Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 9:35:30 PM EDT
September 03, 2004

SEAL charged with meth possession

Navy Times staff

A Navy SEAL has been arrested and charged with possession and intent to distribute methamphetamine.

Chief Aviation Boatswain’s Mate, Launching and Recovery Equipment (SEAL) John Franklin Holcombe, 35, was arrested Aug. 24 in Somerset, Va., after he was seen behaving suspiciously.

According to Orange County Sheriff C.G. Feldman, Holcombe was spotted on the porch swing at Somerset Plantation, a local farm.

Feldman said Holcombe possessed nearly two grams of methamphetamine and was carrying $20,466 in cash.

The 17-year Navy veteran, who is attached to the Naval Special Warfare Development Group at Naval Air Station Oceana, Dam Neck Annex, in Virginia Beach, Va., had been wanted by the Navy for a week after failing to report for work, Feldman said.

Feldman said it appeared that Holcombe was “messed up” on drugs when he was arrested, but that he cooperated fully.

The sheriff also said it appeared that Holcombe had no apparent ties to anyone in Orange County.

Holcombe was turned over to the Navy the next day, and the drug charges will be handled by federal authorities.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-337129.php
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure but a Navy SEAL on meth can't be a good thing...

Anyway, theres more info on a earlier thread if you want to go looking for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't search.
Didn't see it 4 pages back.
I have posted about a different set of SEALs getting busted.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
How else do you expect him to stay awake and alert for such long periods of time?  Amphetamines will help someone stay up and aware of his surroundings, as long as its not abused, theres nothing wrong with it.

[flame suit on]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
SAD
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
USAF pilots call them "go pills."
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How else do you expect him to stay awake and alert for such long periods of time?  Amphetamines will help someone stay up and aware of his surroundings, as long as its not abused, theres nothing wrong with it.

[flame suit on]

Uh, no shit. Unfortunately, the kicker is that most people can't do meth without eventually abusing it (getting hooked). Here is a perfect example.....One of the most dedicated, disciplined members of a SEAL team is apparently hooked and suffering from the results.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a huge shocker, After all I am sure we supply troops with some good shit.
Lots of jumpy nerves and so on when getting shot at.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[flame suit on]

Uh, no shit. Unfortunately, the kicker is that most people can't do meth without eventually abusing it (getting hooked). Here is a perfect example.....One of the most dedicated, disciplined members of a SEAL team is apparently hooked and suffering from the results.

Some people can form an addiction to methamphetamine, but due to its positive characteristics, as long as the extreme paranoia doesn't kick in, I have no problem with folks using it.  As for a dedicated, disciplined member of a SEAL team geeting hooked on it, that doesn't mean anything.  Drugs are different strokes for different folks.  One of my friends used to be high honors, extremely disciplined and was going somewhere till he got hooked on H.  I on the other hand have always been the out of control type who everyone thought would be dead by 18, but I've tried it all and walked away addiction free.  Drugs are like booze, use responsibly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]
So we got this guy, four charged in the prisoner abuse scandal, and eight or nine more busted for drugs in the Phillipines. We are gonna run out of SEALs!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#11]
2-Grams is practically nothing.  Meth is typically sold in one gram bindles, for $20 - $60 a gram.  You would have a hell of a time getting a "sales" conviction for only two grams. Two OUNCES on the other hand is a sales caper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:40:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Goes to show drug additcition can get anyone even our strongest. Its a bad mother.

The man needs help 'kickin his monkey' and not criminal prosecution. Rehab and 'family' -not prison and isolation
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Goes to show drug additcition can get anyone even our strongest. Its a bad mother.

The man needs help 'kickin his monkey' and not criminal prosecution. Rehab and 'family' -not prison and isolation

There are plenty of recreational, weekend/party, users of speed. I know plenty of roofers and framers who use it only for work, to get through 14-16 hour days during the busy season. But never use it at home or on their days off.

If this SEAL was an addict he would not have been holding cash and 2-grams.  You rarely find addicts holding becuase they are ADDICTS, and smoke all they can get the minute they get it.  

Drugs should be legal. However as long as it is illegal people should be given the sentence spelled  in their states law. 90-days in jail is a better more effective Rehab then the majority of 12 step programs or halfway houses.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Big deal...... not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Chief Aviation Boatswain’s Mate, Launching and Recovery Equipment (SEAL) John Franklin Holcombe, 35, was arrested Aug. 24 in Somerset, Va., after he was seen behaving suspiciously.

According to Orange County Sheriff C.G. Feldman, Holcombe was spotted on the porch swing at Somerset Plantation, a local farm.

Feldman said Holcombe possessed nearly two grams of methamphetamine and was carrying $20,466 in cash.

