Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:18:11 PM EDT
Over at DU, there is a thread on the AWB and how everyone will convert their ar15's to full auto once the ban expires.  I have read how it is next to impossible to convert to full auto just because of the differences between an m16 receiver and an ar15 receiver but I don't remember what the differences are.  Any help with this arguement would be appreciated.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x82705#83469
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Save your breath.

The AWB changes NOTHING about converting AR's to full-auto. It will be no easier or harder, and no less a felony.

Quit trying to teach pigs to sing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it changes nothing but I'm just trying to have some fun over there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
All you need to convert a rifle to full auto is a pistol grip.  And a flash supressor.  If you add a bayonet lug it turns into a high-powered sniper rifle.  My friend who wears camo told me this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All you need to convert a rifle to full auto is a pistol grip.  And a flash supressor.  If you add a bayonet lug it turns into a high-powered sniper rifle.  My friend who wears camo told me this.

Damnit... just spit mah gatorade again.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

HeHe
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If your rifle is configured like that it is much easier to convert to full auto...

slackmaster  (1000+ posts)      Wed Sep-01-04 02:43 PM
Response to Reply #19

22. Anything can be converted to fire full-auto

The definition of "ease" of such a task is relative to the skill of the person making the assessment.

Any time someone brings up the possibility of full-auto conversions being an issue after the expiration of the AWB there's always an elephant in the room - Nobody has ever tried to explain how, for example, a pre-ban AR-15 is easier to convert to fully automatic than a post-ban AR-15. How the expiration of the ban will make available something that hasn't been available since the day the ban took effect.

In all of the GITN threads there has been only one story posted AFAIK about semiautomatic firearms being converted to fully automatic. That was a crooked machinist working for the Mexican mob here in San Diego County.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
arowneragain is right on this one.  Don't get sucked into their lying bullshit.

If you must, point out that the AWB doesn't have jack shit to do with C3.  Don't let them for one second keep making that connection.

The AWB is about castrated mags, flash hiders, bayonet lugs and adjustable stocks.  NOTHING MORE
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know it changes nothing but I'm just trying to have some fun over there.

It takes either:

1) A 'Drop In Auto Sear' and the bolt & trigger parts from a real M16

2) A 'Lightning Link' and a Colt SP-1 bolt/carrrier assembly

-or-

3) A properly drilled out & widened reciever.

All of these item are PRESENTLY LEGAL if the item in question was registered under the NFA prior to 1986 and available for prices between $8,000-11,000, plus $200 NFA tax.

The AWB does not affect machineguns, machineguns are legal now if you pay the tax, and will be legal after the ban dies if you pay the stupid MG tax...

Oh yeah, the proces by which you pay the tax is harder/longer than finding the gun you want...

Some COLT guns have 'sear blocks' and other modifications to prevent conversion, and some bolt carriers have the area under the firing pin milled out, and the back end lightened...

But most AR-15s can be converted to full auto by the installation of M-16 parts and a DIAS or the installation of a 'Lightning Link' and a Colt SP-1 bolt carrier. Of course, if either of those items isn't properly registered before May 1986, you've got a 10yr felony on your hands...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
In Washington DC, by law, if you have a semi-automatic weapon that has more than 12 rounds in the magazine, that firearm is declared a machine gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top