Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 9:22:14 PM EDT
I have been playing texas holdem for fun so far I am up 10,000 in play money.

my real money account I am up 6 dollars starting with 10bucks.

I'm I good or do others suck? Is it that easy to win when you are playing for fun?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I put in $15 dollars once and turned it into $100.  I won most of that in about a four hour strech.  After that session, I found myself loosing more than winning so I cashed out.  I'm not exceptionally skilled at poker, but consider myself pretty well informed on poker strategy.  Play money sessions are good practice, but in no way demonstrate how a real money game will play out.  I've found the most realistic play money games are tournements because at least the players stand to lose their seat at the virtual table.

The average skill level of the online player has been increasing in Texas Hold'em due to its recently popularity.  That said, there's still a sucker born every minute.  Your best bet is to play only at full tables (10 people) and only play exceptional hole cards.  It's really slow to play this way, but you're sure to turn a profit if you only play when you're sure you'll win.

According to others I know that play online more extensively, Omaha Hi/Lo is the new game of choice for winning the big bucks.  Lots of people play Omaha without understanding how the strategy differs from Hold'em.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Online poker seems to attract a lot of dumb money, like dotcom stocks did during the final 6 months of the boom, when people who never invested before in their lives started buying anything because they were sick of hearing how everyone was making an easy killing while they were missing out.

Poker's kind of like daytrading.  The top 10% players who are good end up taking all the money from the 90% of the chumps who don't know what they're doing and who are looking for quick easy money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
if your winning who cares if your good???

I dont know if I am good or bad but I play very tight, it always works out for me. Its not as exciting as the guys who win a bunch then lose a bunch but I usually come out a head.

the other day I folded 3 kings! The other guy raised a bit and I was pretty damn sure he had the straight draw, sure enough he did.

95% of the new players wouldn't fold that hand for anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You have been lucky as of yet, you are too new to be good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
play money games are TOTALLY different than real money games. people play so much different.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
To find out how good you are, play a cash no limit game.  Play tables are just that, PLAY TABLES.  To sharpen up (at least as far as online poker is concerned) play a pot limit game for change.

I still play for fun just to pass time, though.

stop by here too:  Poker Thread

good luck.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Play money don't count, I was up to $335k on real poker. I wished it did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top