Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:39:32 AM EDT
So this happens on a regular basis. Anytime I have a dream where I have to use one of my firearms it doesn't work. I usually dream about my bedside gun, a Glock 27. Well last night I had a dream that someone was breaking in to my car.

I went out to investigate and read a message that was written on the rear hatch window. Something to the effect of I have tried to get in your car before but your alarm works too well, now I'm coming for you. So I go in the house, grab my Glock 27 and surefire M3 then go back outside by my car. As I rack the slide to chamber a round the slide won’t go into battery all the way, I have to screw with it to work. Two baddies come out of the bushes, I take aim and fire. First round goes about 10 feet then hits the ground, and I get a FTE as well. Re-rack fire again, another FTE. The bad guy grabs me, I put the gun to his head and pull the trigger. It worked, it sufficiently removed most of his brain form his skull.

What the hell is up with the gun not working? I have similar results in other dreams with the same gun. I have only seen my Glock 27 fail to eject ONCE. And that was in the hands of an inexperienced shooter who limp wristed the hell out of it. Am I nuts? Are there some underlying emotions at work here?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Firearm=penis.

Doc SGtar15 MD, Phd, DMF
That will be .05 cents please
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in your boat. I usually don't have a gun migrate from reality to dreams until it fails on me, and then it's there solid. I only have one gun I don't dream about, my mossberg 590 - it's never failed in any way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
My guns never work in my dreams either.  It's like their safeties are permanently on...I can't pull the trigger hard enough.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
thats a common type of dream... not necessarily with guns but in general. I've had the same type of dream, but not with guns. I would be fighting someone and my punches would land full force but have no effect.

I heard what those types ofdreams mean, but I forgot
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm amazed there hasn't been a Glock bashing yet!
Perhaps it's just your fear of getting into the shit and when you need it your carry gun goes poo poo.  Try this.  Get a New York reload (2nd pistol) and keep it in another place near your bad.  Se if knowing you got a backup fixes your dreams???
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine (sometimes ones I actually have, sometimes ones that I don't, sometimes ones that don't exist) have always worked. The problem? The don't kill the bad guy. In one dream, I emptied about forty rounds into one guy, and he still didn't go down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Just get a AK, Your dreams will turn into a blood bath.
The cool thing is your semi auto AK turns into select fire during a dream!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn and I'm always bumpfiring in my dreams. hm.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine (sometimes ones I actually have, sometimes ones that I don't, sometimes ones that don't exist) have always worked. The problem? The don't kill the bad guy. In one dream, I emptied about forty rounds into one guy, and he still didn't go down.

yea same type of thing. I've also had dreams where I'm fighting using a knife and the knife doesnt cut. Or a stick or club and it doesnt hurt the BG.

These dreams are about as common as the ones where you go to school or work with no clothes or no shoes
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had dreams where I have a fully functional gun but no ammo.  And I'm running around town desperately in my car trying to find ammo for it, and the guys at the ammo counter keep saying "we don't have that caliber here, your gun only uses METRIC ammuntion sir..."

I don't think you have to get into cheap sexual innuendo to figure it out.  This dream is about insecurity in general, and part of insecurity is the fear that the things you depend on to keep you secure will not work.  IMHO it has nothing to do with your gun or your dick, its the same thing as a dream where your brakes don't work in your car.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn and I'm always bumpfiring in my dreams. hm.

Better than a ND.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've had dreams where I have a fully functional gun but no ammo.  And I'm running around town desperately in my car trying to find ammo for it, and the guys at the ammo counter keep saying "we don't have that caliber here, your gun only uses METRIC ammuntion sir..."

simple solution....

get a .45
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
People are going to make juvenille Freudian remarks about guns and your penis.  They dont know what they're talking about.  This is why guns dont work:

Machines dont work properly in your dreams.  I used to pay attention to dreams, record them, and try to realize I was dreaming within the dream.  The number one clue was that machines or electronic devices wouldn't work properly.  Guns are machines too.  That's why guns don't work in your dreams.

There's no underlying subconscious message.  It's just an aspect or a rule of the dream world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

These dreams are about as common as the ones where you go to school or work with no clothes or no shoes

We really had a guy show up at work one morning in his stocking feet!

His nickname was  "Sleepy" from that day on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
People are going to make juvenille Freudian remarks about guns and your penis.  They dont know what they're talking about.  This is why guns dont work:

Machines dont work properly in your dreams.  I used to pay attention to dreams, record them, and try to realize I was dreaming within the dream.  The number one clue was that machines or electronic devices wouldn't work properly.  Guns are machines too.  That's why guns don't work in your dreams.

There's no underlying subconscious message.  It's just an aspect of the dream world: machines dont work properly.

i disagree.

what about knives, clubs or physical attacks not working in dreams?

what about the dreams where you forget your clothes or shoes?

