Jimmy Hendrix-overrated

Thus that is bullshit.  
Mute that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you get this at ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Andres Segovia was the master. All the others are media-spun amateurs....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thus it is written and immutable:
Jimmy Hendrix-overrated

Thus that is bullshit.  
Mute that.

+1   don't you have anything better to do

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Zakk Wylde is amazing.  And Les Paul was a big part of my Senior Paper about the development of the electric guitar.

The only thing I don't like about Santana is all of his stuff is in Dm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jimmy Hendrix-overrated
Carlos Santana-overrated,sloppy

WTF? WTF? Do you have any idea how many records these folks have sold and are still selling to this very day (not many since kazaa came along....lol). These guys were Rock pioneers man. They defined the music you listen to today in some way or form. Check yoself fool.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Jimi Hendrix was a pioneer of modern lead guitar along with Alvin Lee.  He is not overated.  His music was not real technical, but it was in a league all its own.

I agree about Knopfler and SRV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to like Santana back in the late 60's, but always wished he played more clean and crisp.
And yes, Andres Segovia is the master.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jimmy Hendrix-overrated
Carlos Santana-overrated,sloppy

Mark Knopfler,George Harrison, Glen Frey, Don Felder,Zack Wylde (who?) - Rock
Clapton, Stevie Ray- kick major ass and rock
Les Paul-Godfather and pioneer of electric guitar . Wonder if the youngsters
of today even know of him?

Make of this as you will.

Carlos Santana is over rated, he's a guitarist a good one but not great, none of his popular songs that I can think of were fully written by himself.

Hendirx, was and still is one of the most innovative guitarists of all time, albit a little sloppy live and so rough on the guitar that it had a hard time staying in tune, a true inspirational guitarist

Knopfler, Harrison, Frey, Felder, Wylde all good guitarts, not fully the stuff of greatness when talking about their guitar playing,

Clapton & SRV among the likes of Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Lightning Hopkins, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Van Halen (i don't like him, but he is a phenomenal guitar player) Steve Via, Joe Satriani, etc.

and no, Despite Les Paul having his name on the guitar, he did not invent it, He built and used what he called "The Log" a basically acoustic quitar with a solid section in the middle with a very crude electric guitar, and with only so/so guitar ability, more akin to bluegrass than anything, (and I'm 23 by the way) he just happened to be an extremely well known guitarist of his day whom Gibson Guitars descided to name their guitar after

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Clapton, while a great player, is severely overrated.

And he'd probably agree with me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I am an even worse guitarist, by orders of magnitude, than I am a rifle shot, I feel uniquely qualified to express my opinion regarding guitarists.
But first let me put in a plug for any guitarists like myself who never give up trying to learn and won't admit a fundemental lack of talent... find "guitar alchemist free" with google, and if you want to know about scales, chords and such, it's worth the price  -- free.
Keeping in mind that there probably isn't any best guitarist just as there is no best AR15. It's just my opinion, what I like.
So...
Technically, Jimi Hendrix, C. santana, Clapton, and SRV are all in the same class. I still like Knopfler best of all because he never forgets that he's also carrying a melody on the guitar as well as vocally.
But Jimi had it all. I mean, on his songs what is the hook you remember? It's the guitar, lots of times. He was a musician and a technical genius. Plus he wrote great songs. Only stevie Ray comes close. I'm just not that much of a blues fan, sorry.
I have Mr. Paul's name accross the top of my authentic replica of a Japanese/Mexican Gipson double cutaway. To most poeple these days, he's just that, a name accross the top of a guitar.
After giving the matter some thought, I've decided I agree with most people.
What makes him the godfather, etc.? Why not Jimi, or Clapton? They contributed to the "evolution of the guitar" as much as he did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
David Gilmore - Most under-rated guitarist...
Eddie Van Hallen - Was a pioneer and the best "shred" guitar player at one time...
Jimi Page - My Favorite - Can play any style and rock out...
Trey  Anistasio - The Hendrix of today...
Jerry Garcia - Best Acoustic guitar player - especially when teamed with David Grisman
Allman Brothers Band- Best example of several guitarists playing together (doesn't matter who is playing guitar.)

