Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 4:40:45 PM EDT
www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/wind_turbines/en/index.htm

I have been reading about these off shore wind turbines. Do they really put out a lot of power? Does anyone have good links on them or your thoughts about these?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They work great in places where the wind is always blowing, like the Tehachapi mountains, the Altamont Pass and the San Gorgonio pass.

If you live in an area where there is always wind blowing you might be able to get one set up on your property.

They do kill a lot of birds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I ment to put in the ocean, ect. to sell power to the grid? How much is a small one?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The utility companies only purchase power back at wholesale prices.

MT
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They have been building them like crazy around here in S.E. Washington state.
Hundreds of them have gone up along ridges and they are talking about building more in my county in the next few years.
It's free power, so I think its a great idea.   I heard the land owners get checks for thousands of dollars for the lease on the land.

We have it great, cheap hydroelectric power from the dams on the Columbia and the Snake rivers and now cheap wind power.  Thats one nice thing about living in the NW.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top