Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/7/2004 11:12:38 PM EDT
saw this on another forum. i was gonna stir the shit a bit, but my post count is like,  4, and i'd be pegged a troll, so i came back home to ask your opinions.

the guy on the other forum got bagged by a statey for tossing his butt out. he got piled on for doing it, but in four pages of replies, he fails to see it as a bad thing, as if it's ok and he's entitled to do it.

personally, it's a pet peeve of mine, but i was curious as to how others fealt.

is it ok and socially acceptable to toss cigarette butts out the window?
if you are one of them that does, why can't you use your ashtray? i'm really curious as to why the ashtray, that's right there, isn't used.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I do it.  It is a VERY bad habit that I am constantly working on.  I care less about the trash but a whole lot about starting fires since I live iun a VERY dry area.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its damned worthless of someone to do, like dumping your ashtray out the window ar at a light.

The only stuff that I throw out is some type of food like a chip I dropped, I figure the ants or something will get it.  Sometimes I have a piece of paper or a bag go flying out the window.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The reason the ashtray often doesn't get used is because the cig is in the left hand by the window.

To use the ash tray the left arm has to reach across the body and the steering wheelto get to the ash tray.

Not always safe or comfortable.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It is called littering and in some states a fire hazzard.and also some birds try and build nests with them and inturn it kills the birds
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I flicked em out when I was a smoker. Looking back on it, I cant believe I did it. I hardly ever see people do it these days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes I do it.  It is a VERY bad habit that I am constantly working on.  I care less about the trash but a whole lot about starting fires since I live iun a VERY dry area.

SGtar15

I don't smoke any more but when i did it was the dead of the drought in Denver area (colorado) and all i did was hold the cigarette out the window until it was out. then i would drop it. Only works if youre going kinda fast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is called littering and in some states a fire hazzard.and also some birds try and build nests with them and inturn it kills the birds

Kills people too, but not fast enough because they're still out there throwing butts out the window.  Gave me a good idea though -- smoker's burial: roll their casket out the back of the hearse while driving down the road.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kills people too, but not fast enough because they're still out there throwing butts out the window.  Gave me a good idea though -- smoker's burial: roll their casket out the back of the hearse while driving down the road.

Damn you! you owe me a new chew, because half of it i swallowed, and the other half is one the screen.

Too funny!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When I used to smoke, I flicked em out the window without even thinking about it.

Never thought about it being a problem, I guess.  Whoops.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn good way to start a brush fire in this neck of the woods.

Totally uncool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn you! you owe me a new chew, because half of it i swallowed, and the other half is one the screen.

Too funny!!

I'm glad you took it the way I meant it -- as humor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I quit smoking about 11 months ago and I flicked butts so the car wasn't as stinky
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Yes I do it. It is a VERY bad habit that I am constantly working on. I care less about the trash but a whole lot about starting fires since I live iun a VERY dry area.

SGtar15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nooooooooooo, not the producer of the movies!
i've got to block those replies out now.
cracker down!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
If I get hit by a cig butt that was flicked out by someone in a car/truck I just wait till the right time to ride by (motorcycle) and break their mirror or kick the side of the vehicle.

And no, you can't catch me -
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I get hit by a cig butt that was flicked out by someone in a car/truck I just wait till the right time to ride by (motorcycle) and break their mirror or kick the side of the vehicle.

Wanta bet?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sounds like a dangerous action there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep.
I might wait 5-15 minutes for the right opportunity.
But I always get my revenge.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanta bet?

SGatr15

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen kids around here that were fined more than $650-$1000 for flicking one out the window....

"Intent to start a fire" was the reason given.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
seeing one flicked out isn't too bad, till the one day it dawns on you as you look around, and you notice the shear volume of butts on the side of the road.  
parking lots are a horror show, and seeing where someone just opened their door and dumped a whole ashtray........fuck, one at a time out the window would have at least dispersed the mess.

can you imagine what the roads would look like if they weren't constantly being picked up?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't stand it!  The only thing that perturbs me more are the one's who smoke at gas stations.  Makes me just want to walk up and bitch slap'em.  Can't you read moron, "No smoking, highly explosive" Put your life in danger when it doesn't involve me.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
seeing one flicked out isn't too bad, till the one day it dawns on you as you look around, and you notice the shear volume of butts on the side of the road.  
parking lots are a horror show, and seeing where someone just opened their door and dumped a whole ashtray........fuck, one at a time out the window would have at least dispersed the mess.

can you imagine what the roads would look like if they weren't constantly being picked up?

