Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:00:51 PM EDT
I have applied for a position as a rifle team coach for a local high school's shooting team. I say applied but really the position is mine, I just have to go through the "hiring" process even though I have been told I already have the job. Anyways one of the steps I need to accomplish is an emailed letter of inquiry. here is my question: WTF is a letter of inquiry? they already know I want the job. they have basically given me the job already....soi what the fuck is there to inquire about?

Do I just shoot the guy an email saying: I am inquiring about the rifle team coaching position.

I have to type up a resume also, but I can throw one of those together in 20 minutes.

UPDATE Thanks for the help/replies. I was formally offered the position this morning. I am now Coach Kooter
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the formally advertised the position? 'Letter of Inquiry' can / should mean from you to them, about the position. I'd ask for a clarification of what exactly they are looking for.
And don't be casual about it. Someone else has a cousin that wants the job, any corners you cut could cost you the job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have the formally advertised the position? 'Letter of Inquiry' can / should mean from you to them, about the position. I'd ask for a clarification of what exactly they are looking for.
And don't be casual about it. Someone else has a cousin that wants the job, any corners you cut could cost you the job.

they haven't formally advertised the position as far as I know. The old coach is moving on, and they kind of left it up to his recommendation as to who should be the next coach. He recommended me. I had never met this fellow before, but I got an email from him several weeks ago asking me if I'd be interested in the job. He had asked around, and several people recommended me to him. I have since met with him and discussed the position. The next step is to meet with the people from the High school. The guy that would be my "boss" emailed me asking for a letter of inquiry and a resume.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow....you mean there are still schools out there that have something so politically incorrect as a RIFLE TEAM?

Cool.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow....you mean there are still schools out there that have something so politically incorrect as a RIFLE TEAM?

Cool.

He`s lucky.  Our NJROTC unit is supposed to have a rifle time, but the school board won`t let us.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cool.

there are 4 I think that have smallbore rifle teams in this area. but from what i have gathered only 2 are really "active" teams. the team I will be coaching and another down the road are the active ones, while the other 2 practice sporadically, and shoot matches even less....

I am really surprised that the other local school still has a team. several years ago there was a ND. one student shot another in the ass. one of the shooters was putting his rifle into the case and he "dry fired" it to drop the firing pin. there was a round in the chamber and luckily the kid that was shot survived, his favorite saying afterwards was that he now had 2 holes in his ass Don't know how that team didn't instantly get disbanded, but somehow it survived.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
any other ideas on what this things it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Here ya go:

Dear Sirs:

I am writing to inquire about a position for [school] as [position].  My qualifications are [A,B,C,D, etc., -DON'T overblow these].  My resume is enclosed.   I am available to start [immediately, date, etc].  

Very truly yours,

etc...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You are pretending to jump through all the hoops so when bigshots nephew finds out and cries about it, they go back to the files, pull out your letter of inquiry and all the other items and say, look we did everything right-too bad, so sad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You are pretending to jump through all the hoops so when bigshots nephew finds out and cries about it, they go back to the files, pull out your letter of inquiry and all the other items and say, look we did everything right-too bad, so sad.

Yeap, that's exactly it.  Dot those Ts and cross those Is.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
A lettery of inquiry is

A TRAP!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top