Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 1:20:22 PM EDT
I refinished my SAR-1 after not being happy with the factory finish.  I used high temperature engine paint from Wal-Mart, the stuff that is rated for 1200 degrees.  For the wood I used some Min-Wax, mahogony finish.  Here are some easy steps to accomplich that.

To refinish the metal:

1.  Unload rifle
2.  Dissamble rifle.  I took off stocks, gas tube, and selector.  I then taped off exposed areas that I did not want to get paint in.
3.  Completly degrese rifle.  I used Break Free Powder blast to get the rifle clean and free of oil.
4.  I then rinced the metal in water and let dry for about  three hours.
5.  Took the barreled action and othe parts out to the porch and hung from the ceiling with coat hangers.  Then I let the painting begin!  Nice even sprays with the engin paint and let dry about 2 hours between coats, for a total of 5 coats of paint.
6.  After the last coat of paint was applied, I let the rifle hang overnight before putting the metal parts into the oven to bake on the finish.  To my surprise, the house did not smell from the baking.
7.  After the parts coled they were ready for assembly.

To refinish the Wood:

1.  I used stripper purchased from Wal-Mart in a green can to remove the thick varnish on the wood.
2.  I then sanded the wood down as much I could with old fashened sand paper to be sure all varnish was gone.
3.  It is important to rinse the wood with water after sanding to get rid of all the wood dust.
4.  Next I used a sponge with bleach in it to wipe on the wood to whiten the wood so I could refinish to any color I wanted.
5.  After letting the bleach dry over night, I followed the instructions on the Min Wax on applying the stain to the wood.  I let it dry overnight for each additional coat for a total of about 5 coats.
6.  The final step was to apply about six coats of tung oil to the wood to seal in the stain.

The finished product looks great!  I would say the metal looks as good as a Bulgarian kit and the wood looks a million times better!  I did this about a year ago and have since fired about 2,000 rounds through the rifle.  The finish has held up well through all the cleanings and bump firing.

I hope some can find this helpful in refinishing their rifles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pics would jazz up your post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You realize there is an AK forum for stuff like this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You forgot to edit a few of these

I think you missed one or two in there. You may want to check.  Just trying to help.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic taken right after I got done but it is so dark you cant make out much.
My camera is not working well now but I will post new pics when it is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You realize there is an AK forum for stuff like this.

Fucking NEWBIES !!!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, Nice post and nice AK!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Be careful with the hi-temp paint. I used it to re-finish an A1 upper. It looked absoultely beautiful when I finished - until I got a little solvent on it. The @#$% stuff came right off. I had to re-finish it all over again. This time I used Aluma-Hyde II from Brownells. Big difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally I like the beat up 50 year old wood on my SLR100H
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fucking NEWBIES !!!

HS1

Click on this asstroll's profile.  71 posts per day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fucking NEWBIES !!!

HS1

trollfile?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fucking NEWBIES !!!

HS1

Somebody needs a nap
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
How many times have you taken it out and shot it since you reworked it ??? I'm asking because a couple of friends of mine did the same thing to theirs and now they dont want to take it out for FEAR of getting a scratch on it, my maadi came with a shitty paint job and even had sand in the paint on the inside of the receiver, I shoot it ,then spray it down with WD40 and then use the air compressor to blow off the excess, the only reason I spray it with WD40 is because after I've shot corrosive ammo in it and didnt clean it , I had to kick the bolt loose with my foot because it was stock shut, some of you guys Baby your AK's too much
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I just lay 'em on a gravel road and let a few neighbors run over them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top