Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:45:03 PM EDT
What is needed? $10 a pop just seems insane. How do I do it at home?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If I can still remember any chemistry, it'd be an exchange reaction - the iron has the oxygen but aluminium is much more reactive so it grabs it. You don't get to use the test tube for anything else afterwards by the way.

Fe2O3 + Al -> Al203 + Fe, that is
iron oxide + aluminium -> aluminium oxide + iron

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
you go to www.tannerite.com of course

as far as homebrew, no ideas here my man
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just get some tin cans, fill them with gas, and shoot them with tracers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I can still remember any chemistry, it'd be an exchange reaction - the iron has the oxygen but aluminium is much more reactive so it grabs it. You don't get to use the test tube for anything else afterwards by the way.

This will blow up if a round hits it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Congratulations, you've just made thermite!

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How the fuck am I being a troll fuck face.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congratulations, you've just made thermite!

Lmao I don't want to burn a fucking hole in the ground.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For liabilities sake that's about all I'm gonna say
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Not this shit again!!!!

Save your 10 fingers, two eyes, face, life, and buy it.  

Darwin is always accepting new applicantions thru his recruiter Mr. Murphy, trust me - you don't want to be an applicant nor be accepted to recieve your award.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

Darwin is always accepting new applicantions thru his recruiter Mr. Murphy, trust me - you don't want to be an applicant nor be accepted to recieve your award.

Agreed Thermite is fun.  But having 10 digits is better!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

But I want to make alot and don't have $10,000 for targets
Chemicals are cheap, pound of sulfur is $3 and so on. $10 for a target is a rip. Maybe one of you smart guys should start making some cheaper shit for us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want tannerite, just buy it, you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Tannerite, from what I understand, is made with Ammonium Nitrate with a sensitizer added.  Many things can be used but powdered metals (usually aluminum) tend to be the best sensitizers, but  Nitromethane is probably the best sensitizer.

I would strongly recommend against any home manufacture of a Tannerite-like explosive.  BATFE would not look favorably on such activity.  They require silly licenses and such.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

Chemicals are cheap, pound of sulfur is $3 and so on. $10 for a target is a rip. Maybe one of you smart guys should start making some cheaper shit for us.

I wonder what legal implications there are seling this stuff though?
You could also cram a bunch of cannon fuse in a can and shoot it.  Safer for sure...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
www.thecatalyst.org/other/thermite/
Thermite is a wee bit extreme for me. Kind of seems a fire hazard in the desert.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Tannerite, from what I understand, is made with Ammonium Nitrate with a sensitizer added.  Many things can be used but powdered metals (usually aluminum) tend to be the best sensitizers, but  Nitromethane is probably the best sensitizer.

I would strongly recommend against any home manufacture of a Tannerite-like explosive.  BATFE would not look favorably on such activity.  They require silly licenses and such.

Why can you make your own fireworks etc as long as it is legal in your area?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a regular bullet at least.  I am not going to mention how to get "lit".  I will say this though it burns real farking hot and its not good for eyes to look at it.   I melted a big hole in a POS motorcycle engine with a a nest of thermite grenades and coffer dam, its not to be trifled with.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the fuck am I being a troll fuck face.

Now that was not nice!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you come up with some of these stupid questions?

You should devote more time to your Troll thread in The Pit.

Anyone who actually knows the answer to your question would have to be self destructive to share it on this board. Sounds like a couple thousand law suits in the making.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Anyone who actually knows the answer to your question would have to be self destructive to share it on this board. Sounds like a couple thousand law suits in the making.

Yup  I gave a formulation and nothing about amounts...
Stick with the real deal or use cannon fuse...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a regular bullet at least.  I am not going to mention how to get "lit".  I will say this though it burns real farking hot and its not good for eyes to look at it.   I melted a big hole in a POS motorcycle engine with a a nest of thermite grenades and coffer dam, its not to be trifled with.

