Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:28:10 AM EDT
Link
LOS ANGELES  — Michael Moore (search) says he won't submit "Fahrenheit 9/11" (search) for consideration as best documentary at this year's Academy Awards (search). Instead, he's going for the bigger prize of best picture.

Moore's critically acclaimed film slams President Bush's (search) War on Terror as ill-advised and corrupt. The movie has cheered Democrats but enraged the president's supporters, who booed Moore when he visited the Republican National Convention last week.

"For me the real Oscar would be Bush's defeat on Nov. 2," Moore told The Associated Press during a phone interview Monday from New York.

The $6 million film has become a sensation that collected $117.3 million in the United States this summer, despite an early roadblock when the Walt Disney Co. banned its Miramax Films division from distributing the political hot-potato.

In the midst of the presidential campaign, Moore's announcement is a strategic move for his Oscar campaign. Documentaries and animated films have their own categories, but the conventional wisdom in Hollywood is that those niche awards can limit a film's appeal in the overall best picture class.

Moore said he and his producing partner, Harvey Weinstein, agreed "Fahrenheit 9/11" would stand a better chance if they focused solely on the top Oscar.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Since it is a work of fiction loved by the voting members of the Hollywood elite,  Fahrenheit 911 would be properly categorized this way.

Word in advance.  Do NOT be surprised if it wins.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
So what?

Academy Award® nominations will be announced at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 25, 2005, at the Academy. The 77th Annual Academy Awards Presentation will be telecast live from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland by the ABC Television Network at 5 p.m. PST, Sunday, February 27, 2005, beginning with a half-hour arrivals segment.  (from oscars.org)

So even the nomination announcement won't be until after the President takes office.

Irrelevant no matter who wins.  Any of it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Someones ego is running away on them.
Then again,a s was pointed out, it really is a fictional story and rightly shouldn't be inthe documentary category.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Like I could give a shit about "Hollywood Awards"

It's just another "look at me...I am pretty" type ego stroker for people who are so far removed from reality, they live their  lives based on fictional movies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Like I could give a shit about "Hollywood Awards"

It's just another "look at me...I am pretty" type ego stroker for people who are so far removed from reality, they live their  lives based on fictional movies.

I couldnt agree more, just pointing out the fact the it was whaled about by the left as adocumentrary, not a fictional film.

What a joke.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
"The Passion"  will kil it and make MM burn in hell.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Egomaniac
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"The Passion"  will kil it and make MM burn in hell.

Sgatr15

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Egomaniac

Megalomaniac.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
He just wants publicity.  And as you can see it's working...even here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
That's because it isn't a documentary.  If they want to call this a documentary then I guess I could make a film about Kerry's killing inocent kids and committing war crimes and call it a documentary.....oh, oops!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top