Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 6:04:15 PM EDT
Check out this rendition of a Mozart piece by a buddy of mine (2 MB download): WOLFIE.mp3

Back in the day, I had big dreams of becoming a rock star. Mostly because I was playing in a band with this guy. I felt strong enough about it to forego the military (which I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to do). Oh well...

Curious to hear what some of the guitarists on the site think about this.

Edited to add poll.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Put up some of his original stuff.. Mozart and Bach were not written for the electric twanger.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. Pretty harsh. Did you actually listen, or just respond off the cuff?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
home.wi.rr.com/davef/attachment.jpg

Classic, Red_Beard.  Simply classic!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow, that's cool
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

found it on another forum, I about shat myself laughing
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

found it on another forum, I about shat myself laughing

A strange thing is I like Yngwie enough to have recently purchased a concert DVD of his.  I enjoy his skills while enjoying the fact that he is often a rediculous parody.  He's entertaining on 2 levels - like a talented version of Spinal Tap.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow. Pretty harsh. Did you actually listen, or just respond off the cuff?

Who, me or Red_Beard?

I listened to it until the fret noise got bad (which was early)

Mozart and Bach, as other great classical composers, are played by a symphony for a reason.
You need different instruments to reflect to mood and movement of the peice. An electric guitar just can't do it.

Yngwie Malmsteen, while fast, had no warmth to his crap.

THe electric twanger reference was a reference to Twisted Sister's 'We're Not Gonna Take It'  video...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]
BTT for morning crew.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Got through what I could (download stream stopped 1/3 the way through).

Classical music written for orchestra should be played that way.

If you like guitar playing, and want classical, listen to someone [trained] play Pagannini.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Your friend isn't bad, but a dime a dozen.
Everybody who was gigging in a metal band back in the '80s was noodling out some kind of "neo-classical" piece, I was waiting for all the string skipping sweeps...........
Not trying to be harsh, but it used to be you couldn't spit without hitting a guitarist. It's drummers who could keep consistant time that was hard to find.
Anyway, your friend is ok and has a good Malmscake tone. I'm not much for the over-brite trebbly strat singlecoil tone, but everyone is different.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Not too shabby...tempo needs a little work, and some pinch harmonics would have been nice.  Overall, I'd give him a B-  

Not a fan of that type of sound for a classical piece, as it's been done way too many times.  Hearing that played on a real classical guitary would be pretty good.  He's got decent fingers, but I bet he doesn't get out of the house too much.  The true test of a guitarist is in hearing his original pieces.  That's when you can truly judge talent.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
1982 just called, they want your buddy back...

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Good skill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

www.hateyourdaddy.com/whitesnake.jpg

Laugh all you want, YOU didn't get to stick it in Tawny Kitaen's pooper.  The guy in the middle with all the hair did.  Now who's the loser?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Not too bad, though he should look to this guy for inspiration...

Mozart - Rondo ala Turk on Guitar
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
cool,
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mozart - Blue Rondo on Guitar

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Got through what I could (download stream stopped 1/3 the way through).

Classical music written for orchestra should be played that way.

If you like guitar playing, and want classical, listen to someone [trained] play Pagannini.

JMHO.

It's a good thing that there are no RULES in music. I studied classical guitar under Christopher Parkening. I have GREAT respect for traditional classical music and instruments. I have Elliot Fisk's "Paganini: 24 Caprices CD" and it's fantastic.

However... to address an earlier post, was it Count Basie who originally said "if it sounds good, it is good" -- also repeated by Edward Van Halen. Anyone who can listen to some of Yngwie's earlier work (especially his breakout solo CD) and think that it's not good and lacks tone/soul just isn't being objective. Yngwie is more than just technique. Admittedly, he lets technique completely overshadow feel the majority of the time. But don't discount him. If anyone thinks he worthless as a guitar player AND musician,  then I ask that you go ahead and send me one of your CD's so my ears can tell me if your opinion is an educated/experienced one, or just the subjective opinion of someone who doesn't like the particular artist or style.

