Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 9:31:21 AM EDT
whats your favorite line from the movie.  Mine is "Your all a bunch of fucking slaves"  

-Edit- Sorry I'm too drunk to remenber the rest  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Jim Morrison RULES!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
From "Back Door Man"

"The men don't know what the little girls understand"

HS1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From "Back Door Man"

"The men don't know what the little girls understand"

HS1

That's Willie Dixon.

"You put your penis inside of this woman, Jim?"

"Sometimes."
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
"The killer woke up before dawn...  he put his boots on."
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry I'm too drunk to remenber the rest  

1:31 in the P.M.? Glad to see you're not wasting any time celebrating Labor Day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
His dad was an admiral in the US Navy.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"The killer woke up before dawn...  he put his boots on."

HE went into his sister's room and then he...........

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
whats your favorite line from the movie.  Mine is "Your all a bunch of fucking slaves"  

-Edit- Sorry I'm too drunk to remenber the rest  

You're ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]
See below.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
See below.  

PeaceFrog is the hands dowsn the best Doors song.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
See below.  

Bloody red sun of fantastic L.A........
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
No love for "Texas Radio and the Big Beat"?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Jim Morrison RULES!!!!

Isn't Ian Astbury the singer for the Doors now?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't know that...

The Doors of the 21st Century - led by founding members RAY MANZAREK and ROBBY KRIEGER plus singer IAN ASTBURY, known for his rich baritone voice in the Cult. The group is rounded out by Angelo Barbera on bass and Ty Dennis on drums.

I wonder why John Densmore is not involved.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jim Morrison RULES!!!!

Isn't Ian Astbury the singer for the Doors now?

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Never mind...

How to Kill a Legacy: The Doors

AUTHOR: Justin Sablich, Communications, SUNY Cortland, USA

"If I learned anything from Jim, it's respect for what we created"- John Densmore (1)

Respect is a word you often hear when discussing great rock bands. The Doors earned it by being groundbreaking and influential: going against the flow of flower pop in the late 60s by creating their own style of dark blues and rock n’ roll. Unfortunately, 1971 came and took away the band’s revered singer and poet, Jim Morrison.

After his death, the lizard king reached legendary status, which often happens when a rock star enters the ether too soon. Whether he’s considered a rock icon or a misguided drunk, most can’t deny that without him, The Doors cease to be. This point seemed to be solidified when the three surviving members made two "Doors" albums after Morrison’s death. Both albums seriously flopped and aren’t even recognized in the band’s official catalogue.

"We didn’t want to give up the musical synchronicity, but we didn’t want to replace Jim," remembers drummer John Densmore.  "I mean, who could fill those leather pants?" (2)

It took him 32 years, but keyboardist Ray Manzarek has finally found someone and it’s 41-year old Ian Astbury from the Goth-rocking Cult.

"I guess I must have tuned in to some of the things he tuned in to, says Astbury. Sometimes I come off stage and feel like I need an exorcism." (3)

"There's that Dionysian type and that's exactly where Ian is; he's certainly not imitating

Jim Morrison but he comes from the same space - there's a touch of the shaman about him," says Manzarek. "He loves Native American spirituality just like Morrison and that whole Eastern Oriental philosophy, Zen and Buddhism - Morrison was into that too." (4)

With the new Morrison in place, Manzarek, now 64-years old and guitarist Robby Krieger, 58, were ready to bring the Doors back to life. The three toured America for much of 2003 calling themselves "The Doors of the 21st Century." They now have plans for a brand new "Doors" album with the help of poets/songwriters Jim Carroll, Michael McClure and the late Warren Zevon.

"We want to say something about the human condition in the twenty-first century, just

like the Doors in the twentieth century said something about the human condition," Manzarek says. "If it doesn't have weight to it, it's not worth doing. That's why we're back together." (5)

A Feast of Friends

Incase you haven’t figured it out yet; Jim Morrison isn’t the only original band member missing from the new band. Drummer John Densmore, who’s been on the outs with Manzarek these last few years, wants no part of it: "It shouldn't be called the Doors if it's someone other than Jim singing." (6)

Densmore has filed three lawsuits against his former mates to prevent them from using the Doors name and logo. He has been somewhat successful, getting Manzarek and Krieger to add "of the 21st Century" to their name, but they continue to use the logo. Densmore’s third lawsuit is still pending.

"I'm sad and hurt that my former band mates are misusing the logo and the name, confusing people," says Densmore. He goes on to say that he wouldn’t mind if they called themselves the "former members of the Doors. It could be Windows, the Hinges, I don't care what it is." (6)

In addition to the former drummer, the parents of Jim Morrison and his late-wife Pamela Courson have thrown in lawsuits of their own. They charge that Manzarek and Krieger have "maliciously misappropriated" the name and logo of the Doors as well as using images of Morrison and his poetry with out permission. (7)

All the above-mentioned people, who are still living, own the rights to the Doors name and logo. Densmore has said that there is an arrangement in place giving members of the band veto power over business decisions.

If that wasn’t enough, the first replacement drummer, Stewart Copeland, is also suing. The ex-drummer for the Police, Copeland claims that there was a breach of contract when Manzarek and Kreiger cut him loose. "In or about February 2003, after exploiting the credibility, talent, and reputation to plaintiff Copeland to launch and generate heat for the tour and album and once the success of the Doors 21st Century was assured, defendants breached the oral contract," (8) so says the suit.

When the Music’s Over

Despite the disapproval of Densmore and the family of Morrison, the show must go on and the reviews are in. A few are good, most are bad, and some are downright creepy.

