Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 12:11:28 PM EDT
I don't know if this bill realistically has a chance of passing or not, but it has me worried. Then again, I do not have a Republican or conservative elected offical other than President Bush!

I have been writing and calling and getting other people to write. I even wrote the GOA and asked them to help fight this bill. Am I over reacting here? Is anyone else as worried about this bill as I am?

For those of you from outside Michigan who are not familar with SB1381:

- Most restrictive definition of an assault weapon ever.
- No grandfather clause for existing assault weapons
- Require immedate registration of all privately owned assault weapons
- State police would develop storage requirements, and would be allowed to inspect your home for storage compliance.
- Annual renewal of assault weapon registrations
- Violation of AWB would be a felony punishable by 4 years in prison and or a fine of $2,100
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I am as well.

Edit... I'm trying to avoid writing anything here that will get the thread locked. "Civil disobedience" is the most PC way I can think of to put it.

Edit 2... "Civil disobedience" defined as: Whoops, I dropped them into Lake St. Clair! How very clumsy of me!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got this from the Senate Majority Leader.

Dear Eric:

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts about Senator Gilda
Jacobs' proposal to implement a state "Assault Weapons Ban."  

Because of the recent expiration of the federal "Assault Weapons
Ban," Senator Jacobs has introduced Senate Bill 1381.  The intent of
this bill is to ban all assault weapons in the state of Michigan, which
the bill defines as any semi-automatic pistol or rifle that is able to
accept a magazine with more than 10 rounds and has certain cosmetic
appearances, such as a pistol grip or shoulder stock.  

Senate Bill 1381 was recently referred to the Senate Judiciary
Committee, of which Senator Alan Cropsey is chairman.  In response to
your letter, I have spoken with Senator Cropsey.  Although he has
informed me that it is unlikely the committee will be reviewing this
bill, please know that if I do have the opportunity to vote on the
proposal, I am not inclined to support it.  

Again, thank you for writing.  If I can be of further assistance in
this or any other matter, please contact my office at any time.

Respectfully yours,

Ken Sikkema
Senate Majority Leader
www.sikkema.org

ejd
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
For you folks in the states where AWB bills have been introduced, get together and join the NRA, and the your local 2nd Amend orgs. Politicos are not afraid of a few letter writers, but they are afraid of organized opposition. You folks need to start now because organizing this stuff, is going to be tough because of complacency. I wish you folks well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I must say that upon reading echap's letter as well as recalling such items as CCW and the dove bill (that didn't pass in the 80s or 90s, but somehow passed recently, even with our idiot gov'ner) make me feel a bit better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm also very concerned about this POS... I've been writing our overlords here in Michigan and hope we can get some momentum on our side in both the legislature and with the flannel shirt crowd... That could well be the key to stopping this proposed AWB, the average flannel shirt in this state could care less as long as they've got their deer and duck season... We need to get them involved, but with half of them voting Kerry I wonder if it's possible...

I moved back to Michigan 3 years ago from Florida and I have absolutely no problem moving again... My black rifles are mine, end of discussion!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not living in MI right now, but I will be back for a while within the year.  Yes, this bill has me worried because if it passes I will have to deal with it, and I am not a MI voter yet.  (yes I know MI blow with regards to the liberals, but it is better than MA, for now.  It is also my only choice.)

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not worried.

If it hits our governor's desk it will probably be signed in.  I will be surprised if it gets out of comittee, and I will be extra surprised if it gets through congress.

Nevertheless I will be sending snail mail letters tomorrow.

I was explaining the proposed law to my wife with the intent to introduce the idea of moving if it passes.  When I got to the yearly inspection part, she interrupted me and said if it passes we are moving.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know if this bill realistically has a chance of passing or not, but it has me worried.

+1
I have the "not if but when" feeling about an AWB in MI.
Gore won here in 2000.......kinda shows how messed up this state really is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty worried about it myself. It looks to be a pretty bad one. I would hate to have another ban come along after we just came out of the last one. I have been writing reps quite a bit lately though, and I hope they see the light.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's see, we have our right to bear arms violated, which all by itself is unacceptable, but folded up in that we also forfetit our right against unwanted search.  F--- that.  I'll be writing and emailing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
could well be the key to stopping this proposed AWB, the average flannel shirt in this state could care less as long as they've got their deer and duck season... We need to get them involved, but with half of them voting Kerry I wonder if it's possible...

That is the absolute truth, and that is why I am so worried! I spoke with someone from Senator Olshove's office, who indicated that Olshove was waiting to see if this bill makes it out of commitee, and what the language of the final bill is before taking a position on this bill. He was very careful to tell me that "Senator Olshove realizes that this bill has some very negative implications for hunters."

Super! The Olshove could obviously give 2 rips about the Second Amendment or the Michigan Constitution, he's just afraid to cross the hunters.

I moved back to Michigan 3 years ago from Florida and I have absolutely no problem moving again... My black rifles are mine, end of discussion!

I moved back about 4 years ago, and I would flee in a heartbeat if they pass this into law! And I guarantee you our Canuc governor is foaming at the mouth to slap her signature on this atrocity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top