User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 3:11:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw that on the news last night !
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't say if they found the head though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Wreck: Cobb man charged after decapitated body found

By SAEED AHMED, BRENDEN SAGER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/29/04

A Marietta man left a bar early Sunday morning, got into an accident that decapitated the passenger in his pickup truck, then drove several miles home and went to sleep -- leaving the truck parked overnight in his driveway with the body of his friend hanging out the passenger side window, Cobb County police said.

Police said John Kemper Hutcherson, 21, of Marietta drove off a road soon after leaving a bar about midnight and hit a support wire to a telephone pole. The guide wire severed the head of his friend, Francis Daniel Brohm, 23, of Marietta.

Hutcherson then drove 12 miles to his home on Fox Hound Chase, where police found him Sunday morning in blood-splattered clothes.

A neighbor out on a stroll with his 1-year-old daughter called authorities after discovering the headless body in the parked truck about 8 a.m.

"It's hard for one to imagine that you would drive [several] miles from a crash site to your home, turning in various directions, and yet not know what has happened to a passenger sitting next to you in your vehicle," said Cobb police Cpl. Dana Pierce.

Hutcherson was charged with first-degree vehicular homicide, driving under the influence, failure to stop at an accident with death or injury and failure to maintain lanes. He was in the Cobb County Jail on Sunday night, held on $10,000 bond.

Police said that, before the two friends got to Runaround Sue's in Marietta late Saturday night, they had been at a house where they had gathered to watch a televised NASCAR event.

Brohm's father, Dan, said Sunday that Brohm, 23, was a mechanic who worked late on Saturdays and then met up with friends.

Police don't know how long the friends were at the bar but said the two left after Brohm felt sick.

Less than a mile and half from the bar, the pickup truck ran off Canton Road, traveled about 10 feet and hit the guide wire. Investigators have not yet determined how fast the truck was going when it crashed. Police would not say why Brohm was hanging out the passenger-side window when he was struck.

After the accident, police said, Hutcherson drove through a commercial and industrial district that changed to dark, narrow winding roads before reaching the two-story Colonial house where he lives with his mother and sister. He parked the 1992 Chevrolet Z-71 in the driveway leading to the house's two-car garage.

Except for the body in the passenger seat, the only thing amiss was the passenger-side mirror, which had been sheared off in the accident.

Later that morning, police found the severed head at the crash site on Canton Road.

The owner of Runaround Sue's said Sunday that the bar offers a courtesy van to take home intoxicated patrons. Before customers are allowed to enter, bar personnel check to see if they are inebriated, and the staff continues to monitor patrons' alcohol intake throughout the night, said owner David Ulmer.

"To my knowledge, these people weren't served alcohol at Runaround Sue's," Ulmer said. "It's unfortunate that we may have been the last stop they made before this horrendous incident."

Brohm's father described Francis -- Frankie to the family -- as a fun-loving person who had been friends with Hutcherson since high school.

"He was a very outgoing person who was very close with his friends and very close with his [two] sisters," Dan Brohm said.

Most residents in Hutcherson's subdivision refused to talk about the crash.

Next-door neighbor James Q. Collier, a retired engineer from Lockheed, said he has known Hutcherson for almost 20 years. When Collier was laid up because of an ulcer a few years ago, Hutcherson would come by to help with household chores, Collier said.

"That kid has never been any problem," he said.- Staff researcher Joni Zeccola contributed to this article.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
they found the head "some distance" from the body, ie: back at the scene where they struck the guy wire. not sure how far that is though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
i wonder if he was talking to the headless body on the way home?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
How drunk do you have to be to not realize your buddy doesn't have a head anymore?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How drunk do you have to be to not realize your buddy doesn't have a head anymore?

Maybe he was the quiet type?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i wonder if he was talking to the headless body on the way home?

"Yeah man, go ahead and get it all out... you'll feel better."

"Damn, you sure puke a lot...."

"Come on, let's go inside and pass out.  Oh... you're already asleep... ok, you can sleep in the truck."
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
thats not a good way to get a HEAD in life...

he will never be HEAD of a major corporation...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, can you imagine having driven down that road earlier before the police found the dude's head....

Junior: "Daddy, there's a man's head in the road back there!"
Dad: "Okay, that's it, Elizabeth! No more late night TV for Junior!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn man...you're bein' awful quiet.  Cat got yer tongue?

(Looks over at passenger)

HOLYGEEEEZUZKERISTSOMBITCHYEEEEHHAAAAAA!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
man, i am glad i do not havefriends like him, get me killed and leave me decapitated in the truck
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Look on the brightside, no hangover.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#18]
if my friend did that to me i would KILL HIM!!!!!
...and give him a piece of my mind...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
It's all GWB's fault.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Investigators have not determined whether Brohm was leaning out of the truck because he was sick from alcohol or whether veering off the rad cause him to partially lean out of the window.

According to investigators, the incident happened around midnight Saturday, shortly after the two left Runaround Sue's.

and the moral of the story is....
"Keep away from Runaround Sue's...."

hey! hey! whoaooooo...

(ETA - people under 40 will not get this)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#21]
?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#22]
How can this be first degree?  I can see manslaughter but no intent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dumbass drunk drivers.  

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

and the moral of the story is....

"Keep away from Runaround Sue's...."

hey! hey! whoaooooo...

(ETA - people under 40 will not get this)

You people are SICK...hilarous, but SICK!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

btw, I am under 40...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

He didn't intentionally kill the guy, but he was driving under the influence, failed to report it, failed to do anything other than go home and pass out. First degree may be a bit strong, but I can see why they're calling it a homicide.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Darwin kicks ass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#27]
cop>whos that headless body in your truck<cop

guy>i don't know. whats he look like?<guy
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#30]
What did it hurt to drive home and get off the road?  Its not like medical attention would have saved his buddy!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Darwin kicks ass.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#33]
CPR has its place but...LOL!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Darwin kicks ass.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Damned drunk drivers!!!  

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
"Hey Billy, ya wanna drive the rest of the way home?  I'm really drunk.  Billy, Billy why don't you answer me?  Billy, I said ya wanna drive home?  Shit you can just sleep in the truck tonight I'm goin in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't intentionally kill the guy, but he was driving under the influence, failed to report it, failed to do anything other than go home and pass out. First degree may be a bit strong, but I can see why they're calling it a homicide.

Yep. Manslaughter alone is second degree, so along with the rest of the offenses, the only way to go is up.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What did it hurt to drive home and get off the road?  Its not like medical attention would have saved his buddy!  

You doctors are so negative.  Some duct tape and little surgical super glue and he would've been good as new.  He prolly had no insurance!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn, I thought this was in Iraq
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Death resulting from the comission of a felony, maybe?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I find it hard to fathom that someone could be so drunk they could do something like that and not realize it, yet they can somehow manage to arrive home.

It's just too bad they didn't catch him immediately after this happened, while he was still driving drunk off his ass. This fool will probably be out driving around again once he gets out after serving 1/10th the time of his light sentence, if he ends up in the clink at all...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last week someone did CPR on the guy who offed himself at a gun range with a shot to the noggin.  

maybe the guy preforming  cpr is gay and just wanted to kiss the guy.
or a necrophiliac?

or a freaking moron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top