishment. Got interesting answers sometimes!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Grounded? GROUNDED? Hell I never got GROUNDED. My ol'man beat my ass. But seriously it depends on the offense. A week of no playstation or TV is tuff for someone who is 8.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends. If she tried to stab someone the penalty would be a bit more severe than if she said Poo Poo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Most offenses one weekend is enough. Life is short.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I told her to stay home. She got on her bike and rode off with her friends. 15 minutes later when I went to look for her shes nowhere around. Ground till Friday.

Now it gets better. I was downstairs and here them giggling and farting around. Peak upstairs, she throwing food at my son. Extended till Monday.

The joys of parenthood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Grounded? GROUNDED? Hell I never got GROUNDED. My ol'man beat my ass. But seriously it depends on the offense. A week of no playstation or TV is tuff for someone who is 8.

same here...

I remember the first time I got spanked. I was 6.  Basically it was because I raised holy HELL in a grocery store being a total self-centered brat.

I cannot remember a single time in my life that my parents ever grounded me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I told her to stay home. She got on her bike and rode off with her friends. 15 minutes later when I went to look for her shes nowhere around. Ground till Friday.

Now it gets better. I was downstairs and here them giggling and farting around. Peak upstairs, she throwing food at my son. Extended till Monday.

The joys of parenthood.

Just think of all the fun you'll have when she turns 13-14...!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
till he's 18

Damn...beat me to it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
What type of grounding? Like, must stay at home (I don't think an 8 year old is leaving home much)? Must stay in room? No TV?

I like to take privelages away.  That is extremely effective on that age.

A week seems excessive depending on how severe the offense was. I would vote for 3 days. That's like 3 years in kid days...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh wait, that was your post She took off on her bike and you couldn't find her? An 8 year old?

I'm in trouble next year
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Two months, no fun at all.

Come home from school, go directly to room.  Leave room only for bathroom or food.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The joys of parenthood.

No bike for 2 weeks.
No priveleges thru weekend.

Clean the kitchen and do the dishes. Heheh.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd lean towards something serious, no TV for a week.  Wandering off by herself is bad news at that age.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't ground, spank.  Give em the 15 minute talk beforehand so they can dread it and to let them know exactly what they did.  My daughter is 14 and I used to end up spanking her about once a year.  It seems it took her that long to forget.  She respects my authority now and I haven't had to spank her in about 4 years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Spank him or he'll be a horror in a few years.  Wisdom seems to say spank them until they're old enough that they aren't scared of that, then ground after that (i.e. take away the things they like).
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#21]
It wasnt a wander off really. She always goes to the end of the block. Theres a cul de sac there and I think probably 7 kids that live there so they play out front. We're across the street and then 2 houses down so its pretty easy to check up on her. The point is after I explicitly told her to stay home its almost time to eat she hops on her bike and goes to play.

Thanks for tyhe dishes idea, I had forgotten that!! Yes, grounded till Monday. Enjoy your room kiddo, you'll be there a while.

I didnt get grounded except maybe once or twice. But my dad was a real quiet reserved type. When he raised his voice you KNEW it was ass chewing time and by God you got it. And he was of the opinion "Spare the rod....."..... I aint spoiled, I'll tell ya that!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't ground, spank.  Give em the 15 minute talk beforehand so they can dread it and to let them know exactly what they did.  My daughter is 14 and I used to end up spanking her about once a year.  It seems it took her that long to forget.  She respects my authority now and I haven't had to spank her in about 4 years.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#23]
maybe a weekend. that being said, i advocate whooping kid's asses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like to me her whole world needs to come crashing down on her.

Remove anything and everything she loves/enjoys until at least next Tuesday.

Then she how she behaves.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted: And he was of the opinion "Spare the rod....."..... I aint spoiled, I'll tell ya that!!

Ditto....I had to go out in the field/woods and find the twitch he would use
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
here's my idea:

remove the power cords from all electronic devices in her room and from any gaming console in the house, and hold them for however long is necessary.  works for some of my co workers
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom did not beat my butt enough, grounding was gravy and did nothing for me. You have to find out what the kid responds to. Then enforce the rules with consistency.

I would have turned out a better man if my dad was not permanently absent in my life from my birth to present and had shown a little concern for my upbringing.

My mom just did not have the heart or the energy to beat me butt as much as I required it.

Glad you're present in your daughters life!

Carry on, just mumbling outloud.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Spanking is rarely necessary. I try to encourage creative parenting, it is more effective. There are ways to get your point across very effectively without spanking and I used it as a last resort for defiant behavior or dangerous behavior.  A swat should be a last resort but for the other to work they have to understand that is what is at the end of line if they keep up their behavior. An eight year old is sure old enough to understand about consequences and I didn't ever find that my kids needed corporal punishment at that point. Guess we did our job from the start.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was 15 or 16, I don't remember, I got grounded for a year.  And yea, my parent stuck with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top