Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:10:15 AM EDT
My 5yr old son can't shut one eye while shooting as you can see from the picture. Anyone ever have this problem and solve it? I made him a eyepatch that works well but I don't want to depend on it. Anything short of throwing an Aimpoint on the Daisy???

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a reason he can't shut one eye I mean physically or something?
Or is it just that he isn't used to doing it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Use the other shoulder....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
He just can't do it. Maybe when he get's older???
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Kind of looks like might be left eye dominant.  Alot of guys put a patch of scotch tape over their left safety glass lens to obscure the sight picture from their left eye.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be left eye dominant.

Have him give lefthanded shooting a chance, and see what happens. You might be surprised.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
He's left eye dominant. When you see somebody crawling the stock trying to get that left eye down to the sights, you know.
 You can also do the test where he makes the "OK" sign with his hand. Then have him look at something like a light switch through the hole created by his thumb and trigged finger. Then cover each eye one at a time. Whichever eye he still sees the switch through is his dominant eye.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You should encourage him to shoot with both eyes open.  Sounds like he's ahead of the game.  Just figure out which eye is dominant and go from there.  Just keep in mind that shooting with both eyes open is preferred, just not many learn to do it.  I shoot with both eyes open even on my scoped rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem when I was a kid.  

My dad would stand over me and scream, "Shut your fucking eye or I'll gouge the sonofabitch out!"

It worked for me.

Seriously, I'd stick with the eye patch.  Seems like that could help him get a proper cheek weld.  Sometimes kids just have a hard time closing one eye at a time.  He'll improve with age.

Are you sure he's right eye dominate?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
He looks left eye dominate to me.

Test him to see if that is the case.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
He's definatly left eye dominant. I am too.hinking.gif Between that and my horrible eyesight (20:400), I just shoot left handed. My grandfather tried the patch method to try to help me, but because my mind can ignore any input from my right eye, it didn't work. Hell, for me it doesn't feel natural to try to shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Set him at a bench with a sandbag under the forend so that he learns to control the trigger with his left hand.  Once he is comfortable with that, let him support the rifle with his right hand.  I had to teach my son to shoot from a left hand stance and that worked for him.  Additionally, a youngster will gain more confidence and satisfaction when learning to shoot if he has success in hitting the target.  

The air rifle is better for teaching than a BB gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1 and use the other hand!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You should encourage him to shoot with both eyes open.  Sounds like he's ahead of the game.  Just figure out which eye is dominant and go from there.  Just keep in mind that shooting with both eyes open is preferred, just not many learn to do it.  I shoot with both eyes open even on my scoped rifles.

I've never been able to do that.  I always end up with:

A) Two sets of sights and one target.  Easy to start trying to aim with the wrong set.

B)  Two targets and one set of sights.  VERY distracting and I can't shoot worth a damn.

Is this just something people learn to overcome?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My 5yr old son can't shut one eye while shooting as you can see from the picture.

And that is bad why?

Both eyes open allows the shooter better situational awareness.  Good for hunters, soldiers, or self defense.

I'd say your son is off to a good start - he's learned something most shooters don't
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#19]
If he is left eye dominant, teach him to shoot left handed.  Don't try to force him to close his dominant eye.  He will become a better marksman if he can use both eyes.  He will also have more fun.  On the bright side, you will not have a reason to buy more firearms (for the south paw in the family).
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell him to shut that eye before you put the alter of sacrifice behind him back to use!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I could not keep one eye open either.

I can remember that once I did it once I could do it np.  As long as you keep doing it periodically after that you usually have no problems.

Sometimes if you dont do it for awhile you will find yourself unable to do it again.

Thats what I remember from my childhood anyways.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My 5yr old son can't shut one eye while shooting as you can see from the picture. Anyone ever have this problem and solve it? I made him a eyepatch that works well but I don't want to depend on it. Anything short of throwing an Aimpoint on the Daisy???

img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/MountainSerenity019.jpg[/qu

My 4yr. old son has the same deal.  It's just another thing to learn for kids and they will get there when they get there.  Give him time.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 on left eye dominant.  Run the test and see.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
the other boy in the pic has pretty good position....nice erect head. he should relax his offhand grip just a bit.

Yes, the 13yr old is quite a good shot. This day he out-did me with my RWS. He was getting some distance down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Both my kids are left eyed dominant and right handed.Im left eyed dominant and left handed.All my bolt rifles are left handed except the surplus ones.I could not have planned it better.If he is left eyed teach him to shoot lefty with both eyes open.It's the best way.An easy way to tell is to pick out a object across the room, have him form his thumb and finger into a circle at arms length. Look with both eyes open, Have him alternate closing one eye and then the other see which one he moves his head to see through the circle that would be his weak eye.

Shooting is the only thing we do to the left in this house!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top