Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:19 AM EDT
This might be a dupe, but whatever.

Does every Dumb Ass that knows you shoot come up and say something dumb about what the news is feeding them about the AWB?

It's frightening how many people are under the mind control of the mainstream media.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#1]
No, but then I look like a mass murderer. If anybody says anything, I'm going to use the opportunity to refine my smart ass chat skills.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Being that I'm on a college campus wearing a "Peace through superior firepower" shirt... I get a lot of questions.

I calmly outline what the AWB actually does and the general response is "What the hell does THAT do?" as I  calmly tell them "Fuck if I know... the Democrats wrote the piece of shit"

- BG

EDIT:   Yes, cursing generally helps when talking to 20 year olds...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't even entertain stupid questions anymore.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My mom asked me last night what I thought of people being able to buy machine guns again.

She's a local police clerk.

(no flames guys, she's my MOM. Just buying what the media is shoveling).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Right or Wrong, I'm using the situation to explain propaganda to my students.  I ask them if they have heard of the AWB, and then ask them what it means.  They tell me what they have heard on the news, then I use visual aids to explain the difference between an "assault weapon" and what is legal already.  I then asked them to listen to the news and find out if they are telling the truth, or propaganda.  Most students say, "That is a stupid law."  

Some have asked why it was written that way.  I show them a picture of a Ruger 10/22, Browning A5, and a Remington 11-87, and tell them that these would have been banned also if signed as originally written.  Most have something similar, or their parents do.  Then they understand.

I know everyone hates teachers, flame away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So, you gonna get an Oly now?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My mom asked me last night what I thought of people being able to buy machine guns again]/quote]

I had a cocktail waitress at work ask me the same thing, she is married to a leo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
oops....doubled up

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By :JCKnife
My mom asked me last night what I thought of people being able to buy machine guns again

I had a cocktail waitress at work ask me the same thing, she is married to a leo.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You should.  This is your chance to evangelize.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, but my co-worker was quite educated and is heading to the fun store today to put a new bushmaster on lay away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gotten a few uninformed people recently.
I guess I can thank the media for peeking their interest at least.
Girl I work with had asked me if I was going to go buy a machine gun now.
I told her I wouldn't have to. Feinstein said they'd be "flooding" the streets this moring anyway.
I just needed to pick a couple up on the way home and hope the ice cream man comes through the neighborhood so I can stock up on Hi-cap mags and ammo.
She laughed.

Then I started explaining things to her and she said the same thing as everyone else who knows the law. "That's a stupid law. What did it fix?"

She's not the only one. I've educated a few other media sheep along the way as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, let's use this to our advantage.  If everybody believes machine guns are legal again, lets just slip a bill through to get rid of that '86 ban.  I mean machine guns are legal now anyway right?

It'd be easy to explain to the antis using their flawed knowledge...

"You know that AW ban that your complaining about expiring.  The one that allows everyone to buy machine guns again.  Well, did you know that until 1986 all machine guns were registered, but there was a law passed in 1986 that made it illegal to register new machine guns.  So just think about all of those new unregistered machine guns that are going to be out there.  Lets work together to repeal that 1986 law, so new machine guns can be registered again."

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes.

I'll never again let my co-workers know that I'm into shooting.

People are fucking idiots.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I explained it to an LEO that I know yesterday. He bought the media BS and thought he would be able to buy a full-auto for personal use!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Right or Wrong, I'm using the situation to explain propaganda to my students.  I ask them if they have heard of the AWB, and then ask them what it means.  They tell me what they have heard on the news, then I use visual aids to explain the difference between an "assault weapon" and what is legal already.  I then asked them to listen to the news and find out if they are telling the truth, or propaganda.  Most students say, "That is a stupid law."  

Some have asked why it was written that way.  I show them a picture of a Ruger 10/22, Browning A5, and a Remington 11-87, and tell them that these would have been banned also if signed as originally written.  Most have something similar, or their parents do.  Then they understand.

I know everyone hates teachers, flame away.

Personally, I think you rule if you're a teacher and do that.  I'm a private school teacher myself, I just teach my own kids.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#18]

The key is to keep EDUCATING the uninformed, and don't forget to tell them they should be wary of the media for distoring the truth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to bite my tongue in class. I have had to explain things over and over and still get the deer in the headlights look.

How can you counter sheeple who think you can buy machine guns at wal mart? sheeple who think the streets will overflow with blood and osama buys his ak's at gun shows?

You can only do so much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To put this into Lumpy196 terms:

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes.

I'll never again let my co-workers know that I'm into shooting.

i get a call from the receptionist.  she asks if i can come to the front so i walk up their.
she asks if i can pick the lock on her desk.  i ask "why would you think i could do that"?
she says "your in a millita right?".  i say Hell no.  she says well... you'r into guns so  just shoot the lock off.  she was dead serious.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#22]

I called the Brady Center on Friday several times.

I asked them so what does this awb mean? They said i could buy full auto machine guns at dealers. So i said "so i can go to walmart and buy an AK47 or an UZI?" she said "yes you can!"

amazing.

202-898-0792 Call them yourselves, and call them out on their lies.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Call your local newsrag and tv station with this challenge... (but tell them you will help them with a news story, as if you are on their side)

Tell them to pick one or two local gun stores, and you will pick out a couple, and together you will go down with them, camera in hand, and tell them you will ask to buy a new machine gun.  Tell them the cost of any machine gun you buy is on you.

And let them see what happens...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top