Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 5:55:32 PM EDT
You know, I'm not a prude in any way, shape or form but this is just plain fucking WRONG

www.ncbuy.com/news/2004-08-26/1010422.html

Crunching Numbers Can Be Sexy

SYDNEY, Australia (Wireless Flash) -- A new math book could make the subject a lot more interesting for bored teenagers: It shows the connections between crunching numbers and having sex.

"Mathematics and Sex" (Allen & Unwin), uses math equations to answer age-old questions such as, "How many people do I have to sleep with before I find the perfect partner," and "How do male and female orgasms compare?"

Author Clio Cresswell says math has a better track record for predicting outcomes than psychology or other sciences that are traditionally used to analyze sex.

Applying math to sex is useful, she says, because it reveals consistent human behavior patterns which can give us more insight into our sex lives.

While it is Cresswell's dream to stir up passion about math with her book, she admits some prudes may get in the way -- such as the school officials who confiscated the title when her friend's teenage daughter brought it to class.

Already a hit in Australia, "Mathematics and Sex" hits the U.S. next week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's always the "prudes" that get in the way of progress.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can think to say is

Australia>
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Apply game theory to sex.

What a bunch of fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While it is Cresswell's dream to stir up passion about math with her book, she admits some prudes may get in the way --

She has the liberal dance down pat.  State loudly up front that anyone who would disagree with you is inherently defective.  They must be, otherwise they wouldn't disagree.  

So, let me guess some of the examples in the book:

1)  You are a 14 year old girl, you have unprotected sex with 4 male partners (average 3 sexual "interludes" per week).
 a) How many foodstamps will you need by the time you are eighteen, unmarried, and have 3 illegitimate children?
 b) How many blow jobs must you give to strange men every week to support your crack habit?

Extra Credit:  what are the statistical odds that you will have an abortion before you are 20?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Somehow, for a variety of reasons, this seems most appropriate here....

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my math problems better.

How many moral-lacking teachers can little Johnny take out with his AR10A4 using one single round of 175gr SMK?

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top