P.S. I voted "Good Chops". I didn't hear the speed in there, but that tune doesn't have a lot of speed in it. Paganini or Bach would have been a better indicator of this player's technical facilities. His tone was a bit thin (80's tone) too. But not a bad player. Nothing really grabbed me technically or in terms of depth/soul, but a decent player who is must be said probably has 10X the chops of most of today's players. I play pro in a classic rock/country band and have a LOT of college kids coming to see the lame stuff we play because they actually like the way I shred for them (one hot chick calls it "melting her face"). Technique ain't a bad thing. Especially when it's combined with feel (RIP SRV).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Mozart - Rondo ala Turk on Guitar

That's good stuff. The guy obviously has command of the instrument. What I find lacking in players who tap only (like Stanley Jordan) is feel. Part of what makes the guitar what it is, is the aggressive/percussive atack that it has from plucking or picking the strings. At low volume, tappers like this sound almost keyboardish. Impressive, but not my cup of tea. I prefer DYNAMICS and a wide vibrato in my playing tastes. That's why I do like Yngwie.

P.S. I scallop my fretboards like Yngwie does and have found over the years that I have a lot more string control that way, for better bends and vibrato.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
P.S. I scallop my fretboards like Yngwie does and have found over the years that I have a lot more string control that way, for better bends and vibrato.

I never could get used to the way a scalloped fretbrd felt. An egg slicer always entered my mind. LOL!
I like jumbo frets and a good low action setup.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hateyourdaddy.com/whitesnake.jpg

Laugh all you want, YOU didn't get to stick it in Tawny Kitaen's pooper.  The guy in the middle with all the hair did.  Now who's the loser?

Maybe I did?  Actually No amount of sex with her is worth it.  She took Coverdale to the cleaners.  He is wrecked from her.  She is a very abusive woman.  And not in a good way.  He had to get threapy for the spousal abuse and mental anguish from losing everything he worked for to her.  No 3 lock box is worth that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol. Back in the day, girls like Tawny were throwing themselves at us. Thanks for all the feedback, pos and neg.

That Yngwie shit was funny too RedBeard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Please advise your friend to use a thicker plectum.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
The guy is pretty good...technically, but the playing sounds way too mechanical...no feeling at all. It's tough to know what the tone would be like live, but through that recording, there is just no heart in it at all. Skill-wise, I am impressed...he played a relatively difficult piece pretty well...but its too monotonous.

I cant criticize because I probably cant play it much better than that myself, but it just seemed thin...no other way to say it.

As far as YJM....he is a phenomenal musician, just not much of an artist. He has amazing technical ability...but being able to blaze through a harmonic minor scale doesnt impress me as much as say what a Stevie Ray V. put together in his music (and im not even really a blues fan - just know talent when i hear it)

I said decent, but some room for improvement
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
YOU didn't get to stick it in Tawny Kitaen's pooper.  The guy in the middle with all the hair did.  Now who's the loser?

Tawny Kitaen, apparently...

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice.

For this type of Neo-Classical, it sounds in line with Vinny moore(Aprile Sky) and some Paul Gilbert's(Cacophony) stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The guy is pretty good...technically, but the playing sounds way too mechanical...no feeling at all. It's tough to know what the tone would be like live, but through that recording, there is just no heart in it at all. Skill-wise, I am impressed...he played a relatively difficult piece pretty well...but its too monotonous.

I cant criticize because I probably cant play it much better than that myself, but it just seemed thin...no other way to say it.

As far as YJM....he is a phenomenal musician, just not much of an artist. He has amazing technical ability...but being able to blaze through a harmonic minor scale doesnt impress me as much as say what a Stevie Ray V. put together in his music (and im not even really a blues fan - just know talent when i hear it)

I said decent, but some room for improvement

+1

SRV was the MAN!!!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
and some Paul Gilbert's(Cacophony) stuff.

Cacophony was Marty Friedman and Jason Becker. Gilbert was Racer X.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Speaking of SRV, (was he ever better than on Couldn't Stand the Weather?) DirecTV is playing his concert from Montreaux in 1985 all weekend as a Freeview event. I just caught the last half of it and remembered just how amazing he was.

Hi is, and will always be, missed. . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top