I think they all have to do with being uneasy about something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
you mean it didn't explode?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no underlying subconscious message.  It's just an aspect of the dream world: machines dont work properly.

i disagree.

Are those machines?  No.  I've had dreams where I stabbed a man who kept following me around, the knife worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i disagree.

Are those machines?  No.  I've had dreams where I stabbed a man who kept following me around, the knife worked fine.

yea, I know they're not machines. Thats the point. I've had dreams where knives, clubs and physical attacks have not worked properly... like the knife connected but didn't cut.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i disagree.

yea, I know they're not machines. Thats the point. I've had dreams where knives, clubs and physical attacks have not worked properly... like the knife connected but didn't cut.

Oh.  I've had no such problems.  But it's not just guns and weapons.  Cars, toasters, what have you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I have had a couple of dreams where I've been trying to defend my house against some...err...people (a demographic of dysfunctional individuals whose brains are no longer biologically living but are still walking around causing havoc*) and my AR keeps messing up.  The first three rounds out of my 30 round mag fall short, even though the tangos are 10 yards away.  Then it starts to short stroke and FTFing, and the taper pins of the FSB fall out.  So here I am holding the AR by the pistol grip and the FSB like a VFG, trying to shoot the tangos  Is this normal?  

*and no, the dysfunctional individuals are not Dems...they are of the undead persuation, starting with a z and rhyming with -ombie
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude, I have the same dreams.

Either, I am shooting and it has absolutely no effect, like I'm shooting blanks, or the gun doesn't work.

Just the other day I dreamt that someone broke into my house, and I racked the slide on my shotgun but it wouldn't chamber a round from the tube.  I tried a few more times then grabbed my AR, and each time I pulled the charging handle back three rounds would pop out of the magazine.  I finally got a round chambered and then realized the upper and lower receivers were barely held together and were about to fall apart.

Two nights ago I had a dream that I heard something in the house, so I grabbed my pistol and waited, listening.  Then, this little man came running into the room at top speed, even left a long trail of "blurr" behind him.  At that point I couldn't move, I tried and tried to point the gun but it was like I was paralyzed.  Then I woke up with a jump and my wife said I was laying there breathing really hard and fast for a bit before I jolted awake.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]
You're GAY
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
 It's beacuse you never have a maintainence dream. You are going to have to have a dream where you clean and lube your weapons before they will function in dreamland.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]

I have the same "problem" in my dreams too, during my military service i shot  a lot with the FN MAG58 (US M240) so it shoved up a couple of times in my dreams.
But when i used it against the bad guys it was way too weak to do any damage at all after only 5 yards the bullet dropped by itself to the ground.
The most common problem with guns in my dreams is that they are way too underpowered, they cant even penetrate a cardboard box at a very close distance and when i´m out of rounds i often take a knife but then i´m too weak to stab the attacker with it.
I also run very slowly.

/Magnus

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you tried the blue bullets?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#29]
IMHO, you are worried if you got what it takes to pull the trigger in real life or death situation.  So your fears are showing up in your dreams.  When my sidearm shows up in my dreams, it's either the slide doesn't work or my bullets are gone and cheese comes out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a dream where Robert De Niro playing one of his gangster roles
shot me in the gut five times with his revolver. Lucky for me his bullets didn't do
shit in my dreams either.

GM
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Technical difficulties
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm always ready to fight but then my gun turns into an airsoft gun...and I usually have no ammo.

I love trying to run or skate in dreams, lol!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
thats a common type of dream... not necessarily with guns but in general. I've had the same type of dream, but not with guns. I would be fighting someone and my punches would land full force but have no effect.

I heard what those types ofdreams mean, but I forgot

I have that one!  and the gun not working one too.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#35]
My brother has a theory about non-fucntioning firearms in dreams.  Mind you, he is not a mental health professional.

It is simply a reminder for you to get to the range and practice.  I have found that frequent range sessions and training has eliminated my "non functioning firearm" dreams.  Last dream where I had a firearm, it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine work, but always in a zombie dream.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I was suprised to see this thread, I have similar dreams myself!

I took (and passed ) quite a few Psycology courses in college.  So, I have the ability to deduce completely incorrect conclusions on this matter.

My dream(s): In a fight situation.  Go to the gun (type varies and is irrelevant) I line up on the bad guy, pull the trigger, feel recoil, see the impact on the bad guy and he is unaffected.

My understanding: I take this symbolize my cogniscant  pursuit of training.  Constantly going to the range when I can and shooting a couple of hundred rounds from my "goto handgun" each trip.  Reading up on laws, and thinking about SHTF and survival scenarios.

Diagnosis: I have shooting on the brain.  Your dreams will typically reflect what you think about in life, ie. the hot chick cuz you covet your neigbors teenage daughter, brakes not working in your car because you are always worried about your safety and keep up on you maint.  Stuff like that.