Any comments?

Edited to add: Tablature is your friend OLGA
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Junior Brown and his Guit Steel are da bomb-diggity.

See him live and you are a fan for life.  headbang.gif
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Still the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Please allow me to retort:

Jimi Hendrix- Most innovative guitarist in the world.  Excellent player (maybe a bit sloppy live) and on of the most musical people ever to pick up a guitar.

Carlos Santana- Good player, not great, but good.

Knopfler, Harrison, Frey, Felder, and Clapton- Rock

SRV- Mastered that one tone.  Not a bad tone, but still just one.

Les Paul- A famous guy that Gibson decided would do a good job selling guitars.

PS: I am 17, hate nearly all music made in the last 20 years, and think the Les Paul was the best guitar in the world, until they screwed up and put humbuckers in it.  Like Ted McCarty (the guy who, among others, deseigned the Les Paul) once said, "The best pickups in the world are single coils, and the P-90 is the ultimate single coil."
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
David Gilmore - Most under-rated guitarist...

Without a doubt!
BUT - everyone always seems to forget Tony Iommi too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's not forget Ed King, Allen Collins, Steve Gaines, and Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd,
George Lynch, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Randy Rhoads among all of the amazing guitar players previously mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of metal heads and rockers here...and that cool because almost everyone mentioned here is awesome in their own way...

But... Adrian Legg....is simply put...virtuouso.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
In addition to Mark Knopfler (who never gets enough credit IMO), there are lots of other great players I like...  Chet Atkins, Peter Green, Jorma Kaukonen, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, Leo Kottke, and LBNL, Rory Gallagher.    Also, the classical cats like Segovia and jazz greats are in a class of their own.    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#20]
You are neglecting...the man.

Tiny Tim
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Among the previous post apparently Randy Rhodes is the most underated.  I've only seen him mentioned once and I think he is the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Add Gary Moore to the list of good players no one knows about.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Thus it is written and is likewise immutable:

Alex Lifeson-underrated, great musician
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Hendrix's success is partly due to the fact that he was one of the first to integrate outboard procesing into his rig...ie. Fuzzface, wah, distortion (..through special Fender bassman cabs..) and on and on.  He laid the groundwork for much of the tone of today's guitar hero's IMHO

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget Brian Setzer. Because of him Gretsch guitars are still around. Oh and add Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, and Jimmy Vaughan. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thus it is written and is likewise immutable:

Alex Lifeson-underrated, great musician

Alex seems to have gotten his fingers back in shape recently.. he sounds great on that live DVD from Rio.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
ADAM JONES
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever hear of Michael Hedges??????
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Jimmy Hendrix-overrated

You can't even spell his fucking name right.

And anyone who says Jimi is overrated is a complete douchebag.  The man was a pioneer.  Just ask Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ever hear of Michael Hedges??????

HIPPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!,

sorry, he's not too shabby, any one ever hear Edgar Cruiz?  he's a classically trained guitarist that does covers of classics like Hotel California, what's really amazing is he covers all the different guitar parts at once and does it quite well
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#31]
For modern blues/fusion, there is only one--Scott Henderson.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone wonder where I stand on this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
And by the way, fuck Gibson.  John Suhr axes are the shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Chronologically: (1969)

Mr Jimmy Page--First and king of heavy metal rock-Led Zepl-lV

Steve Howe--Yes

Guy with Pink Floyd

Phil Keaggy

THe Monster Guitarist of our Time----STEVE MORSE
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Roy buccannon and danny gatton .No wonder they killed themselves u jackasses.Mike bloomfield could blow people away.John mc laughlin.Leslie west. Robbie krieger ? ever see him live?Music is like food how can you say who is best ?It`s personel taste.Warren haynes.Jeff healy/remember him?You guys need to hit a music store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#36]
No Zappa?  Remember when Steve Vai would be listed as "stunt guitarist" in the liner notes
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Roy buccannon and danny gatton .No wonder they killed themselves u jackasses.Mike bloomfield could blow people away.John mc laughlin.Leslie west. Robbie krieger ? ever see him live?Music is like food how can you say who is best ?It`s personel taste.Warren haynes.Jeff healy/remember him?You guys need to hit a music store.

