Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 6:31:03 PM EDT
I know this is probably off topic but I thought it was interesting and thought I'd post it anyway.

My best friend got drawn for Elk bow hunting in Idaho and was warned by his Idaho friend that for the last two years they have encountered bear during their bow hunts.

My budy bought a 480 Ruger for handgun bear protection and decided to try a non-scientific "wet phonebook test" as seen in this pic.

The cartridge in the middle is a .44 Rem Mag.
The cartridge on the left is a hand load with a 350gr. Hawk soft point bullet.
The cartridge on the right is a factory Hornady 325gr. hollow point.

The 325gr. factory soft point penetrated 16" with the classic mushroom and had a recovered weight of 300gr..
The 350gr. Hawk bullet penetrated 23" with virtually no deformation at all and had a recoverd weight of 340gr.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Some states don't allow firearms on archery hunts by the hunter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top