Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:36:14 AM EDT
"Here’s an interesting fact, the Republican Convention boosted the New York economy $255 million. But the Democratic Convention in Boston only netted it $14.8 million. People wonder why it was so much less? Sure, Democrats don’t like spending their own money."

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I heard it too. Straight to the point. Classic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
joke?  it's true though, right?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it’s apples and oranges.  I believe the Boston figure refers only to money realized by the City of Boston (i.e., the Boston City Treasury).  The NYC figure is some statistical extrapolation of dubious accuracy and “creative accounting.”

NYC is also more expensive than Boston.  The figure for NYC needs to be put in “Boston adjusted dollars,” or some such.  (In Boston, this means “It’s mine unless I let you keep it.”)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It's funny because its true.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it’s apples and oranges.  I believe the Boston figure refers only to money realized by the City of Boston (i.e., the Boston City Treasury).  The NYC figure is some statistical extrapolation of dubious accuracy and “creative accounting.”

NYC is also more expensive than Boston.  The figure for NYC needs to be put in “Boston adjusted dollars,” or some such.  (In Boston, this means “It’s mine unless I let you keep it.”)

You must be fun at parties.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You honestly think the difference between 255 million and 15 million is "New York dollars versus Boston dollars"? Must be that New Math
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think it?s apples and oranges.  I believe the Boston figure refers only to money realized by the City of Boston (i.e., the Boston City Treasury).  The NYC figure is some statistical extrapolation of dubious accuracy and ?creative accounting.?

NYC is also more expensive than Boston.  The figure for NYC needs to be put in ?Boston adjusted dollars,? or some such.  (In Boston, this means ?It?s mine unless I let you keep it.?)

Word for word, that's exactly what I thought when I read that!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comments:  No, I suck at parties.  I'm a lawyer, whadya want?

Also, I should have made it clearer in paragraph 1 that (apparently) the NYC statistic refers to all monies spent in pursuit of the convention in the NY area.  That is, it includes extra money spent for security, for direct convention expenses, for car rentals by attending delegates, and for the bagel with cream cheese purchased by the greengrocer delegate from Indiana.  The extreme difference is (apparently) due to the total addition to the NYC economy due to the convention.

The Boston statistic refers to direct and indirect taxes that made the City of Boston (alone) richer.  That is, I think that is why the difference is so large and Leno was conparing "apples and oranges."

So, I'm not perfect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think we found Kerry's new campaign manager.  You sir have a talent for spouting utter mindless bullshit any dimotwit  could believe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comments:  No, I suck at parties.  I'm a lawyer, whadya want?

"Whadya want"? I'll tell you what I don't want. I don't want to go to a party with you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we found Kerry's new campaign manager.  You sir have a talent for spouting utter mindless bullshit any dimotwit  could believe.

The story around here is that when Kennedys get into some kind of hassle (like a dry cleaning bill, or having to pay for a meal), they say:  "Do you know who I am?"  Kerry is famous for doing the same.

One day Kerry asked that of the wrong guy, who responded:  'Yeah.  A golddigger.'
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

TRANSLATION:   Blah, blah, blah apples, blah, blah extrapolation (they'll think I'm smart), blah, blah, I'm an ASSHAT Dummy-crat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRANSLATION:   Blah, blah, blah apples, blah, blah extrapolation (they'll think I'm smart), blah, blah, I'm an ASSHAT Dummy-crat.

A. Reading my update might be educational.
B. I heard reading was now taught in the South, but I stand corrected.
C. This flame war is over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top