Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:36:44 AM EDT
I'm currently a yearly member.  Should we be successful in this, and it looks like we will be, I'll upgrade as a thank you gesture.

Don't think it couldn't have been done without them in terms of the composition of the House.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you.  Hopefully more people will follow your lead or at least lay off the "NRA will sell you out" line they have been spouting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I was gonna do the same.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
nationwide sez "Fuckin A!!!".

I signed up for the Easy Pay Life membership when I decided I needed to insure my guns beyond $1,000.  

I recognize that without the NRA, even though they have been pretty wierd at times in the last 20 years, I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO OWN ANY OF THEM!

Thanks NRA!

I'M THE NRA, AND I VOTE!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been a Life Member for years, but I just bought my son his very own Youth Life Membership for his birthday - he turned one today!  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#5]
same here....as long as they have some kind of 30 year finance plan for college students
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was planning on buying a life membership, but I've spent so much money lately that I'm going to have to take the EZ-Pay Life route to keep my promise to them (5 year renewal for lawsuit preemption, life for AW expiration). I really wish I could afford to buy one outright, I feel sorta scumy not doing so.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
That's been my plan as well.  I can't afford to do it on Sep 14, but will before the end of the year.

I don't think NRA is perfect, but it's obvious that between the AWB and their stance on Campaign Finance Reform that they deserve our support.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW!!!  Thank you all for supporting my NRA!!!  I am a Life Member of 7 years.  This is great news.  I hope many others will follow suit!  Thank you!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditto, I will do the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I may have to jump on board as well.  Yearly member now for 12 years or so....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I will consider doing the same.  First, though, a couple of questions.:

- Has not the NRA been somewhat notorious for selling out us black rifle types?  It seems to me, historically they've been more about hunters rights than personal protection or general ownership-on-principle rights.

- Other than blame from the left (which always make me smile ), do we have any documented proof of the NRA's involvement in the sunset?  What about GOA?

Thanks for any and all info.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
- Other than blame from the left (which always make me smile ), do we have any documented proof of the NRA's involvement in the sunset?  What about GOA?

Thanks for any and all info.

It's not purely about supporters of black rifles, but getting reps elected who care about the RKBA, and not just hunting/shotgun games.  Without the House friendly toward the 2nd (not perfect, but I'll take it), all manner of antigun schemes could fly.

For the record, here's an NRA thing: www.clintongunban.com/
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Well its about freakin' time.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I belong to GOA and the local CSSA, but I will become a NRA life member when the AWB goes away next week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree. Might be time to become a member again. I had been a member before the 94 ban was allowed to pass. I have missed the magazine but not the ton of junk direct-marketed mail.

My brother has been a member for a few years now and has been on my back about rejoining. He's been collecting the gun videos and has let me borrow them. They are the same programs that are on the discover and histroy channels and are informative and well put together.

Having extra insurance on the guns would be nice also.

If the ban expires, I too will rejoin the NRA.

edited because I spell like a retard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was planning on buying a life membership, but I've spent so much money lately that I'm going to have to take the EZ-Pay Life route to keep my promise to them (5 year renewal for lawsuit preemption, life for AW expiration). I really wish I could afford to buy one outright, I feel sorta scumy not doing so.

Kharn

Do as I did years ago. The quartly payment was $25. But you can send that $25 in every month, if it's in your budget, that is. Then you pay off much, much sooner.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]
This is fantastic.  Thank you all again.  That's just great to hear.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes the NRA isn't as hard core as most of us would like.

But they have a looong history on teaching gun safety, in fact the NRA IS the authority in gun saftey classes. They also have a long history in promoting firearm competitions. This was a way to teach civilians marksmanship so as to improve the overall marksmanship in the military. Think, training the militia, if you will.

Only in the past 30-35 yrs have they started fighting antigun legislation. While not the most hardcore the NRA is the biggest, best financed and most well known organization fighting for the Second Amendment. This is what gets noticed by the politicos. The large number of members and the money behind them.

