Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 9:18:47 AM EDT
From FoxNews:

Ohio Speed Trap Goes Out of Existence

NEW ROME, Ohio (AP) — No roads lead to New Rome.

This tiny central Ohio village, known to locals as a speed trap that raked in thousands of dollars in traffic fines every year, is no more.

The village's dissolution became official Wednesday and it now becomes another part of Prairie Township.

New Rome's demise came after a court sided with Attorney General Jim Petro and agreed the village had been operating illegally.

A recently passed law allows the state to seek dissolution of villages of fewer than 150 people if the state auditor finds a pattern of wrongdoing or incompetence in its operation. The village admitted it did not pass a tax budget in 2004 and failed to follow election laws.

Wednesday was the deadline for village defenders to file an appeal.

The police department generated about $300,000 a year in fines from speeding tickets written along a two-block stretch of West Broad Street.

Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge David Cain also dismissed pending traffic tickets issued by the village, which affected about 2,000 motorists.

I have to wonder, how large was the police force for less than 150 people?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Old news for us Buckeyes.

All the local .gov officials were related.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have to wonder, how large was the police force for less than 150 people?

I seem to recall a website done up by a guy who was busted in their speedtrap, that was the
contributing (or  a big part, at least) to the town's downfall. Told of the corruption, etc. Was rather
lengthy, but a good read and a real eye-opener to some of the shady shit that goes on in backwater
USA.

Can't remember the URL, but maybe an Ohio member here might know it by heart?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel qualified to answer this, as I drove through New Rome every day, on my way to and from work.
They had approx 4 cops.  Half of the force, mayor and council were related.  Two cops were brothers (twins... tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum).  They worked 7 days a week (maybe not Sun, don't remember), sitting on both sides of Broad St/Rt 40 (National Road), a 4-lane, major street that runs east-west from one end of Columbus to the other.  (In fact it runs from one end of America to the other).  They would set up one cop car for east bound traffic, and one car for west bound traffic. The speed limit on Broad street is 45mph for miles in either direction, but for 2 blocks of New Rome, it is 35mph.  They usually had one car pulled over at any one time.  You couldn't hope to go to court and get it dismissed, because the cops were only 2 blocks away, at most, and they would just call them on theradio.  I would occassionally press my luck and flip them off.  They had an election a couple years ago, with 63 (I think residents) and 80 registered voters. (No, that's not a typo).  The guy running against the incumbant mayor was running on the sole platform of dissolving the village.  When he won, the council refused to convene and certify the results.  Took several court orders.  The guys first act as mayor was to dissolve the police force and put padlocks on the police station doors, and hire the Franklin Co Sheriff for police service.

Read some stories about the encounters with police here...
My wife worked with this guy.  
They came into his work office to arrest him on a warrant for failure to appear, or something, based on some traffic citation. Took him off in cuffs.

NewRomeSucks.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...a good read and a real eye-opener to some of the shady shit that goes on in backwater
USA.

Hard to call 1000 feet outside Columbus, OH corp limits "backwater USA.  
This was "in your face" corruption.
But, I know what you meant, there are plenty of small towns like this throughout the USA.
I remember a story about a town that incorporated 50 feet of land across I-75? in Florida to run a speedtrap.
It was AAA's # 1 rated worst speed trap in USA.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
There's still Linndale ... if you come up to Cleveland on I-71 from the airport, watch out for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Your thread title sucks.

Speeding on public highways is never safe, nor should it be encouraged.

I am a professional truck driver and also a former law enforcement officer with training in accident investigation.

With all of my experience, and the many, many accidents I have either come upon or witnessed driving a truck, there is one thing that seems to be very common.

The drivers instigating the accident appeared to be either "in a hurry" or "goofing around" ie. driving fast for the thrill.

Speeders suck.  Period.  Full stop.

If you want to drive fast, take advantage of the many opportunities in our fine country for the hobby of racing (cars, boats, motorcycles etc).  STAY THE FUCK OFF OUR ROADS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]

With all of my experience, and the many, many accidents I have either come upon or witnessed driving a truck, there is one thing that seems to be very common.

The drivers instigating the accident appeared to be either "in a hurry" or "goofing around" ie. driving fast for the thrill.

Speeders suck. Period. Full stop.

I'm glad to hear the alcohol impaired no longer drive, I feel much safer now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Speeders suck. Period. Full stop.

I'm glad to hear the alcohol impaired no longer drive, I feel much safer now.

This thread is about speeding, not DUI.  What about my post makes you think that every single highway incident that occurs is due to speed?

Put down yer whiskey glass before you post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to average 80 on the highway
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This thread is about speeding, not DUI.  What about my post makes you think that every single highway incident that occurs is due to speed?

Put down yer whiskey glass before you post.

Negative.  This thread is about a corrupt gov't and police force getting shut down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Negative.  This thread is about a corrupt gov't and police force getting shut down.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I thought the thread title was "Is it safe to speed through Ohio now?"

MY BAD!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Apology accpeted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Drove from Detroit to Pittsburgh though Ohio averaging 85 mph.  Didnt see one cop.  They did have Panera resturants in the rest stops, which was nice!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Apology accpeted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top