Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:03:46 PM EDT
We are going to be driving from NC out to Yellowstone for our family vacation soon.  With one week to go before departure we're getting really psyched.  The visit may lead to a future relocation so we're planning to tour around the state a little too.  The plan is to pass by Mt. Rushmore on the way in, then Devils Tower, Bighorn Mtns, Buffalo, Thermopolis, Cody, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole etc.  We'll be doing some tent camping but would also like to rent a log cabin.
As someone living there or from there, what do you recommend we see while visiting?  Where are the jobs?  Tell me about your state!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful state that is great for people that like the outdoors.  The "problem" with Wyoming is the very thing that allows it to remain so special... lack of good jobs (which prevents everyone from California & Colorado from moving there).  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a few members from Wyoming around here.

Sounds like you've got a nice trip planned out. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been to most of those places, as I am po'.

Thermopolis has good hot-springs, and Jackson Hole is expensive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Check this out. My daughter and I enjoyed it immensely

Wagons West
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
S/E Wyoming here. Been to all the above places a few times before moving to Wy, now we can't afford to visit there

Mt. Rushmore is way cool, so is Custer state park & the needles highway. If you only do 2 things in the area see these 2 attractions. We alsays camped in Custer, nice little town on the south of the blackhills.

Devils tower, drive by it, not worth stopping. Jim Gatchell (sp??) museum in Buffalo is excellent, well worth the stop. Nice KOA there also we camped at (all our camping was in a tent)

We always stayed at the KOA in Cody, lots to see & do there, it's a 3 or 4 day stay ifin you ask me. The Irma has a excellent prime rib buffet & lots of history. I assume you will be going to the museum in Cody, it's a 2 day visit.

Thermopolis has a really cool dionsaur museum & some wicked hot springs & pools. It's a overnight stay at least.

Jackson hole is yuppies paradise & extremly expensive but beautifull & worth the trip. We had aprox 1/4 inch of ice on the tent when tent camping in the KOA there in Aug, expect cold temps and be prepared for snow.

This is the best time to visit Yellowstone, it's shutting down from the summer & ramping up for the winter. The lodge right next to old faithfull is a must visit. You can spend a week in the park easy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in Wyoming. Moved to AZ in 1984. The city I lived in while in Wyoming (Casper) had a population of around 40k at the time we moved away. The entire state of Wyoming has around 500k people now, which is less than just the city (Tucson) that I live in now.

It's a great place, with some of the most beautiful country, but there just aren't many good jobs available unless you are mining, ranching, or drilling.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to live in Riverton. We liked the mountains and wide open spaces a lot. Did'nt like the -50 below zero winters though. Pretty cold to say the least. Like it was posted earlier , very few good jobs($$) . I would live there if I could afford it. A lot of interesting history there. The only state(in the lower48) I know of that has a grizzly refuge. In the Absoroka Mtns. to be exact. One of the few states you can really get away from people. You can go places there where you won't have to see people for weeks if you don't want to. TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES! Post same please?! Once you live there though , it will always stay with you. Have fun. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
S/E Wyoming here. Been to all the above places a few times before moving to Wy, now we can't afford to visit there

Mt. Rushmore is way cool, so is Custer state park & the needles highway. If you only do 2 things in the area see these 2 attractions. We alsays camped in Custer, nice little town on the south of the blackhills.

Devils tower, drive by it, not worth stopping. Jim Gatchell (sp??) museum in Buffalo is excellent, well worth the stop. Nice KOA there also we camped at (all our camping was in a tent)

We always stayed at the KOA in Cody, lots to see & do there, it's a 3 or 4 day stay ifin you ask me. The Irma has a excellent prime rib buffet & lots of history. I assume you will be going to the museum in Cody, it's a 2 day visit.

Thermopolis has a really cool dionsaur museum & some wicked hot springs & pools. It's a overnight stay at least.

Jackson hole is yuppies paradise & extremly expensive but beautifull & worth the trip. We had aprox 1/4 inch of ice on the tent when tent camping in the KOA there in Aug, expect cold temps and be prepared for snow.

This is the best time to visit Yellowstone, it's shutting down from the summer & ramping up for the winter. The lodge right next to old faithfull is a must visit. You can spend a week in the park easy.

Thanks for the good info and taking the time to give it up.  A friend that goes to Sturgis also recommended Custer State Park highly.
Hot springs go really well with camping don't they?  Ouray Colorado has them and they always felt perfect after camping in the mountains for a few days.

Thanks everyone for the info and I will post some pics when we get back.  We'll be going to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot on the return trip so that's always a big photo op too.  Since taking pictures will be about all we can afford to do, we'll have plenty!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top