Yeah I figured that real quick I know what Thermite  is just not how its made. I aint screwing with that shit. I've put my hand on a few hot welds and thats a bitch. Now molten metal well darwin wont get me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well I guess talking about killing people the best way and so on is very constructive. Of course this thread is so destructive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I guess talking about killing people the best way and so on is very constructive. Of course this thread is so destructive.

My wang is also destructive.

I have a destructive wang.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I have a 2 foot cock so i guess it too is a DD, well I guess now for saying that this thread will be locked oh well
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I have a 2 foot cock so i guess it too is a DD, well I guess now for saying that this thread will be locked oh well

Is it a pre ban 24 wang?

IBTL
COWBELL
POOPER PICS
ITS A TRAP
BUY EM BOTH
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a pre ban 24 wang?

IBTL
COWBELL
POOPER PICS
ITS A TRAP
BUY EM BOTH

I had the doctor give it to me in sept 14 94. Missed the ban so right now it is illegal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
You keep rubbing those two brain cells together, and one of them is gonna explode.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You keep rubbing those two brain cells together, and one of them is gonna explode.

Maybe but we can only hope, by the way stop being a fucking troll
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
why not ask dan tanner?

I would think he wouldn't share that info. Being his last name is tanner. Sounds like its his idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
the info is in his patent. the world knows what is in tannerite.

if you can do it cheaper, better, faster...more power to you.

oh yeah...better check with the local authorities, epa, osha, local zoning regs, the fbi and homeland security before you go into the biz.

i would guess 75% of dan's cost is in permits, training, proper facilities and a couple of lawyers that help keep him on the straight and narrow.

be careful! i've seen what that stuff can do when the fornula is perfect. if you get it wrong...don't post pics!!

Campybob, thnx for being civil. I guess thats why your staff. Appreciate the comments
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

Where do you buy chemicals?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

Where do you buy chemicals?

www.skylighter.com/
Is just one of many
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Check at the US Patent Office if you must know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Thermite is not Aluminum Oxide and Iron.  It's Iron Oxide and Aluminum.

I use it a lot.  Extremely stable....IMO more so than tannerite.  But then they have very different uses.

I know of no one who has lost fingers because of thermite.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not this shit again!!!!

Agreed Thermite is fun.  But having 10 digits is better!

Tannerite.  Not thermite.  You would have to have an IQ less than that of a jar of peanut butter to lose a finger to thermite.  Most people aren't even smart enough to light it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why can you make your own fireworks etc as long as it is legal in your area?

You can do it, but it gets very tricky in practice.  You can have 2 grains (120 milligrams) in an explosive device.  An aspirin table is 5 grains!  You cannot use a metal container or anything that would create lethal projectiles or you skirt dangerously close to creating a destructive device.  You of course cannot sell what you make.  If you fire off your creations the same day you make them then you are OK, but if you decide to stock a few of them, then you have strict BATFE storage regulations to follow.  If you look into it a little, it becomes readily apparent that it is not worth the hassle.    

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I use it a lot.  Extremely stable....IMO more so than tannerite.  But then they have very different uses.

+1

Thermite is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Thermite is awesome!

So what do thermite rounds do? Are they worth it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Lot of mis-information in this thread.

For formulae, see here here and here. more info on recreational explosives here.

If you just want to shoot explosives, come to our event and shoot all you're able to. Last year we put out over a ton of HE over 2 days and still had plenty left at the end of the day.

The BATFE publishes the Orange Book, which is your pal for safe storage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So what do thermite rounds do? Are they worth it?

Nah. They just spark a lot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#44]
What type of courses are required for HE?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Courses?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Courses?

Isn't a license required?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Courses?

NAVSCOLEOD
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You forgot the magnesium.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Courses?

Isn't a license required?

In Idaho, no. In Washington, a pyrotechnics license is required. YMMV. YYY.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot the magnesium.

Then it'll burn right through to China

BTW Texas does require a Pyro license.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top