Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 4:46:00 PM EDT
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.
One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.
Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.
The attack inspired the 1994 R.E.M. hit "What's the Frequency, Kenneth." Being a good sport, Dan Rather even accompanied the band when they performed the song on a Late Show with David Letterman appearance.

In 1997, based on a tip from a psychiatrist, Rather's attacker was identified as William Tager. According to the psychiatrist, Tager, who was currently serving time for killing an NBC stagehand, blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You know, I have never heard the story behind this until now. Old boy shoulds got himself a tinfoil hat...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
So who's Kenneth?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.
One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.
Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.
The attack inspired the 1994 R.E.M. hit "What's the Frequency, Kenneth." Being a good sport, Dan Rather even accompanied the band when they performed the song on a Late Show with David Letterman appearance.

In 1997, based on a tip from a psychiatrist, Rather's attacker was identified as William Tager. According to the psychiatrist, Tager, who was currently serving time for killing an NBC stagehand, blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
"What's The Frequency, Kenneth?"

"What's the frequency, Kenneth?" is your Benzedrine, uh-huh
I was brain-dead, locked out, numb, not up to speed
I thought I'd pegged you an idiot's dream
Tunnel vision from the outsider's screen
I never understood the frequency, uh-huh
You wore our expectations like an armored suit, uh-huh

I'd studied your cartoons, radio, music, TV, movies, magazines
Richard said, "Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy"
A smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth
You said that irony was the shackles of youth
You wore a shirt of violent green, uh-huh

"What's the frequency, Kenneth?" is your Benzedrine, uh-huh
Butterfly decal, rear-view mirror, dogging the scene
You smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth
You said that irony was the shackles of youth
You wore our expectations like an armored suit, uh-huh
I couldn't understand
You said that irony was the shackles of youth, uh-huh
I couldn't understand
I couldn't understand
I never understood, don't fuck with me, uh-huh

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did I think this had something to do with South Park?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i think they did that song just so the guitarist could keep flipping the pickup selector
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Two days til the AWB sunset, and you're talking about some Sausage Sniffer's Stupid song?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Two days til the AWB sunset, and you're talking about some Sausage Sniffer's Stupid song?

True.  Mike Stipe is into stick pussy for sure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anybody else think he looks like he's on chemo?

But he sings well. I like REM's music, although not their politics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anybody else think he looks like he's on chemo?

But he sings well. I like REM's music, although not their politics.

It's his steady diet of man chowder
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I just like the idea of Dan Rather being pummelled senseless.  It just seems right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century.

Among the three of them (Stipe, Rather and Tager), I'm not sure who is really the most confused.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unabashed loosness with the truth, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.
One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?" While Rather screamed"Its Regans fault!"  

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a Karl Rove agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a vast right wing conspiracy. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject so he just made up stuff and generally lied thru his teeth?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.All our experts have verified this is true and we stand by our made up story.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.

What a shame Rather got punked like  a 'little' person. If some arfcommer would've just suggested a tin-foil hat all this violence could've been avoided
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top