Steve Morse of The Boston Globe writes: "Sometimes a show jumps up and surpasses expectations. A perfect example was last night's Doors reunion ... Astbury, whose booming vocals have been a staple of the psychedelic hard-rock band the Cult, appeared completely comfortable in the role of Morrison." (9)

While the good ones are hard to find, they can be found on the band’s Website from respectable sources including MoviePoopShoot.com, ElectricBasement.com, and the Las Vegas Mercury.

Most reviews go something like this one from their show at Wembley Arena: "Yet, while, self-evidently, he (Astbury) is not Morrison, now he is not his own man either," writes James McNair of The Independent (London). "He struggled through most of the hits (although no "Hello, I Love You" or "The End"), incapable of summoning the anger and lust for life of a 25-year-old Morrison." (10)

Manzarek continues to defend Astbury: "Ian has that Celtic/Christian thing that Jim had," says Manzarek. "And he has that dark shaman thing. He has that power, man. He’s not imitating Morrison, but he’s coming from the same place." (11)

You’ll also get the occasional disturbing recollection of Ray Manzarek’s stage presence.

McNair: "There is something cringe-worthy about the 65-year-old Manzarek's hippie and free love-speak between songs. ‘Ian tells me you can buy magic mushrooms in stores here!’ he enthuses at one point, while before ‘People Are Strange’, he invites us to ‘play with each other's genitals ever so gently.’" (10)

And what does Jim Morrison think about the new band?

"I'll tell you what, he's smiling," Manzarek says. "He's smiling at the big rock 'n' roll roadhouse in the sky where all the rockers have gone." (5)

Yes, I’m sure he loves every second of it.

Cancel My Subscription to the Resurrection

So with bad press and a pile of lawsuits, why are they doing this?

"It is not about recreating what The Doors were then but about Robby and Ray wanting to play the music for one last hurrah," says Astbury. (3) That’s fair enough. But can’t they do it without using the name?

Manzarek adds: "We've been doing it since 1965; to stop doing it is inconceivable. What . . . were we supposed to do? Die? Die with [Morrison]?" (12) Just for the record, the Doors were a band until 1971 when Morrison died. And if you consider the post-Morrison albums as Doors albums, they haven’t been doing it since 1972.

Manzarek always has something interesting to say. Why else does he feel the need to resurrect the Doors? "For me, its all an avenue to proselytize, to somehow get America to once again consider hallucinogenics and psychedelics," he says. (12) Hmm, right.

And isn’t it strange doing it without Morrison and Densmore? "He's (Astbury) sort of very similar to Morrison in many ways: he's Scottish-English, which Jim was, and he's interested in shamanism and American Indians and all that stuff," says Krieger. (13)

Ok, we get it, Astbury is just like Morrison. He’s a shaman, loves Native Americans, is fond of eastern religions, dresses like him, wears the same type of sunglasses etc … I guess all Paul and Ringo need to do is find a peace lovin’ lad from Liverpool and a guitarist who digs meditation and the Beatles can go on tour.

Manzarek can’t figure out why Densmore won’t tag along: "Unfortunately John's one of the nay sayers: 'do not go back on the road again'; we've invited him many times to play but for some reason or other he's refused... what can I do?" (4)

Turn Out the Lights

Maybe there’s another reason the Doors of perception have been opened again. Maybe there’s a few dollars to be made. Touring bands from the 60s and 70s were a hot ticket last year. Artists like Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, The Who, and The Eagles all out- sold the likes of Britney Spears in 2003. (12) At least these bands still have their front men. The Doors of the 21st Century charge around $70 per ticket.

Ray Manzarek has never been ashamed about using the bands image to cash in. "I believe that as a rock band, as an artist, you should get in bed with industry," he says. "Jim was no dummy. He'd be the first one to say, `Let's get our music on TV.'" (12)

John Densmore remembers Jim a little differently: "Buick proffered $75,000 to use ‘Light My Fire’ to hawk its new hot little offering--the Opel … Ray, Robby and John (that's me) OK'd it, while Jim was out of town. He came back and went nuts …In retrospect, his calling up Buick and saying that if they aired the ad, he'd smash an Opel on television with a sledgehammer was fantastic! I guess that's one of the reasons I miss the guy." (1)

I understand if Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger miss playing the music they helped create. But don’t use the name, don’t use the logo, and don’t bring in an outsider and try to defend why he’s worthy of wearing Morrison’s leathers.

Instead of remembering the Doors as the great band that they were, images of a 64-year-old keyboardist, unwilling to let go of the 60s, ranting about free love and psychedelics, will come to mind. Not to mention a lead singer who shamelessly attempts to fill a role that was never meant to be filled.

When asked how playing with Astbury is different from Morrison, Krieger says: "Well, we don’t have to worry about Ian showing up [laughs]. But, in a way, that was what the Doors was all about, and being on the edge of disaster shaped the way we played."

Some things never change.

www.neo-vox.org/revue/revue_30/revue_30.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]

No way.

It's Whiskey Bar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anybody have
the real player or Windows Media player full version
of "The End"?

It'd be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Five to one, baby, one in five,
No one here gets out alive........

I also really like Jim Morrison's version of "Gloria," and not that shitty version from the Hollywood Bowl where he was drunk, either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I read some where that Ray Manzarek has a thing for little asian boys .
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I read some where that Ray Manzarek has a thing for little asian boys .

If he does, I don't care. Most entertainers aren't the kinds of people with whom I'd associate. I like Manzarek for his participation in the Doors and couldn't care less what else goes on in his LSD-ravaged brain.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer

Well I woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer

The futures uncertain, and the end is always near.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top