The NRA holds annual elections for it's officers. 5 year memebers, Life members and up are eligible to vote. I almost never vote the Nomination Committee's recomendations. I vote for the hardline no-comprimisers. If we had more on the BODs we could change the Association's stance.

But I need your help to get them elected.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats.

No more monthly mailings asking for money

I'm a Patron.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been a yearly member for about 10 years.  If the AWB indeed sunsets, I'll become lifetime, too -- and be sure and tell the NRA WHY I'm doing it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Good for you.  Hopefully more people will follow your lead or at least lay off the "NRA will sell you out" line they have been spouting.

The day they killed the Protection of Legal Commerce in Firearms Act because of the AWB ammendment I rejoined as a life member.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will consider doing the same.  First, though, a couple of questions.:

- Has not the NRA been somewhat notorious for selling out us black rifle types?  It seems to me, historically they've been more about hunters rights than personal protection or general ownership-on-principle rights.

They've taken up the issue becase so many of us have told them that their failure to protect/represent us has pissed us off.

They killed the Protection of Legal Commerce in Firearms Act after an AWB extension was ammended to it.  That was their bill, and they killed it because of the AWB.  That's all I needed to see.

As far as the GOA goes, I love their attitude, but they don't have the power to do much of anything.  They need more members.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#24]
All of you that plan on joining the NRA need to make sure you let them know that it's because of the AWB sunsetting.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I paid for my first annual membership this year.  I've been getting all these dumb letters from the Republican National Committee and the Republican Senatorial Committee asking me for money.  But I figure the best way to help defend RKBA is through the NRA, as my money going through them will have more of an impact on the political scene.  

I am gonna hold off until next year to upgrade my NRA membership.  Temporary expiration of the AWB does not satisfy me.  I will still require:

(1) Bush re-election.
(2) Effective blocking of new AWBs during 2005 sessions.
(3) More active attention being paid to repealing state-level AWBs.
(4) Gun industry liability protection is icing, but not necessary.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The NRA has done a great job of defending black rifles lately.  They imploded there own Tort reform law to prevent an AWB renewal.  Can you imagine the money that will cost the gun manufacturers?

The NRA has heard from us hard core defenders, and they have answered.

They are doing what we want, and they need our support.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
What is the price of a lifetime membership? I am considering it after the ban is lifted....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
- Other than blame from the left (which always make me smile ), do we have any documented proof of the NRA's involvement in the sunset?

The proof is what happened in the Senate...adding the AWB extension to a very popular bill as a ploy to get it passed.  The NRA calls in their markers and the entire package is voted down in the blink of an eye.

The NRA wais guilty of misjudgement a decade ago, but has worked tirelessly since then.  Without the NRA the AWB would have been renewed.

Thanks for continuing to support our NRA!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#32]
If I had 750 spare bucks I would get a life membership, until then its 35 a year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
$375 for me! Done deal.

Thank you for contacting us.

Distinguished Membership is extended to all Disabled Veterans of the
US Armed Forces regardless of level of disability. No proof of disability is required.
Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us
if you ever need anything else!

Best regards,
Rebecca
NRA Member Communications
11250 Waples Mill Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030
www.nra.org
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 800.672.3888

This is cool info.  I have eight to go for 30 though......Does having a tool for a CO count?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]
For the youth-life membership, do you have to pay off the extra at age 18?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Lifer and my 2 year old just got his started. yee ha 2 magazines
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
nationwide sez "Fuckin A!!!".

I signed up for the Easy Pay Life membership when I decided I needed to insure my guns beyond $1,000.  

I recognize that without the NRA, even though they have been pretty wierd at times in the last 20 years, I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO OWN ANY OF THEM!

Thanks NRA!

I'M THE NRA, AND I VOTE!

Definitely a +1.

Don't wait. Do it now. Nobody else can speak up for us on a national level like NRA. Want proof--who are the anti's badmouthing?? The NRA....

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
same here....as long as they have some kind of 30 year finance plan for college students

Easy pay life 25 bucks every 3 months
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If I had 750 spare bucks I would get a life membership, until then its 35 a year.

