Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 6:23:52 AM EDT
Two days ago as I was going to bed I noticed my left "big toe" was twiching(actually, that long muscle on the side that pulls the bigtoe outward).  Well, It kept me up again last night and now its even began twitching during the day!  

Is this sort of thing normal guys?

Is this the begining of Parkinsons or some kind of neuro-muscular disorder?

Please help as I'm a hypochondriac (poor college student who can't afford to go to the doctor over a little twich) and my mind is blowing this way out of proportion hopefully.

Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Drink more water, and eat some potassium
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I get those kind of spasms on occasion. Sometimes a large muscle will just twitch on its own.

I've been checked out every way possible.. nothing bad.

If you're really concerned, see a neurologist. But it's probably nothing to worry about. Stress can induce those types of spasms.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I get this muscle in my arm that twitches occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This man knows of what he speaks.  This is good advice (drink much water and chew a few bananas).

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#6]
stress maybe causing it to twitch.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Hanua, I do have a lot of stress lately

first, I think I have oral cancer because of an ulcer and spend $300 on doctors for it,

then I think I have herpes because of an ingrown hair on my dick (during the honeymoon)

then this

I've been like this ever since my grandad died, I feel like a freakin wacko, before this I was bit by a copperhead one time on a shore, jumped into the water to grab it, threw it on shore and decapitated it!  Now Im wimpering and worrying about EVERYTHING!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
+2

At VMI I used to get pretty severe muscular spasms after PT.  Three bananas a day cleared it up quickly.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you get leg cramps. This an advanced sign of lack of potassium.

I have leg muscle twitch, arm muscle twitch. and my right eye looks like I'm winking sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+3 or whatever.

Get some exercise too.  Sometimes my legs get all twitchy at night if I don't walk or ride a bicycle enough.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's a BOTD issue you have
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#13]
yes I have had sore legs, not so much cramped though
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a BOTD issue you have

this is no laughing matter
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The condition that your describing is technically called clonus, or myoclonus.

It may, or may not be a pathological condition, meaning that nothing causes it or there is a reason.

There is some talk of nutritional components being suspect, nothing has been confirmed.

Relax, exercise, eat right, get plenty of rest, relax.

Doc T

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I had some on-going  muscular twitching for several years leading up to my neck surgery this year. After the surgery when  I would lay in bed , my legs would twitch repeatedly, enough to drive the wife out of bed. The doc said it was my spinal cord resetting after the pressure was taken off of it. It lasted about a month and I haven't had problems since.

That being said, I have had twitching in the past that was diet and work strain  related, as some here have commented on. That sort of twitching was best helped by bananas and similar foods.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#18]
You can try "Tonic Water", it contains Quinine which has been shown to reduce muscle cramps.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Massage the muscles around your toe.  Find tender knots (trigger points) and push on them very hard.  Eventually the twitching will go away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I developed twitching in my face and eye, and an awful  "bumping" sound due to a muscle firing in my ear.  I figured out that it was from drinking too much diet soda, which contains aspartame.  Aspartame is an "excitotoxin", and can cause spasms.  

I was drinking an insane gallon-plus of diet soda a day (2 2-liter bottles) for about 3 years (I worked for myself on the phone out of my house, and had to stay "up").  After I stopped cold turkey, the symptoms eased over 4 months or so, and then stopped.  Tried to mix just a little diet soda back into my diet (for obvious reasons), but the twitching started again.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It may, or may not be a pathological condition, meaning that nothing causes it or there is a reason.

There is some talk of nutritional components being suspect, nothing has been confirmed.

Doc T

Doctor,

does it sound like the beginings of Parkinson's disease?

thank you sir
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#22]
bump
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc T

Doctor,

does it sound like the beginings of Parkinson's disease?

thank you sir

No,

Parkinsons disease is the Substantia Nigria, (a part of the brain), inability to produce Dopamine, ( a neurotransmitter)

Initial signs are slow and decreased movements, muscular rigidity, resting tremors, andpostural instability.
Classic initial sign is "pill rolling" tremor of a single hand, usually dominant.

Onset usally past 40 yoa.

Familial history.

The muscular issues affect/effect large muscle groups, not small.

Your condition is very begnign, and quite common, relax.

Doc T

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
THANK YOU

you made me feel much better sir!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top