Saw John mc laughlin/Steve Morse/Al DiMeola At Tulane 1983--
Fuckin Killaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Leslie west--Mountain?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No Zappa?  Remember when Steve Vai would be listed as "stunt guitarist" in the liner notes

Oh Yea almost forgot ZAPPA

Overnight Sensation
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#39]
all you 'lectric guitar peoples scare me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm no guitarist, but I've been around plenty of them, some VERY good ones (but none famous) and I'm a music guy, so I just talk about some of my favs...

SRV--the absolute all-time king of 'feel' or whatever you call it.  Stevie didn't so much as play guitar as channel some guitar force beamed in from another dimension.  He was like a lighting rod.   I've heard him in interviews describe it as something he did not even know from where or how it came.  Watch videos of him playing live and you'lll see it...I get goosebumps every time.  

Eddie--another great 'feel' player--underrated in that department.  Some of the stuff on Fair Warning blows my mind.  Great chops in his day.  

Steve Vai--maybe one of the most techinically gifted.  I remember watching my very talented friend practice Vai for hour/days/weeks and never really get it.  

Satriani--see Vai reference--similiar

Clapton--overrated.  Boring since Cream.  

Hedrix--pioneer, if you aren't black, you can't get Jimi

Dicki Betts--I love his style on the old Allman Bros. stuff.  More than Duane Allman (heresy I know).  

Jimi Page--riff master of all time

Vernon Reid--cool cat--metal-funkfusion muthafucka.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Chet Atkins
Buck Owens
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
all you 'lectric guitar peoples scare me.

Ain't that the kettle calling the pot black?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Best of the Best already named.

Is Frampton even worth a mention?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I forgot about that until now--WOW
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Best of the Best already named.

Is Frampton even worth a mention?

Who REmembers "Humble Pie"
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#47]
ronnie earl and the boradcasters

ronnie is another almost unknown gblues uitarist that is amazing
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Great guitarists in my book are tasteful ones, period. Many play well, but don't serve the song...which to me is more important than chops or style. I like a guy who plays what the song demands or even makes the song better by his playing.

In that light, here's my list of great (tasteful guitarists):

Mark Knopfler
Chet Atkins
Danny Gatton
Neil Gerardo (Pat Benatar's guitarist)
Elliot Easton
Michael Gurley (from Dada)
Junior Brown
The Edge (sue me, I think he sounds good)
Bill Nelson
Michael Smith
Nuno Bettencourt
Mike Campbell (Heartbreakers)
Brian Setzer
Earl Slick
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Everyone mentioned so far is great, but there have been several left out.

From the classic rock set:
Lindsey Buckingham
Joe Walsh
Brian May

From hard rock/metal:
Warren DeMartini
Marty Friedman
Slash

And then there's a couple of special mentions, personal faves of mine:
Prince - yes, Prince.  Say what you want but this guy kicks ass on guitar.  He is one funk-a-fied mofo.
Jerry Reed - funky ass country picker - his playing rules, plus he was super cool in "Smokey and the Bandit".  If you don't believe me, go out and get Jerry Reed Explores Country Guitar.  Or just go back and listen to the guitar breaks and solos in East Bound and Down.

And then two very special mentions
Ted Nugent - for obvious reasons... it's Uncle Ted.
Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - not only a kick ass musician he is a defense analyst and a consultant on Military defense and national security issues, mostly in the area of missile defense.  Yeah.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:50:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Steve Howe
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top