Yeah, but I bet the culprit's houses aren't littered with butts, so no harm done, right?

What angers me is that people are such weak, flittery animals that they let themselves get roped into an addiction like cigarettes, throw their trash and smoke around, and then bellyache that it's hard to quit. Don't like smelling like a dog's ass or wasting money funding the government, or turning your innards black, then give the shit up.

Amazing how many smokers rail against drug addicts or drunks, as if their addiction is somehow more noble or easily laid aside.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I litter at every opportunity. It's good for the economy. As was just pointed out, everything I throw out the window, someone has to come along and pick up. Do you want them to be out of job?

As for fire, I use charcoal brickettes. More effective than butts, and it kind of adds a party atmosphere to what might otherwise be a boring drive in the country.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It bugs the heck out of me!  I often wondered if it was considered littering or not.

I was sitting at a light a few years back and this idiot flicks his butt out his window and hit the side of my car.  So I took my large drink that I just purchased and threw it at his car.  He just gave me this puzzled look and gave me the bird.

All I see coming from this is a wasted beverage and a guy that still didn't learn his lesson.

And KA3B must have read that technique somewhere and copied it
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I issue few traffic citations, but that is one that is more or less guaranteed to get you one from me. I haven't smoked in at least a decade, and I never threw butts out of the car.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Pack a day for 4 years now... never used the ashtray.

My grandmother uses it.... since she can't even open her own window.

The way I look at it is this:

I have never had a bad event happen with someone flicking at me... and if you watch them fly out your window at night, you can see how they go down and hit the pavement.  They don't flutter around into cars.

HOWEVER, if I lived in a fire-prone area, you bet your ass I'd be using the ashtray.

Flame on...

- BG
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#29]
It's one of the scummiest things going.  It's actually pretty indicative of the "me first and fuck you" attitude of most junkies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's one of the scummiest things going.  It's actually pretty indicative of the "me first and fuck you" attitude of most junkies.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#31]
so.......to keep your car from smelling of butts, even though you just smoked one inside,  it's ok to litter and toss the butt out.
it's also ok to litter by throwing your butt out, as long as your sure you won't start a fire.

when you're home at your own house, do you toss your butts out onto the driveway and lawn, or is it different because now it's YOUR home.

would you like it if a car drove by and a butt was flicked on your lawn as you cut it, and if not, why is it ok to litter other peoples property, or the public roadways?

disclaimer: not calling anyone out in particular, just a discussion, no lock to be needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Actually yes, I do throw my smoke on my own lawn.  I am also the one that picks them up.

Throwing a butt out the window so it hits someone is rude.

Breaking the mirror is even ruder....and stupid since I have a license plate number now.

SGatr1`5
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I can't stand it when some asshole flicks one out and it hits my car.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:50:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Flickin butts is like changing lanes... you DO check your blind spot for cars.

I'm still not convinced its such an evil crime to flick your butts out the window.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Every time I see someone toss a butt out the window I'm wishing I was a trooper.  Can't stand that crap.  Stop at any light and look out your window and you'll see cigarette butts everywhere.  Why is that a good thing?  If someone's going to smoke, keep the butts in your own car and dump it in the trash later.  I wish anyone caught throwing butts out the window would be fined and forces to pick up cigarette butts along the road.  A 100m stretch would have them there all day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#36]
It's actually illegal now in Indiana. Passed a law a year or so ago, littering and it is a $75 fine if I remember right. When I did throw them out, I was always careful to make sure no one was behind me, especially motorcycles, I have been hit by one on a cycle and it is no fun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]
The world is not your ashtray you fucking pigs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Tragedy of the commons.  If roads were privately owned, I think drivers would be a bit more considerate lest the owners ban them from using their roads.  

I see it all the time--garbage thrown out in front of someone's house is quickly picked up.  Garbage thrown along state or city owned property sits for ages until some do-gooding, unpaid, "adopt a highway" bunch comes along.  Or prisoners--we have slave labor in this country.  If the prisoners are safe enough to be let out to pick up trash then they don't belong in prison.

Sorry for the hijack--I hate getting the cig flicker in front of me at night and all of a sudden you have all these sparks flying around at you. WTF was that?  

Hey, the world is not your ashtray, pal!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine are routinely flung out the window (straight down of course, so as to not hit someone). I don't want my car to stink either. I just don't see the BFD about it. I don't give a shit about cigarette butts in the road. I have bigger things to worry about and if cops have nothing else to do than issue citations for that crap then we have too many cops. Time for lay offs till they're needed again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#40]
It's very common around here, and done by all classes of people.  It's both littering AND the cause of fires.