The 17-year Navy veteran, who is attached to the Naval Special Warfare Development Group at Naval Air Station Oceana, Dam Neck Annex, in Virginia Beach, Va., had been wanted by the Navy for a week after failing to report for work, Feldman said.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-337129.php

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]

How else do you expect him to stay awake and alert for such long periods of time? Amphetamines will help someone stay up and aware of his surroundings, as long as its not abused, theres nothing wrong with it.

OK - everyone, DEA agents on the board included -  Meth is made in homebrew labs, bath tubs etc.

Pharmaceutical amphetamine (Aderol) - is given to people who have A.D.D. (attention defecit disorder) - I'm sure military people on this board are familliar with go-pills, which to my understanding contain amphetamines.

Meth, is snorted, injected, smoked - whole different ballgame. It is sad, but meth is  hardcore drug, if he was taking aderol pills or go-pills, that would be a different story. 2 grams of Meth is enough to kill several people, its alot. Its not like Cocaine, it is extremely concentrated speed, that is not a personal supply unless the guy is a serious tweaker "meth addict".  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How else do you expect him to stay awake and alert for such long periods of time? Amphetamines will help someone stay up and aware of his surroundings, as long as its not abused, theres nothing wrong with it.

OK - everyone, DEA agents on the board included -  Meth is made in homebrew labs, bath tubs etc.

Pharmaceutical amphetamine (Aderol) - is given to people who have A.D.D. (attention defecit disorder) - I'm sure military people on this board are familliar with go-pills, which to my understanding contain amphetamines.

Meth, is snorted, injected, smoked - whole different ballgame. It is sad, but meth is  hardcore drug, if he was taking aderol pills or go-pills, that would be a different story. 2 grams of Meth is enough to kill several people, its alot. Its not like Cocaine, it is extremely concentrated speed, that is not a personal supply unless the guy is a serious tweaker "meth addict".  

Speed and adderall are nearly the same thing, they have the same effects and can both be snorted, eaten or taken intravenously.  The reason meth is more commonly used by criminals is because its a whole lot easier and cheaper to cook up an ounce of speed than it is to hire 50 kids to get adderall or dexadrine scripts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Speed and adderall are nearly the same thing, they have the same effects and can both be snorted, eaten or taken intravenously. The reason meth is more commonly used by criminals is because its a whole lot easier and cheaper to cook up an ounce of speed than it is to hire 50 kids to get adderall or dexadrine scripts.

Yes- theoretically correct - but Adderal is pharmacutical, it is weighed and measured, and controlled. Meth and adderal are not nearly the same, the common denominator here is they both contain amphetamines. If you happen to buy meth on the street, it was made in someones basement, trailer, etc. -

Meth, as would be bought by a tweaker - does not have a label, there are bad batches, grades.
Aderoal is pure amphetamine salt. Now , it is obvious the seal wasnt a cook (trailer park chemist who produce meth), but I was trying to put across the fact that 2 g's of glass or crank is not recreational/personal use ammounts - and if it was his "stash" - 2 grams of meth would have him tweaked for weeks.

To expand a bit on adderal -meth comparrisons, if used as directed, it does not have the same effects as mainling or snorting a bag of glass. As with any chemical, it can be ingested in several different ways.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont see too much news about DEVGRU unless it's bad, same thing with the "nonexistant" army CT unit.  An isolated incident such as this shouldnt reflect on all SOCOM troops.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#20]
AB is not a source rate for SPECWAR.  This does not ring true.  Rebel
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy cow some of you guys sure have double standards.
So whats the difference between a Seal on meth and a housewife on meth?
Not a thing other than they are both dopers
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No double standards here, I think speed should be legalized since it can be very beneficial to the user (lord knows it would cure Americas obesity problem) and maybe even the economy, as opposed to other drugs which serve no other purpose then getting you fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
USAF pilots call them "go pills."

Big diff betwheen pharmacutical amphetemines and Crystal Meth...

Meth does alot of bad stuff to you, I would not want someone using it to 'stay awake' over a proper pharmacutical product...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
What a fucking idiot!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, DEVGRU guys all fucked up on Meth makes me feel safe
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
2 grams of Meth is enough to kill several people, its alot.

Actually it's not. It's two grams...the amount of sugar substitute you would find in two packages of sweet & low.  a typical tweeker will put about 1/4 gram of meth in his pipe, hit the pipe a couple times. then put it away. much of the meth will still be in the pipe, and he can hit it two or three more times during the day before he has to reload it. So for a typical tweeker, two grams is maybe a weekend supply. Like buying a 12 pack of beer.

I arrest drug dealersand bank robers for a living.  Our DA wont even consider a sales case for meth unless it's at least 1/4 ounce (about 7 Grams).  Anything under a full ounce is a very weak sales case.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No double standards here, I think speed should be legalized...

So do I.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top