However, like I had 3 Phd's tell me when I took my first Psyc lecture class at the University of Wisconsin...

"Everything we say is complete bullshit and cannot be proved or disproved, it's all theory."
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My guns work but they always have like a 90 lb trigger pull that I have to pop a vein in my forhead to get to fire.

+1 its normally a glock toohinking.gifMust be saying something
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]
DT
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My guns work but they always have like a 90 lb trigger pull that I have to pop a vein in my forhead to get to fire.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Man, for a while there, I thought I was alone!

I've been having dreams like this for years, and I'm just barely old enough to legally possess firearms.

Anyway, I get the ones where the gun jams, bullets don't do anything, fails to chamber a round, what used to be a gun is now something else, I punch BG's, but nothing happens, move too slow, etc. The most common, and has been for a long time, is where an inordinate amount of "things" (not people, but not "zombies" either, just evil, spirit-like, pitch-black in color type of things) break into my folks house. I'm always in the house with (just in this particular dream) a perfectly functioning Remmy 1100 20g shotty. But no matter what, these "things" just keep coming. The dream always starts with just a few at first, and before I know it, the place is overrun with them.

I feel that paricular dream has something to do with me being overloaded with stress from too many things. Moving, school (when I was in it. School was hell on earth for me, with maybe 3 out of 12 years being somewhat fun), work, deadlines, debts, responsibilities, etc. I don't get a lot of "fun" time these days. Maybe I need a few days off from life.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#42]
All dreams are a fullfillment of a wish. Your bullets and punches are ineffective because deep down you dont want to hurt or kill anyone.

Simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I had the this type of dream last night. Though it might have been because the bad guys never came through the door, I was sitting on the floor waiting with the saftey off.

Worst gun dream I had is when I was in some wierd castle and guards were chasing me, I ended up in my room and got my rifle out of the closet, started loading the bullets into the mag, but then they started to melt like chocolate. I ended up grabbing a spear from one and fighting that way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#44]
When I first worked for the government, I had this dream all the time. I'd be using a revolver, and pulling the trigger would do nothing, or it would bring the hammer all the way back but the trigger would never break. With a rifle, it would be as another poster described - like the safety was permanently engaged. About a month after I left the gov't, I had a dream in which I used an M1 carbine to shoot a home invader to ribbons, and have never had a "nonworking gun" dream again in over 10 years, even during the year I returned to government work. Just last night, in fact, I put about 800 rounds through a couple of rifles, and (it being a dream) I didn't even have to haul them back into the house!

I concluded that the guns were somehow symbolic of potential or ability; that in that job, I couldn't make full use of the gifts I have. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Firearm malfunction dreams are very unsatisfying. You dream about something that you are interested in or enjoy as a hobby and yet the difficulty with the object of your attention failing to perform to your satisfaction makes you feel cheated. Same with sexual dreams. You enjoy the dream because you are having a sexual experience that should be very exciting however the whole thing is ruined when you wake up just before everything come together so to speak.

It is possible that we feel that we are not worthy of, or not deserving of the rewarding feeling of blowing the brains out of the bad guy or doing the deed with the model babe.

I have had many satisfying dreams in which everything worked acording to plan and have had others where nothing would work out at all. I think it all depends on our state of mind at the time. If everything is going well in our lives, the dreams reflect this, and we have pleasant and satisfying dreams.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My guns never work in my dreams either.  It's like their safeties are permanently on...I can't pull the trigger hard enough.

my reoccurring was basically the same,,I'd find myself butt-stroking to death my attackers,,it was at a time when I did not totally trust the few firearms I had,,so I went out and bought a AKM,,,,worked!  A friend of mine who is also a former Marine,,now a shrink,,called it a Marine dream,
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]

All dreams are a fullfillment of a wish. Your bullets and punches are ineffective because deep down you dont want to hurt or kill anyone.

Simple as that.

+1

Do you have dreams where you just kill people?

MT
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh, I also have dreams where I get shot.  One time I was shot by someone with an AK47 repeatedly in my back, and it HURT too!! I woke up with a terrible muscle cramp in my back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]
A dream where a firearm or weapon fails to work is usually an expression of  concern directed towards the situation.

You spend muich time training to build your confidence and the flipside is that your trained but your not sure what you'd do if things don't go as your preparing yourself to expect... the expression is the dreams.

Mostly its a matter of confidence, and thats not to say its about penis size so much as it is how you feel about your ability to handle sudden stress.

If you have a dream like that it can typically be remedied by increasing your confidence, start playing around with one handed drills, tactical reloads, clearing malfunctions in a hurry as well as shooting from different positions and your dreams should be a good signal how prepared you really feel you are.

It also isnt necessarily about weapons, you could be Carlos Hathcock but if theres something thats eating away at your confidence or causing you to feel inadaquete in your professional or personal life it can manifest in the same way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

whoa, that's the one I have!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top