Some smokers simply don't equate it to littering.  My father was this way.  He wouldn't think about throwing a cup out of the window, or into the water while fishing, but he's flick his butt out or overboard without a second thought.  He justified it with the 'biodegradable' excuse.  Yeah, but throwing a tin can (not aluminum) out could be justified with the same excuse.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Back when I was an MP I gave people a choice, get a ticket for littering or start picking up butts along the road for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#42]
as a motorcycle enthuisiast i hate when people in cages throw butts out the window. sometime ball bearings fall out of my pocket when i  am in front of the offending car.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow. Must be nice to be a perfect! (this in direct reference to all the sanctimonious saints who don't spit on the sidewalk, let their dog shit in the neighbors yard or never go out in public in spandex or with a bad comb-over. Thankl you for never having your car drip oil, radiator overflow or throwing up on the sidewalk after a college drinking binge. Do tell us more on how to lead the perfect life! Is Hillary your hero?

(no, I don't smoke anymore and yes, the butts did go out the window and sgtar15 is correct that if the cigarette is in your left hand, the "cross-over" to the ashtray is a hazard, especially when the lit part drops off in your lap, and they used to make cars with an ashtray in the armrest so that wasn't required, but since all you perfect people have enlightened the unwashed masses as to how unclean smoking is (btw, did you floss today? of course you did, you're perfect!) that ashtray went away, and yes, smokers know that it is a bad habit, and yes, nicotine is about as addictive as heroin (if you believe the lab rats) and yes, it is a bad thing to throw them out on the highway, but in comparison to a holier than thou attitude, it's far less offensive.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I am in Colorado. Grass/Forest fires is are a big problem here...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Personally, I do not understand why smokers roll down their windows at all.  How much did they pay for those smokes?  If they roll down the window, they are letting all of that smoke get away.  They should keep the windows up and get the full benefit of all of that smoke.

It allows others that don't smoke and are behind them to freeload off of their smoke.  It is a real waste of money.

Smokers, please leave your windows up and make sure you receive the full benefit of the smoke you paid all of that money for.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#46]
About eight years ago in Gainesville Florida my brother and I were heading for Lake Santa Fe on a state road. I was driving and my brother was in the passenger seat. Ahead of us a driver throws out a cigarette. Even though it bothers me to see someone do it, it drives my younger brother crazy. He would usually verbally attack them if he could back then. Well he happened to have one of those huge soda drinks from a convienent store that day and it just about full. So we pull up to a red light in the turn left lane and the women who happened to throw cig but is to the right of us with window down. My brother did not tell me his intentions, but right as the light turned green he throws all the soda in her window and it goes everywhere including most on her. I will never forget the look on that womens face. I was laughing and scolding my brother at the same time. I wonder if she put two and two together about the cig butt being thrown and the 32 plus onces of soda shower.

I always wanted to pick up the butt, get to next light, and throw it back in their car saying hey you dropped this back there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#48]
As a motorcycle rider, flicking butts out of the window is even a bigger problem...I have them glance off the windscreen throwing sparks, smack me on my riding jacket, and one even left a burn mark on my $80 polorized faceshield on my Shoei helmet....

I thinks its not only nasty, but for others like me that ride motorcycles, it's dangerous...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
About eight years ago in Gainesville Florida my brother and I were heading for Lake Santa Fe on a state road. I was driving and my brother was in the passenger seat. Ahead of us a driver throws out a cigarette. Even though it bothers me to see someone do it, it drives my younger brother crazy. He would usually verbally attack them if he could back then. Well he happened to have one of those huge soda drinks from a convienent store that day and it just about full. So we pull up to a red light in the turn left lane and the women who happened to throw cig but is to the right of us with window down. My brother did not tell me his intentions, but right as the light turned green he throws all the soda in her window and it goes everywhere including most on her. I will never forget the look on that womens face. I was laughing and scolding my brother at the same time. I wonder if she put two and two together about the cig butt being thrown and the 32 plus onces of soda shower.

I always wanted to pick up the butt, get to next light, and throw it back in their car saying hey you dropped this back there.

Try it. Let us know what happens.

Your brother is an asshole. Did she flick the butt in your car? No. But he thinks throwing his drink on her is a solution?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
As a motorcycle rider, flicking butts out of the window is even a bigger problem...I have them glance off the windscreen throwing sparks, smack me on my riding jacket, and one even left a burn mark on my $80 polorized faceshield on my Shoei helmet....

I thinks its not only nasty, but for others like me that ride motorcycles, it's dangerous...

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top