Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 6:41:14 PM EDT
I have a Springfield Armory USGI .45. It is the bare bones 1911, just like the ones grandpa used to carry.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that Grandpa got saddled with some pretty lousy sights, and I want to add a red dot to it.

What are my options?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Will it allow your weapon to cycle? Couldn't it slow down the slide with the added weight? Just asking. Mine is a stock 1911 and it has some feed problems but is practically brand new and will wear in, I'm told.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have about 650 rounds through mine, and it took about 450 to iron out all of the feed problems. It wasn't jamming, it just seemed like it could have used a forward assist.

From what I have seen, the do not mount to the slide, but to the frame. I have also found a real little one that does mount to the slide and is cupposed to be pretty good.

I am more concerned with the spent casings ejecting properly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
a red dot sight on a pistol?

just get the slide fitted with Novaks or something
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
a red dot sight on a pistol?

just get the slide fitted with Novaks or something

The front sight is a striker. I'd have to get the slide machined so that the front sight is dove tailed in order to put anything worthwile on.

Unless I get a red dot that is!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Who makes that little red dot that can mount in place of the rear sight?  The Doctor Optic, or some name like that...

It's a little bit of overkill, but it's doable.  Seems more suited for a race gun than a defensive gun, but different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
So the mount surrounds the slide without touching it? The added weight would tend to keep the climb down some and let your following shots quicker to get back on target. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Springfield Armory USGI .45. It is the bare bones 1911, just like the ones grandpa used to carry.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that Grandpa got saddled with some pretty lousy sights, and I want to add a red dot to it.

What are my options?

How about Crimson Trace laser-grips instead?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Laser sucks ass in full daylight. I was disappointed with mine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are my options?

How about Crimson Trace laser-grips instead?

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys just can't answer a question directly can you?

He asked about red dots.......  well here ya go.  A red dot for a 1911.

www.cmore.com/serendipity.html

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Dr. Optic.  I have one, I switch between AR and Uzi.  Cool and light.  Weel made.

Here is a link to a picture... BTW, Im not affiliated with these guys, just the first one that came up on the search

www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/doctoroptics/doctorsight/doctorsight.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He asked about red dots.......  well here ya go.  A red dot for a 1911.

www.cmore.com/serendipity.html

www.cmore.com/Images/CSLB_1.jpg

www.cmore.com/Images/sl_subpic_3.jpg

Ahh you beat me to it but I would op for a railway
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The slide mount is the best route. This is my " Bullseye " wad cutter SA Inc 1911 with clark base and 1" Ultra Dot. Clark base uses same hole pattern as a Bomar sight rib and can be had with a clearance cut for the front sight blade so it doesn't have to be removed for easy restoration back to iron sights.

Also the slide mount allows the dot to be lower on the bore line than frame mounts and thus easier to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes!!  How's that?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Who makes that little red dot that can mount in place of the rear sight?  The Doctor Optic, or some name like that...

It's a little bit of overkill, but it's doable.  Seems more suited for a race gun than a defensive gun, but different strokes for different folks.

+1 for a Doktor red dot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not just get another Springfield?  Like a Mil-Spec?  They retail for under $500.  Compared to the red-dot, its a hell of a deal, considering you will spend close to $500 to put a red-dot on a 1911 after all   is said and done.  Plus, this way, you'll have 2 guns instead of 1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Why ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Should be NO PROBLEM... just enter any convinence store or motel, you'll find one behind the counter, just take the SLACK OUT OF THE TRIGGER and there ya go, a RED DOT for your .45....!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Should be NO PROBLEM... just enter any convinence store or motel, you'll find one behind the counter, just take the SLACK OUT OF THE TRIGGER and there ya go, a RED DOT for your .45....!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top