Do the Easy Pay Life.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not sure they're still doing it but you might want to check into the Legacy Points program. I did it a few months ago and was able to upgrade to a Life membership for something like $270. There was a good thread about it a month or so ago in the GD.  Or you can probably call NRA membership services and ask them about it.

The basic deal was you got points for renewing your annual membership or signing up for a new one plus that money was credited to your life membership if you did it within 90 days. You get more points for donating a few bucks to the NRA-ILA or one of their associations, a bunch for applying the the NRA Visa card and a bunch more the first time you used it. Doing these things gave you enough points to upgrade to a life membership for $235 + the $35 you already paid for the annual. Don't hold me to the exact details but it went something like that. If you can do a search in the GD you may be able to find the thread with more details. It's a great deal.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
(1) Bush re-election.

They're doing what they can already.  They bypassed the McCain/Feingold laws by getting their own news station on Sat Radio.  They're running tons of articles and pieces on why Kerry is a bad choice for shooters, which most of us already know.  What more do you want?

(2) Effective blocking of new AWBs during 2005 sessions.

You won't get this and #4.  The NRA already killed the liability protection legislation when an AWB renewal ammendment was attached in the Senate.

(3) More active attention being paid to repealing state-level AWBs.

(4) Gun industry liability protection is icing, but not necessary.    

They're already trying to get state level liability bills passed, but I agree they need to get state AWB's repealed.  However, without our support that's hard to do, and as a non-life member or a paying annual memeber for 5 years you do not get a vote in what goes on.  A life membership gets you that immediately.  Easy Pay Life gets you that when it's paid in full.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Good going Driftpunch!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Actually the NRA is/was directly responsible for the "post-ban" rifles--they wrote the language which provided the loophole necessary in the 1994 law (AWB) to allow post-ban rifles to be built/sold.  It was from this the NRA-bashers get the "they are a gun-control organization and have written anti-gun laws" BS.  GOA is the size of a gnat booger in the ocean--and has NO effect on politicians.  The NRA is not perfect, but they are the best we have and are a true force in Washington, and most states.  As NRA members, we are a part of the single most powerful (read:  numbers and money) lobbying group there is--up there with AARP and the teacher's unions.  The NRA is WELL worth joining as a life member.  I have been for ten years or so--Clinton scared me into it.  

Thanks beekeeper1.  It's for feedback like this that I voted for you as top mod.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
For the youth-life membership, do you have to pay off the extra at age 18?

No - it simply becomes a standard Life Membership.  An excellent value for your "little one" IMHO.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Thanks beekeeper1.  It's for feedback like this that I voted for you as top mod.  pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage06/5.gif

Brown-noser!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm not sure they're still doing it but you might want to check into the Legacy Points program. I did it a few months ago and was able to upgrade to a Life membership for something like $270. There was a good thread about it a month or so ago in the GD.  Or you can probably call NRA membership services and ask them about it.

The basic deal was you got points for renewing your annual membership or signing up for a new one plus that money was credited to your life membership if you did it within 90 days. You get more points for donating a few bucks to the NRA-ILA or one of their associations, a bunch for applying the the NRA Visa card and a bunch more the first time you used it. Doing these things gave you enough points to upgrade to a life membership for $235 + the $35 you already paid for the annual. Don't hold me to the exact details but it went something like that. If you can do a search in the GD you may be able to find the thread with more details. It's a great deal.

Dave

LINK  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Its not so cheap to get the Life Membership now through the Legacy Points program.

The current point-earners:
Make a contribution to the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, NRA Political Victory Fund, or NRA Communication Strike Force 1 LEGACY POINT PER $1 YOU CONTRIBUTE
Apply for the NRA Freedom Card credit card program 150 Legacy Points
Additional Legacy points with your first NRA credit card purchase 150 Legacy Points
Apply for an NRA cellular phone 150 Legacy Points
Apply for any of our NRA-endorsed, money-saving insurance programs Life Health and Accident Individual Property and Liability  150 Legacy Points

You need 600 points plus $275 to get a Life Membership.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top